19.2kW (AC) charging option on Taycan?

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
For public chargers you’ll want to prefer DC chargers anyway. Also, v1.0 of a tech heavy new car line. It’s going to have .... foibles and the .2 generation will be a lot better.
Are you holding off on the purchase of 1.0?
Sponsored

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
For public chargers you’ll want to prefer DC chargers anyway. Also, v1.0 of a tech heavy new car line. It’s going to have .... foibles and the .2 generation will be a lot better.
22kW onboard charger is not exactly rocket science and neither are supplying an EV with a standard mobile charger. Every other company has managed to deliver they’re EV’s complete with both standard mobile charger and a type 2 cable, Porsche seems to be more interested in milking their customers for as much as they can.

When it comes to DC chargers, of course I prefer them, the only problem is there are precious few of them in the areas I visit on my road trips in Europe. However, there is plenty of 22 kW AC chargers, just wish I could use more than 50% of what they can deliver.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I appreciate the disappointment of those who really want the faster charger. However, after 5 years and 3 Tesla's I do not remember even a single time having a need to charge in 5 rather than 10 hours - since the car is full next morning anyway. Not opting for the faster charging solution saved me $3500 - model S used to have a second inverter ($2000) to allow for the 80 A Wall charger ($1500k) so you get faster charging. I imagine that if ever I come home on empty and need to leave immediately I would have to put up with a 15 minute charge at the local supercharger. I think the 350 kW charging stations will be soon as common as the Tesla SC - so why worry?
I guess we look at this in a different way due to the anticipated use case. And what I have seen in the plans fo Ionity, there will not be anywhere near the number of charging stations in Europe in the near future!

I f you like above are going to use the car as a daily driver going to and from work, 11 kW would be absolutely fine. I agree that is plenty for overnight charging.

However if you, like me, are going to use the car for long distance social trips visiting other countries, 11 kW is far too slow. I would also like to go to rapid chargers of 350 kW at that time, but they are not that common. I would also go to a 50 kW DC charger but again they are far and few in between. There is an abundance of chargers with 22 kW around though! That level of charge will get you on your way to a rapid charger quickly. And why does a company as tech Savvy as Porsche not include that in their Taycan?? And extra charges o include a 150 kW DC charging facility.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you holding off on the purchase of 1.0?
no, but different people have different circumstances. 1.0 is more of a risk (or inconvenience) for some.

it’s possible to still be excited about the taycan despite its many v1.0 issues. Charger. Range. Infrastructure. Restricted options until late 2020.

I still want a Tesla performance level EV that handles like a German sports car. Taycan is still that at 11Kw.

my biggest problem is Porsche won’t take my money. No allocation, no eta on an allocation, seems really unlikely I’ll see a car before June. If my build slot is even later than that (see no eta) then I might cancel.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
no, but different people have different circumstances. 1.0 is more of a risk (or inconvenience) for some.

it’s possible to still be excited about the taycan despite its many v1.0 issues. Charger. Range. Infrastructure. Restricted options until late 2020.

I still want a Tesla performance level EV that handles like a German sports car. Taycan is still that at 11Kw.

my biggest problem is Porsche won’t take my money. No allocation, no eta on an allocation, seems really unlikely I’ll see a car before June. If my build slot is even later than that (see no eta) then I might cancel.
I’ve been told you can ‘retrofit’ a 22kw charger when they become available, but it you will need to pay the cost of replacement. Since I’m one of the very lucky folks that has an electrify America bank of stations about a mile from my house, I’ll see how the 11kw home charging goes, and if I need a quick charge I can get one down the road.

I’m not sure I understand the 11 vs 22kw home charging problem. If your car is fully charged every morning, why would you want to go back home to recharge at a measly 22kw when you can get 10x that charging elsewhere? If you’re driving that many miles per day, I would think your best bet would be to locate a high voltage station somewhere on your route and have a cup of coffee. Why would you want to stop off at home for an hour to get 50-60 miles?

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I’ve been told you can ‘retrofit’ a 22kw charger when they become available, but it you will need to pay the cost of replacement. Since I’m one of the very lucky folks that has an electrify America bank of stations about a mile from my house, I’ll see how the 11kw home charging goes, and if I need a quick charge I can get one down the road.

I’m not sure I understand the 11 vs 22kw home charging problem. If your car is fully charged every morning, why would you want to go back home to recharge at a measly 22kw when you can get 10x that charging elsewhere? If you’re driving that many miles per day, I would think your best bet would be to locate a high voltage station somewhere on your route and have a cup of coffee. Why would you want to stop off at home for an hour to get 50-60 miles?
Not so much wanting to rather, even in a Tesla, you will probably be far enough away from a fast charging platform for the foreseeable future that the home charging becomes a go to place to charge even during the day, obviously also depending on your usage case......

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree use case is the differentiator here.

For Home or Work charging I completely agree that 11 kW is plenty.

I want 22 kW AC charging as a backstop when travelling. Of course if the D.C. charging of 50 kW or above up to 370 kW is well built out, there is no need. But if you have never looked at a map detailing the UK with 100 kW chargers and above, you will be in for a surprise. There are not many.

