TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Leather objectively makes next to no difference on resale of a Porsche, that's just an old upsell technique. You're going to get somewhere between 0% to 35% of it's cost on resale, period.

The standard interior in the Taycan is really quite nice, it's a big upgrade from the standard interiors Porsche has used before. It's nice enough that if you're just going black leather it's probably better to spend the money elsewhere.

With that said, the two tone leather options are stunning and if you're interested in one of those it's well worth the money.
Maybe in the US it does not but in the UK not many people will want a £100k car without a basic luxury such as leather. It’s not about the % recouped but more about saleability.
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Maybe in the US it does not but in the UK not many people will want a £100k car without a basic luxury such as leather. It’s not about the % recouped but more about saleability.
Agreed. UK buyers would not buy a car at >50k GBP without leather. In fact my first merc at 40k had leather!

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting, do Porsche owners in the UK do more private sales than trade ins?

Also it will be interesting to see if private party resale of the Taycan is more negatively impacted by leather as many EV buyers want an animal free car.

Maybe the UK is drastically different but to be clear to US buyers the leather option will not retain value on resale/trade in. On trade in you'll get close to 0% of the initial price, up to 35% on private sale. This is supported by actual sale data and all of the better car valuation systems in the US.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't get it but it is just an option and will not significantly increase the value of your car and have negligible or zero impact on trade in(In the US at the least.)

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting, do Porsche owners in the UK do more private sales than trade ins?

Also it will be interesting to see if private party resale of the Taycan is more negatively impacted by leather as many EV buyers want an animal free car.

Maybe the UK is drastically different but to be clear to US buyers the leather option will not retain value on resale/trade in. On trade in you'll get close to 0% of the initial price, up to 35% on private sale. This is supported by actual sale data and all of the better car valuation systems in the US.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't get it but it is just an option and will not significantly increase the value of your car and have negligible or zero impact on trade in(In the US at the least.)
I’m not sure if on selling leather would actually increase the second hand value, it’s more that second hand owners will be looking for that in a Porsche and would look to get money off in a car without it. That’s my own personal view but I think that would be accurate for most second hand buyers. Porsche bring a luxury vehicle, we all feel that leather is more lux than cloth etc.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Leather objectively makes next to no difference on resale of a Porsche, that's just an old upsell technique. You're going to get somewhere between 0% to 35% of it's cost on resale, period.

The standard interior in the Taycan is really quite nice, it's a big upgrade from the standard interiors Porsche has used before. It's nice enough that if you're just going black leather it's probably better to spend the money elsewhere.

With that said, the two tone leather options are stunning and if you're interested in one of those it's well worth the money.
I'm in the UK and totally agree with you. Having owned several new Porsche's my experience is that having the 14way comfort or 18way adaptive sports seats for example carries more weight on resale than a little bit of leather on the dash.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I wonder how the leather free Race-Tex interior will do over there.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I doubt many, maybe very low percentage will opt for leather free options in the UK. Maybe some very green aware people. Be interesting to poll it though. Could be wrong and just set in my ways..

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Range Rover Did a Leather free option on the Velar. The dealer head is a very good friend of mine here in London and they had a VERY hard time trying to sell their demonstrator car which took over 9 months to sell as it did not have leather.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
I still struggle to fine clear standard vs full, vs vegan vs olea pictures anyone have them

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range Rover Did a Leather free option on the Velar. The dealer head is a very good friend of mine here in London and they had a VERY hard time trying to sell their demonstrator car which took over 9 months to sell as it did not have leather.
A RR in cloth! Bad demo car! No much wonder it took ages to sell.

kevinod

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 971
Country flag
My Turbo S is leather free.

Maybe I’ll be so unique people are queueing up to buy it from me! Or I’ll PCP it so won’t care and will just pass the keys back to the dealership

I’ve had leather in every car I’ve owned in the last 10 years and it’s either cold in the winter or sweaty in the summer.

kevinod

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 971
Country flag
NO heated or cooled seats then? :D
Both actually, but the hybrid Panamera I have at present is the only car that was actually really usable before getting in it.

I had preheat on a BMW once and it basically made the car about 2 degrees hotter than it was outside...useless
Sponsored