ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Damond so cool you went to Tech Tactics, I was thinking about making it to that show in November as well but my older son was not so interested and it did pose some timing challenges along with the unlikeliness of a test drive I decided to wait. Sorry you have yet to get a test drive. I have has the opportunity to test driven a Taycan Turbo twice :cool: for short drives ~15-20min from Stevens Creek Porsche, it was so planted I feel confident in it. I was hoping to test drive in Saratoga Hills, but no luck before the shutdown now. :(
Good you will give EA some suggestions, I really see them as doing an aggressive roll out as they have $2B to spend.
I really think these 50kW chargers are a bad idea near freeways. In the middle of cities at malls & such, OK. Where a 30-60min charge and shop and still not get that much power makes sense then OK. I would really hope all major vendors like EVgo will start installing 150kW chargers as the new default soon. The only fast EVgo I know of is in Baker California where they have a 350kW that went live back in June 2018. I have spent many an HR at EVgo stations mostly in San Luis Obispo even on a Bolt EV they are slower than an EA station.
I agree that I had hoped a major US gas station chain would take up EV Charging, Shell I know in Europe has started something, I don't think its significant yet even there though, just a prototype. Also I did notice the Terrible Herbst stations in and around Vegas doing this. That is forward thinking, but again I would bee-line to the Electrify America in Vegas (with another one coming at Sam's club).
I agree many EA chargers at Walmart but also several at Sam's and Target. I think once they work out a deal with their management it streamlines the process its easy to get stuck on particular vendors. I am happy as long as it's near freeway, a ~24hr restroom, and dining.
You take care & Stay Safe too.
Sponsored

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Cabriolet (991.2)
Country flag
Ron_b, Just to let you know I sent messages to both Electrify America and EVgo suggesting they put a 50kW or better charging station along i-40 in Needles CA. I will be interested to see what they have to say. Mentioned the situation of not being able to get there (Las Vegas) from here (Tucson/Phoenix) particularly in the heat of the summer, because there aren't any 50kW stations along the 220 mile route between Blythe CA/Quartzite AZ and Las Vegas along US-95. I will be interested in their response. Given the cessation in production in Stuttgart and other factors I would suspect I wouldn't see my possessing a Taycan 4S much before summer of 2021. I waited 5 months for my 911, so its no big deal for me to have to wait. Let me know if you are still in line to get yours. Sounds like you have driven your Bolt or another EV around the Southwest here. I see its generally no problem to drive an EV up and down I-5 between San Diego and even north of SF, Also, doesn't look like a problem on I-15 from SoCal to Las Vegas. Guess the charging station in Baker is next to the Tallest Thermometer in the World..

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes @Damond I did a 1000 mile road trip to Joshua Tree National Park, only one Level 2 charger in 29 Palms, but we went mid week so all was great. That was over a year ago pre-Electrify America so it was a little challenging. And Bolt only charges at max 54kW. Lot's of shopping and eating. :cool:

FYI EA just opened a charger in Barstow just yesterday. The trails are getting better and better. I so want to take some large road trips with 270kW charging, 20-30min stops are so much more manageable.

Yes I am still in the queue for a 4S.

Last edited:

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ron_B, Hopefully you are still on schedule for delivery in September. I am now published...my Southern Arizona Porsche Club published my "expose" on not being able to get there (Las Vegas) from here (Tucson) in a Taycan 4S. Used nothing but Porsche "official" sources on range and Google Maps, Electrify America, Alternate Fuels Data Center, and PlugShare web-sites for distances & locations of charging stations. You have seen bits and pieces of this "research" article. Haven't gotten any response from Electrify American or EVgo on my "suggestion" to put a 50kW charging station in Needles CA. Enjoy and Stay Safe

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ron_B, Hopefully you are still on schedule for delivery in September. I am now published...my Southern Arizona Porsche Club published my "expose" on not being able to get there (Las Vegas) from here (Tucson) in a Taycan 4S.
You published an "expose" when you yourself said you don't know the answer?

Still haven't seen any facts/figures/test results associated with what happens both range wise, and inside cabin temperature wise when the outside temp is 110F, the Range mode/ECO PLUS is selected, and one starts out with only an 80% charge.
or did you get actual results since you posted the above?

where did you get the info about the 4S in those conditions?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Damond Well I did slip to early October but dates are still quite fluid. I am hoping for a surge of manufacturing when Germany re-opens, but we will see.
As far as Tuscon to Vegas, I was just looking on ABRP and see the only real challenge is from Williams to Vegas at ~220mi but pretty much all down hill so I think it would be doable even at 70mph. I would certainly carry an EVSE and stop at Kingman, AZ if needed. Like "Fort Beale RV Park" with 14-50 plugs. Agreed that some DCFCs needed in this area. Best of luck to you too.

