Proposed U.S. $12,500 tax credit . . . BUT

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ev-tax-credit-increase-12500-biden-build-back-better/

It sounds like President Joe Biden and congressional Democrats have a deal on the president's multitrillion-dollar social spending bill, now known as the Build Back Better framework. The nearly $2 trillion in spending includes a much-talked-about boost for the electric vehicle tax credit from $7,500 to $12,500.

On Thursday, the White House announced dollar figures and initiatives included in a package that "can pass both houses of Congress," it said. Specifically for the EV tax credits, the long-floated $12,500 for purchasing an electric vehicle is included as part of $555 billion earmarked to combat climate change. According to the White House, eligible EVs will need to be made in the US with union labor to qualify for the full $12,500 credit.

Existing requirements for this boost from the current $7,500 credit for qualifying EVs breaks down in a few ways: The base credit is still $7,500, but an additional $2,500 comes into play if an automaker builds the EV in America. The government would green light the remaining $2,500 if the car in question comes from a factory with a union workforce.

There may also be a separate few hundreds' worth of the credit included from using US-sourced batteries and materials for the EV, but additional details about the overall credit's provisions aren't yet available.

The initial announcement underscores this premise: "The framework's electric vehicle tax credit will lower the cost of an electric vehicle that is made in America with American materials and union labor by $12,500 for a middle-class family."

Now, Build Back Better will guide an actual piece of legislation as Democrats in the House and Senate develop the bill through the budget reconciliation process. It should, barring any bumps in the road, also pave the way for Biden's bipartisan infrastructure bill to pass both chambers.
Sponsored

frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag
It doesn’t matter to Taycan buyers, since the tax credit will only apply to cars with a <55,000 MSRP.

It will be interesting to see what this does for adoption for mass market EVs, especially since VW is going to start building ID4s in Chattanooga.

OP
OP

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
It doesn’t matter to Taycan buyers, since the tax credit will only apply to cars with a <55,000 MSRP.
Where did you see the 55k cap? Is that what is being proposed?

frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag
I saw the summary over on r/electricvehicles:

To be fair I don’t know what the final legislative text says.

OP
OP

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
I saw the summary over on r/electricvehicles:

To be fair I don’t know what the final legislative text says.
Lovely. Thanks. Certainly consistent with what Biden is trying to achieve . . . unfortunately.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This is a Democratic bill, I expect it will not apply to even the base Taycan. Democrats have a thing about seeing any money going to anyone who can afford any car which does anything more than take you from point A to B. Those people got lucky in the lottery of life and need to pay their fair share, not get subsidies. Democrats don't understand encouraging/subsidizing new technologies, they only look at the short term optics - we let someone who can afford a new EV keep some of their taxes, no way! If they really have their way, they will pass a great $12,500 incentive for EV's, but the conditions will be such that nobody will qualify (e.g. cannot make more than $40K a year, which means almost anyone who can afford a new EV will be disqualified, and even if they swing it, they don't have a $12,500 federal income tax liability - the bill has changed since btw, it longer requires a tax liability to get the full incentive like the current $7,500 incentive). I saw an earlier draft of this bill which was very close to that. I remember thinking, Democrats are brilliant, they can pass this, claim the glory of incentivizing EV's, but it will cost them nothing because nobody will qualify! Genius!

PS> If I read the news correctly today, this bill didn't go anywhere either. Apparently to pass a $550B infrastructure bill the Democratic representatives are demanding that it be tied to a $1,750B social spending bill, or they will not pass it. Welcome to politics, "feed poor children" bill gets tied to "give money to me and my constituents" or I will not vote for it.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Specifically for the EV tax credits, the long-floated $12,500 for purchasing an electric vehicle is included as part of $555 billion earmarked to combat climate change.
Anyone not brain-washed knows climate change is BS.

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
that is made in America with American materials and union labor
The additional tax credit only applies to EVs "that are made in America with American materials and union labor". Only if made with union labor?! WTF? So in Biden's America non-union workers are not American? Such a sellout to the progressives!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
If the US started penalizing automakers like the EU does, then it would encourage EV adoption.
There isn't any serious competition for EVs in the US untill 2025 at the earliest.
GM & Ford would benefit the most from the tax credits, but they only have the Bolt & Mach e which are low volume.

Taycan wouldn't get the credits and will hurt the sales especially on the highest volume RWD variant.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
The additional tax credit only applies to EVs "that are made in America with American materials and union labor". Only if made with union labor?! WTF? So in Biden's America non-union workers are not American? Such a sellout to the progressives!
Theyre going after Tesla, the american EV company who revolutionized the EV market world wide. Imagine if they did to ford and the model T. Its shameful, they didnt even invite elon musk to their events. He is sending rockets to space. Shame is the name of the current administration.
Sponsored