Home charging at 11 kW absolutely sufficient.

Emergency charging in less developed roll out countries like the UK: Not so good unless you are extremely patient with a huge demand for coffee! 11 kW will not cut it!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well things just got a bit more interesting. According to a technical magazine in Sweden, Ionity have stopped rolling out further charging stations pending a strategic review mid 2020. Whatever that means? They have about 140 stations at present with 50 in the pipeline in Europe. According to that article they will review further locations later?

https://europe.autonews.com/supplie...w-tech-partnerships-ev-infrastructure-builder

Even more reason to have a 22 kW charging options in the Taycan.

Anybody else heard more about this?

Last edited:

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Well things just got a bit more interesting. According to a technical magazine in Sweden, Ionity have stopped rolling out further charging stations pending a strategic review mid 2020. Whatever that means? They have about 140 stations at present with 50 in the pipeline in Europe. According to that article they will review further locations later?

Even more reason to have a 22 kW charging options in the Taycan.

Anybody else heard more about this?
Well, they have a few more than that.
172 + 72 = 244 as we speak.

https://ionity.ev-info.eu/

But they're still a long way from the promised 400 stations by the end of next year.

Regardless of what happens, 22 kW charging option in the Taycan is very important since HP chargers are mainly located along motorways and other major roads. So not much help when your'e driving in areas off the beaten track.

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think this whole forum topic is primarily for European countries. Certainly not a big issue for America. We have Zero 19wkw or 22kw AC plugs Anywhere. The best you can find is 240V 50A (single phase) at RV parks, no places of business or alongside the road. So having the 9.6kw in the US is plenty.

I will admit some folks in the US with 300 or more Amp circuits at their homes could easily add a 100Amp circuit for a 19.2kw, but again I don't think it would be of any great advantage to most folks that charge overnight anyway. Though a shorter charge time allows shifting the charge to the lowest rate time.

Abdullah

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hello
Today,I get answer Porsche Service.
They told me,If you ordered 11 KW Ac,It can not be change anymore.
Later , It can not be upgrade or add any Hardware.
It is bad news...
And I have a question,Can you help me please..

Mobile connect charge hang on 22KW, Can we adjust 11Kw or more lower?
If i hang on 22KW,It will damage car?

I can not find any video or details about it.Is there any adjustable place in mobile charge?

Mobile connect charge has got inverter system?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello
Today,I get answer Porsche Service.
They told me,If you ordered 11 KW Ac,It can not be change anymore.
Later , It can not be upgrade or add any Hardware.
It is bad news...
And I have a question,Can you help me please..

Mobile connect charge hang on 22KW, Can we adjust 11Kw or more lower?
If i hang on 22KW,It will damage car?

I can not find any video or details about it.Is there any adjustable place in mobile charge?

Mobile connect charge has got inverter system?
You Will be fine. If the charger is capable to deliver up to 22 kW, it will be regulated by the charger in the car. For AC charging it is the cars charger that brings it up to 800 volt for the battery. You will not damage the car in any way!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just found these chargers 1.5miles from my house!!

upload_2019-10-10_12-10-50.jpeg
upload_2019-10-10_12-11-13.jpeg
Have you had a chance to enquire what the charging rates will be for your Taycan at these chargers.

I have just seen that IONITY here in Europe have released their new charging prices. 0.79 euro cent per kWh.

It will mean I will pay quite a bit more to drive a Taycan on a long trip through Europe, than what it would cost me to drive my V8 575 BHP BMW M5! And that only runs on the highest and most expensive grade of petrol?

They must be smoking something special in the office is all I can say!!
They are of course owned by the German Car producers, so it could be the strategy to keep selling ICE cars?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Have you had a chance to enquire what the charging rates will be for your Taycan at these chargers.

I have just seen that IONITY here in Europe have released their new charging prices. 0.79 euro cent per kWh.

It will mean I will pay quite a bit more to drive a Taycan on a long trip through Europe, than what it would cost me to drive my V8 575 BHP BMW M5! And that only runs on the highest and most expensive grade of petrol?

They are of course owned by the German Car producers, so it could be the strategy to keep selling ICE cars?
This is incorrect. Remember the 0,79€ pricing only applies to cars with no contract. For example Tesla's. BMW, VW group, Mercedes etc have special contract pricing. Audi had published their pricing which is 0,33€ / kwh (+18€ monthly fee). We'll see what the Porsche pricing is but I'd expect similar.

Another thing: the 0,79€/kwh for cars with no contract applies to max 100kw charging. Using full 350kw actually costs 1,29€/kwh! Contract pricing might be the same regardless.

Anyway, what this assures is that we'll not see a lot of Tesla's taking up space at Ionitys and they will always be available for us. I actually like this model. If I'm not in a hurry I'll use a slower charger. And usually I will not need the Ionity's, and when I do, they will most likely be available.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Am I correct in assuming that only those of us in the US and Canada get the 3 years of free charging?
Sponsored