Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
With the myriad of choices I would appreciate anyones real world experience with home level 2 chargers for the US. My Turbo arrives in June and need to set up garage with the right charger, Thanks.
Sponsored

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
With the myriad of choices I would appreciate anyones real world experience with home level 2 chargers for the US. My Turbo arrives in June and need to set up garage with the right charger, Thanks.
Can I ask why you’d consider getting an additional charger other than they one they make you buy (mobile charger connect)? It seems like a no brainer to just use that...

OP
OP
Skier

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hmmm...good point.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Can I ask why you’d consider getting an additional charger other than they one they make you buy (mobile charger connect)? It seems like a no brainer to just use that...
In my experience with plug in vehicles, you're going to want one left in the outlet in the garage and one to leave in the frunk for when you might need it at another location. There are some hotels and other facilities that have charging stations that only feature an outlet. You also don't want to do a lot of plugging and unplugging of the EVSE from an 14-50 outlet.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In my experience with plug in vehicles, you're going to want one left in the outlet in the garage and one to leave in the frunk for when you might need it at another location. There are some hotels and other facilities that have charging stations that only feature an outlet. You also don't want to do a lot of plugging and unplugging of the EVSE from an 14-50 outlet.
YMMV, but in my case it will be very rare that I’d need to unplug the EVSE and bring it with me. I would think that would be the case for most people. These things are expensive enough that the minor hassle of unplugging and packing the EVSE is worth the savings. Plus it saves space in the frunk to not have it in there all the time. Again, YMMV.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I have two ChargePoint chargers a ChargePoint 32AMP & and ChargePoint 16AMP both on 50amp circuits in my garage and love them. The can be controlled via a phone app they are also easy to program for off-peak scheduled charging!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skier

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Which model/amps do you have? Thanks

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Insure you have a 14-50 outlet installed and use the included charger to start with. If that meets your needs, stick with it. If you find you are taking it with you a lot, consider another one. Just about any will get the job done.

This is the process I used for my Model 3. I don't think I've ever had to take the 'mobile' charger with me, even on a trip. But that's just me.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
This is the process I used for my Model 3. I don't think I've ever had to take the 'mobile' charger with me, even on a trip. But that's just me.
I think you are probably about 50% maybe even more but if you do go off the beaten path even a little then you always need to have a mobile "charger" with you and extra end pluggs to suit different types of sockets you can encounter on the road...… In Europe as well as in the US... I always carry 4 principal plugs with me. This way I am covered 95% of the time. :)

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anybody looked into whether the cost to install a new circuit and charger at hone qualify under the Federal 30% tax credit? Maybe even the cost of the original mobile charger connect would qualify.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Has anybody looked into whether the cost to install a new circuit and charger at hone qualify under the Federal 30% tax credit? Maybe even the cost of the original mobile charger connect would qualify.
Home electrical does not qualify. But if you want to be absolutely sure I recommend speaking with your tax planner.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It would be good if there was a sticky thread that explained the available tax credits, and how to apply for them.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
While the car itself qualifies for a $7,500 tax credit in the US, I presume you are asking about the EVSE/Charger itself? If so, the answer is a complicated "maybe, but probably not". I've been driving electric for 8 years now and when I got my first EV I installed an EVSE in my garage and fully expected to be able to claim the "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit". As it turns out, I was not eligible, and I doubt many of us are. Before I go on, I should state that I am not a lawyer or a tax professional, and the tax laws have changed somewhat in the intervening years, so any or all of this may turn out to be no longer true.

The way the federal Charging credit rule is written, the credit can't reduce your tax burden lower than the independently calculated Alternate Minimum Tax. Even if you don't end up actually paying AMT, what I found (and most others found) is that this renders the credit unobtainable for many. I would think that most people who can spend Taycan money on a car are likely to be in the same boat. See the following for more details: http://aecn.timehorse.com/2011/02/ev...tive-fuel.html and https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911

I would love to be wrong, so if anyone has better luck please let me know!
Sponsored