ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since Jan 2019 there have been articles that Porsche will be offering free charging for 3 years.

All this new hype for Ionity charging costs I believe is created by Tesla fans to further attack Porsche.

Porsche offers 3 years free fast charging (limit 30min session)

3 years Free Electrify America
EA pricing details details attached (update April 2020)
3 years Free Electrify Canada
EU pricing info (update April 2020)
3 years free membership with special pricing for Ionity for Europe (Update)
General Charging Porsche Article
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Since Jan 2019 there have been articles that Porsche will be offering free charging for 3 years.

All this new hype for Ionity charging costs I believe is created by Tesla fans to further attack Porsche.

Porsche offers 3 years free fast charging (limit 30min session)

3 years Free Electrify America
3 years Free Electrify Canada
3 years free Ionity for Europe
General Charging Porsche Article
Interesting that there will be three years free charging?

I read the Taycan info that the access was free for three years in EU at least.

From your link from Ionity Europe I copied the following:

"Reach your destination safely and quickly.
Porsche customers benefit from uncompromising mobility while on the road. When purchasing a Taycan, you receive three years’ free access to the speed charging infrastructure of our joint venture partner, IONITY, where can charge your car at preferential prices."

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting that there will be three years free charging?

I read the Taycan info that the access was free for three years in EU at least.

From your link from Ionity Europe I copied the following:

"Reach your destination safely and quickly.
Porsche customers benefit from uncompromising mobility while on the road. When purchasing a Taycan, you receive three years’ free access to the speed charging infrastructure of our joint venture partner, IONITY, where can charge your car at preferential prices."
Thank you for pointing out my miss-reading of that. I have updated my original post to say special pricing not free in Europe.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
With Porsche Card (free for Taycan owners) you only pay €0,33/kWh at Ionity.

Maingau offers a better solution: €0,25/kWh if you're Maingau customer, otherwise it's still only €0,35/kWh.

But there's a small catch: after 60min DC or 240min AC charging you pay "parking money': €0,10/min.

https://www.maingau-energie.de/e-mobilität/Autostrom-Tarif#preismodell

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@moneymil
Agreed, that is what I was trying to communicate in my first post. Free 30min sessions for Electrify America and Electrify Canada.

Covered 3yr Ionity membership in Europe which makes rates about 0.33 euros per kW as I understand. With default Ionity pricing so high as to keep the chargers pretty proprietary to owners of Ionity Auto manufacturers except for emergencies.

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m looking forward to the three years of free charging, but plan to mostly charge at home.
A couple things I noticed about the current EA pricing in the US:
- Charging at the max rate from 5% to 80% is about the same cost per mile as gasoline.
- The price charged is based on the max charge rate for the entire session. That’s a little tricky as one tier is 1-125 kW and the next tier is 1-350 kW. It seems if you pull up to a 150 kW charger, you will pay the same rate per minute as the 350 kW chargers for a slower charge. (I know the vehicles don’t currently charge at 350 kW but it seems like a tricky way to squeeze some extra money out of people who probably don’t care too much anyways.)

Also, on the EA app, you can see when a station was last used. Many haven’t been used in over a week. I sure hope the business is sustainable and charging gaps start to get filled in with more high-speed chargers!

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m looking forward to the three years of free charging, but plan to mostly charge at home.
A couple things I noticed about the current EA pricing in the US:
- Charging at the max rate from 5% to 80% is about the same cost per mile as gasoline.
- The price charged is based on the max charge rate for the entire session. That’s a little tricky as one tier is 1-125 kW and the next tier is 1-350 kW. It seems if you pull up to a 150 kW charger, you will pay the same rate per minute as the 350 kW chargers for a slower charge. (I know the vehicles don’t currently charge at 350 kW but it seems like a tricky way to squeeze some extra money out of people who probably don’t care too much anyways.)

