In December Porsche Delivered First 130 Taycan In The U.S. (Sales Figure Chart)

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Wow Cayenne figures for the US have doubled in 2019

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, BMW 640i
I don’t think it is true. What I mean that probably 130 were delivered but mostly demo cars for dealers, there is no way it is already 130 owners

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Taycan 4S (Reservation)
I don’t think it is true. What I mean that probably 130 were delivered but mostly demo cars for dealers, there is no way it is already 130 owners
I understand your thinking that, and I initially thought that if the word was only "delivered", but they say "sales". I do not believe that the US dealerships pay for inventory up front, so their demo cars could not be counted as sales until they get sold. That's my thinking anyway. Maybe someone on the forum with car dealership knowledge.

Miwa

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
The demo car I drove had a used car Monroney on it. The salesman said they had to take off the original because it's not considered a new car anymore. (Also, they got in 2 and were allowed to sell one of them to a VIP customer).

So I think all the demos count as sold orders.

PetroK

First Name
Petro
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, BMW 640i
I understand your thinking that, and I initially thought that if the word was only "delivered", but they say "sales". I do not believe that the US dealerships pay for inventory up front, so their demo cars could not be counted as sales until they get sold. That's my thinking anyway. Maybe someone on the forum with car dealership knowledge.
US dealerships pay upfront for inventory in most cases

Reg

Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
US dealerships pay upfront for inventory in most cases
the car is not titled so it isn’t considered sold.

if it was “sold” to the dealer, it would not be eligible for the Federal ev subsidies when it is sold to the consumer

Reg

Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
The salesman said they had to take off the original because it's not considered a new car anymore.

So I think all the demos count as sold orders.
if it is not a new car, then it isn’t eligible for the federal ev subsidy so it is effectively 7500 more than a new one. Same applies to the state subsidies.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
the car is not titled so it isn’t considered sold.

if it was “sold” to the dealer, it would not be eligible for the Federal ev subsidies when it is sold to the consumer
they may be registered to a member of staff !
That’s what some dealers do in the uk

Miwa

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
if it is not a new car, then it isn’t eligible for the federal ev subsidy so it is effectively 7500 more than a new one. Same applies to the state subsidies.
Given that they can't sell it today, it'll be like any other used Taycan on the market when they are allowed to sell it. It'll be worth whatever a used Taycan is worth. Probably less, because people think of dealer demos like buying a used rental car.

Reg

Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
Given that they can't sell it today, it'll be like any other used Taycan on the market when they are allowed to sell it.
Why can’t they sell it today?
if they bought it and paid for it, they own it.

if they aren’t allowed to sell it, then it wasn’t sold to them and the numbers we are looking at are for consumer sales.

cometguy

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 Sport Turismo E-Hybrid
Right, but I'd assume that you'd get money off it for being a "used" demo car, plus whatever the dealership would have made in federal/state credits/rebates. I sure would press a dealership on that point, and I wouldn't accept anything less than a hefty discount on such a Taycan.

cometguy

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 Sport Turismo E-Hybrid
Wow Cayenne figures for the US have doubled in 2019
In fact, Porsche was down on sales on ALL their vehicles for the entire year except for Cayenne (and, of course, Taycan). I guess that the new-look Cayenne has grabbed a lot of new customers. It's interesting that Cayenne sales have almost equalled Macan sales in 2019.