I ask and answer: Why won't my Taycan Charge as fast as I want it to?

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
Anyone else here with a very recent Taycan (I picked up mine in mid December) having difficulty starting a charge at EA stations in the San Francisco Bay Area of California?

I am constantly struggling to get a charge started. In the past I was able to start a charge reliably by initiating the start charge from the mobile app by picking the station. Today that didn’t work and the station I used to be able to charge at kept telling me that my car “timed out”. I then called Porsche Connect and they asked me to turn on plug and charge (which didn’t work for me before so I had turned it off). After I turned it on I was asked to turn off the vehicle and just plug in — and these steps started the charging process successfully … this time.

What steps have been most successful for folks with very new Taycans?
Sponsored

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Are these the new EA chargers or the old?

Chuck J

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
The new ones are taller and the single cable is longer compared to the two shorted ones on the previous generation.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I don't know how cold it is in Silicon Valley, but the battery needs to be 90 degrees to get a good charge. I recommend you use the "battery saver" charge function. At 30 degrees OAT, I get 100KW all the way up to 90%. Using that function basically gets the same chrge spec in 25 min instead of 22.
EA can also be the problem, but I have not had any problem on the old chargers.

Chuck J

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The new ones are taller and the single cable is longer compared to the two shorted ones on the previous generation.
Thank you and Good to know. I have only seen ones with 2 charging cables around here. But I know the station I generally charge is fairly new (no more than 2 years old?)

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know how cold it is in Silicon Valley, but the battery needs to be 90 degrees to get a good charge. I recommend you use the "battery saver" charge function. At 30 degrees OAT, I get 100KW all the way up to 90%. Using that function basically gets the same chrge spec in 25 min instead of 22.

Chuck J
Thanks for those tips. I have turned on battery saver + plug and charge. I’ll report back with my experience.

irish_spring

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW M4, BMW X7
Country flag
Anyone else here with a very recent Taycan (I picked up mine in mid December) having difficulty starting a charge at EA stations in the San Francisco Bay Area of California?

I am constantly struggling to get a charge started. In the past I was able to start a charge reliably by initiating the start charge from the mobile app by picking the station. Today that didn’t work and the station I used to be able to charge at kept telling me that my car “timed out”. I then called Porsche Connect and they asked me to turn on plug and charge (which didn’t work for me before so I had turned it off). After I turned it on I was asked to turn off the vehicle and just plug in — and these steps started the charging process successfully … this time.

What steps have been most successful for folks with very new Taycans?
No issues for me at south bay locations. I've done OK at Stanford, Saratoga Ave, Los Gatos, Almaden and Valley Fair. Plug and Charge working fine thankfully.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It seem like your insrastructure is well built out there unlike ours in AR and OK.

Chuck J

Last edited:

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Chuck J
I set the location of the charger in nav and drove there. Travel time was about 18mins. When I plugged in, the battery was not heated up to 90. Any idea what may have prevented the preconditioning? I thought it would automatically do that if I tell the car I am going to charge by entering the charger destination in the nav.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
I set the location of the charger in nav and drove there. Travel time was about 18mins. When I plugged in, the battery was not heated up to 90. Any idea what may have prevented the preconditioning? I thought it would automatically do that if I tell the car I am going to charge by entering the charger destination in the nav.
Battery heating wont engage in range mode, but sometimes it takes more than 18 minutes. between 85-95 is the ideal range i think though.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
No issues for me at south bay locations. I've done OK at Stanford, Saratoga Ave, Los Gatos, Almaden and Valley Fair. Plug and Charge working fine thankfully.
Same. Have been really lucky around the Bay Area. I've never really had an issue with charging itself, just the occasional "! Charger not available".
Sponsored