Also, on the EA app, you can see when a station was last used. Many haven’t been used in over a week. I sure hope the business is sustainable and charging gaps start to get filled in with more high-speed chargers!
Yes it's true that the tiers are 1-75, 76-125, and 126-350. Based on charge rate at start of session. The Taycan will nearly always start above 125kw unless the battery was very full to begin with or very cold. Normally it's able to pull even 120kw at 80% SOC which is spectacular for an EV. So looking at the 5-80% charge and say even the, I feel overly conservative 200 EPA figure. Then 150mi in 22.5min at 60 cents per min in Colorado for example with membership pricing as it's a no-brainer to join if you use them more than twice a month. It $13.80 for a 3/4 fill-up. Figure gas at $3.50/gal for Premium for a performance car. So 4gal of gas or 37.5mpg. That sounds better than you would expect from a Panamera or 911 to me.

This is a moot point for Taycan at EA as it's free for 3 years, but their pricing is similar to other DCFC providers so it's good to know.

400 vs 800:
Realize that EA only provides 140 to 200kw at 400v depending on the charger. The 270kw that the Taycan can draw is only available when drawing at 800v and 350kw would need 900v to keep the current down. That's how I read the specs from the side panel plates anyway.

Side topic:
EA is a very reasonable price for a Chevy Bolt BTW as it cannot pull more than 54kw so would only be 15 cents per min. Even a 90 min charge would be only $13.50 and that would be about 5-90% too.

Last edited:

stranexuk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GolfGTD
Country flag
Does anyone know if UK customers will benefit from free charging at Porsche centres?? I can’t find anything definitive

Also can’t find any reference to the “preferential rates” offered by Ionity in the Uk? Their network here is so sparse at present as to be next to useless. Although they state plans for 40 stations in the UK by end of 2020 I can only see the current plus planned totalling around 15. Anyone aware of the proposed locations for the additional 25??

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Definitely can charge at Porsche centres. Some are being fitted out with rapid chargers. I expect it to cost something but not sure yet. Will check in Thursday when I’m at showroom.

stranexuk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GolfGTD
Country flag
Definitely can charge at Porsche centres. Some are being fitted out with rapid chargers. I expect it to cost something but not sure yet. Will check in Thursday when I’m at showroom.
Thanks! Be good to get a clear answer so I can work out economics of ownership. Have a very tempting hire quote via my employers low emissions car scheme

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@stranexuk I easily found the non member pricing here:
From January 31, 2020 onwards, direct customers pay according to the following pricing scheme:
  • Customers pay per kilowatt hour (kWh)
  • No contract
  • No hidden cost
EURO zone countries*EUR 0.79
United KingdomGBP 0.69
SwitzerlandCHF 0.79
PolandPLN 3.50
CroatiaHRK 6.20
DenmarkDKK 6.20
NorwayNOK 8.40
SwedenSEK 8.70
Czech RepublicCZK 21.00
HungaryHUF 280.00

All prices include local VAT.

* Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Ireland, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Slovenia

For preferential pricing the best I could find was here:
Porsche also released an update and told us that drivers of the Taycan will charge at 33ct/kWh at Ionity’s high power charging stations.

Other UK Ionity news.

stranexuk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GolfGTD
Country flag
@stranexuk I easily found the non member pricing here:
From January 31, 2020 onwards, direct customers pay according to the following pricing scheme:
  • Customers pay per kilowatt hour (kWh)
  • No contract
  • No hidden cost
EURO zone countries*EUR 0.79
United KingdomGBP 0.69
SwitzerlandCHF 0.79
PolandPLN 3.50
CroatiaHRK 6.20
DenmarkDKK 6.20
NorwayNOK 8.40
SwedenSEK 8.70
Czech RepublicCZK 21.00
HungaryHUF 280.00

All prices include local VAT.

* Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Ireland, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Slovenia

For preferential pricing the best I could find was here:
Porsche also released an update and told us that drivers of the Taycan will charge at 33ct/kWh at Ionity’s high power charging stations.

Other UK Ionity news.
Thank you! Yes I’d see the “direct customers” pieces but not that related to the contract drivers you linked to

Be very keen to hear if Porsche are offering discounted (free?!?) charging at Porsche centres as there’s one just round the corner from my partner who live 105 miles away!!!!

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I believe that it would be free at dealerships or Centers @stranexuk ; however, I would just call the center and ask.

I had asked at the local dealership near me and sadly they are only installing more 240v chargers and have no plans for "Turbo Chargers" (Porsche's cute name for the DC fast Chargers). They stated that they did not have the power infrastructure to support it. I think it's just that they are a smallish dealership in San Jose.