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reg, The "expose" was based on the lack of a charging station between the 200+ mile distance between Blythe CA and Henderson/Las Vegas and an estimated 200 mile range of a Taycan 4S with the 93.4kW battery. This was estimated using the Porsche.com/middle east/Dubai Range Estimator, set for the max temperature of 104F (40C), and ECO Plus (Range Mode) AC setting, and 40% country/60% Motorway profile. This estimator starts out with a 100% charge, yet after 1.5 hours in Blythe charging at 50kW, one can only get to 80% as shown in the Porsche Car Configurator.USA for a Taycan with the 93.4kW. Even with those figures it is highly unlikely one could drive US95 the estimated 210 miles from Blythe CA to Henderson/Las Vegas when its 110-115F in a Taycan 4S unless one possibly drove at less than 50mph. Can you imagine driving a roadway that has a 65mph speed limit with the average traffic going 70-80mph! At this point unless there is a Porsche based test showing the Taycan can get 250 miles on an 80% charge in 110-115F weather, the only solution is a 50kW charging station in Needles CA!

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reg,
According to Electrify America (EA), the only coming soon charging station is at a Love's Travel Center in Quartzite AZ. Quartzite AZ is on the AZ CA border along I-10, and it is even farther away from Henderson/Las Vegas NV than the EVgo charging station in Blythe...about 230 miles. So even with its higher charge rate capability of 270kW, it still doesn't solve the problem of getting to Henderson/Las Vegas along AZ95/US95 with a vehicle that might get 200 miles on an 80% charge in 110-115F weather. As I told Rob, I notified Electrify America of the dillema and have had no response. Until EA or EVgo or any other EV charging company puts a charging station somewhere along US95, or Porsche can prove it gets at least 250 miles on an 80% charge in 110-115F when driven at 65-70mph along a roadway such as US95 between Blythe/Quartzite, I am not willing to be the test case for taking a Taycan 4s with a 93.4kW battery...not worth the anxiety. Love the car and its technology, but not plunking down $110,000 to not be able to use it as I would like to when I would like to. So at this point, I will stay with my 2017 911 Cabriolet!

Damond

First Name
Damond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reg.
PS. I actually included the 50kW charging station map from PlugShare for the desert Southwest area in my expose showing that there is this great hole in both existing and coming soon charging stations along major roadways in the area bounded by I-17 on the east, I-40 on the North, I-15 on the west, and I-10 on the south. Take a look at what is available on the I-40 between Flagstaff AZ and Barstow CA, and Tucson/Phoenix AZ and Henderson/Las Vegas NV via I-10 and US95. PlugShare's route planner shows that with a range of 200 miles there is no route one can take from Tucson/Phoenix to Las Vegas. Also, using the route planner in the government's Alternate Fuels Data Center (AFDC.com) web-site, the only route from Tucson/Phoenix to Las Vegas was a 655 mile route: I-10 to I-15. After Blythe CA along I-10 there are sufficient 50kW charging stations starting at Indio CA (I-10), then to Hesperia CA (I-15), then to Baker CA (I-15), and onto Las Vegas. None of which was any farther apart than 100 miles. Them's the facts associated with charging station locations. And despite my requests from Porsche dealers, and Porsche North America directly, the only FACTS I have about the Taycan 4S range is from the Porsche.com/middle-east/Dubai range estimators, and the published EPA range estimates of 192 miles for the Turbo S, and 200 miles for the Turbo. Both EPA estimates are done on a dynamo-meter under controlled conditions using SAE1634 procedures, so there is still a lot of controversy over their accuracy. Frankly, at this point I believe I have some pretty solid FACTS associated with both the Taycan 4S range and the location of charging stations that would support a trip from Tucson to Henderson/Las Vegas using only 80% charging en route and temperatures of at least 104F (40C). Until someone actually drives the route this coming summer in temperatures above 110F, and documents that they were able to drive it at the speeds normally driven along the I-10/US95 route, I guess all that there is is the official Porsche.com range estimates to depend on. I told a Porsche saleman I would buy the Taycan 4S outright if he drove it this summer from Phoenix to Las Vegas. He hasn't taken me up on the offer! BTW. An Audi eTron would have the same dilemma as it only has a range of 200 miles or less! I figure I have done as much research on this as could be done.
Moving right along.......
Sponsored