Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW?

ralf

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've read numerous articles and technical specs, however, I'm still confused: Is the current version of the Taycan limited to 9.6 kW charging in case AC is delivered to the car or does it charge at 11 kW? Some articles state, that the current onboard charger can do 9.6 kW at maximum, which would mean, that even with 3 phase AC current, the Taycan would only charge at 9.6 kW. Is this correct?

I do understand, that as soon as we talk DC (= the rectifier being outside the car) everything changes.

Could somebody shed some light into this for me? :)
Sponsored

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
I’ve been told the car can accept 11kw.
I suspect it might be the charge cable/controller that is maybe limited to 9.6?

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I’ve been told the car can accept 11kw.
I suspect it might be the charge cable/controller that is maybe limited to 9.6?
If you have installed 3 phase 400V 16A circuit, it gives you 11 kW, which Taycan is capable of. The limitation is which type of circuit you have or install.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So is 11kw an option in the US? My understanding is that you’d install a 40 amp circuit, which at 240 volts gives you 9600 watts. But why can’t you do 11kw, if the car can charge at that? I’m interested in this because I’ve been talking to my electrician about installing the line to charge my car in the garage.

As an aside - he told me that all the car charging setups he’s done before were 100 amp circuits. He said he’s done a bunch, I think all were for Teslas. Does that make sense? I guess it was for 110 volts?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
So is 11kw an option in the US? My understanding is that you’d install a 40 amp circuit, which at 240 volts gives you 9600 watts. But why can’t you do 11kw, if the car can charge at that? I’m interested in this because I’ve been talking to my electrician about installing the line to charge my car in the garage.

As an aside - he told me that all the car charging setups he’s done before were 100 amp circuits. He said he’s done a bunch, I think all were for Teslas. Does that make sense? I guess it was for 110 volts?
My suspicion for the setups that your electrician has installed for Teslas is the Wall Connector, which is a permanently installed EVSE. For that, you do see lots of people installing on 100 amp circuits, since the minimum required circuit is 60 amps to get the maximum output. There is no outlet, which is mostly what people have been talking about to date; I do not know of a solution that would allow that kind of output that relies on an outlet (seems risky). The Wall Connector, when operating at its maximum output, will deliver 11.5 kW.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My suspicion for the setups that your electrician has installed for Teslas is the Wall Connector, which is a permanently installed EVSE. For that, you do see lots of people installing on 100 amp circuits, since the minimum required circuit is 60 amps to get the maximum output. There is no outlet, which is mostly what people have been talking about to date; I do not know of a solution that would allow that kind of output that relies on an outlet (seems risky). The Wall Connector, when operating at its maximum output, will deliver 11.5 kW.
Thanks. So what do you have installed to get the 11.5? The advice I’ve seen here is to have a NEMA 14-50 plug connected to a 50 amp circuit, and the car will draw 40 amps and charge at 9600 watts.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You have to have a hardwired EVSE, not one that plugs into an outlet. Examples include the Clipper Creek HCS-60. Porsche doesn't really sell something of this type (to my knowledge).
Really?! Interesting. So you can get 11.5 amps of charging but only with something like the clipper creek EVSE? And this will work with cars sold in the US? Sounds good to me. Why isn’t everyone talking about doing this? It’s only 10% faster charging, but 10% seems improvement enough to be worth doing.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really?! Interesting. So you can get 11.5 amps of charging but only with something like the clipper creek EVSE? And this will work with cars sold in the US? Sounds good to me. Why isn’t everyone talking about doing this? It’s only 10% faster charging, but 10% seems improvement enough to be worth doing.
These are unusually expensive and the wiring to install is significantly harder to install and more expensive. In some cases, it can’t be installed at all because of physical limitations in the desired location. All for a small increase in charging time that you will benefit from maybe once a year. You’ll also not get any Porsche app-related monitoring that you get with the Porsche-branded mobile EVSE. People don’t really talk about it because they don’t think they will need it.

I have been plugging in my car for over a decade. If you can top off overnight, you have plenty of charging power.

BTW, I was wrong. You can plugin to get 11.5 amps; you need a much more obscure plug, however (NEMA 14-60). Wall Wattz has one.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
These are unusually expensive and the wiring to install is significantly harder to install and more expensive. In some cases, it can’t be installed at all because of physical limitations in the desired location. All for a small increase in charging time that you will benefit from maybe once a year. You’ll also not get any Porsche app-related monitoring that you get with the Porsche-branded mobile EVSE. People don’t really talk about it because they don’t think they will need it.

I have been plugging in my car for over a decade. If you can top off overnight, you have plenty of charging power.

BTW, I was wrong. You can plugin to get 11.5 amps; you need a much more obscure plug, however (NEMA 14-60). Wall Wattz has one.
Thanks. I need to learn more about this. These actually look less expensive than the porsche charger (I know you're not supposed to call it a charger.) Regarding monitoring, don't things like the ClipperCreek EVSE give you comparable information to the Porsche one? And isn't the most important info coming from talking to the car itself? (State of charge.)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. I need to learn more about this. These actually look less expensive than the porsche charger (I know you're not supposed to call it a charger.) Regarding monitoring, don't things like the ClipperCreek EVSE give you comparable information to the Porsche one? And isn't the most important info coming from talking to the car itself? (State of charge.)
The device is similar, the installation is another matter. I suppose it depends on your garage. This isn’t the kind of cable that can be snaked through the ceiling; they will need to take out part of the ceiling boards and probably cut into multiple joists. If you have an unfinished garage and the breaker box is in the garage, it is a lot cheaper. My box is quite a few rooms over and my garage is completely finished. I won’t be doing it as a result. Too disruptive.

I don’t know exactly what information is available in the Porsche app, I just know that people have discussed it.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The device is similar, the installation is another matter. I suppose it depends on your garage. This isn’t the kind of cable that can be snaked through the ceiling; they will need to take out part of the ceiling boards and probably cut into multiple joists. If you have an unfinished garage and the breaker box is in the garage, it is a lot cheaper. My box is quite a few rooms over and my garage is completely finished. I won’t be doing it as a result. Too disruptive.

I don’t know exactly what information is available in the Porsche app, I just know that people have discussed it.
K. I’ll talk to my electrician. My garage is finished, but there ~is~ a breaker box in it. One of 7 in the house... Seems like I also need to evaluate the features of the Porsche EVSE (still hate calling it that), vs alternatives like clipper creek.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
The Porsche car monitoring is not related to EVSE (obviously) and my Porsche charger has not app, just a web interface for settings, which are really not required. But I would second the fact that the difficult of hardwiring a 100a circuit to get slightly faster charging rate is simply not worth it. At 9KWHr the car can charge from empty to full in 11 hours or so, at 11 KWHr maybe 9, is that 2 hours really that important?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Tesla Model S can come with a larger on board charger that can utilize 80 amps. So a hundred amp circuit would be what is needed. As far as what I read the on-board charger for the US will only utilize 40 amps so a 50 amp circuit is all that would be used. My understanding of the 11kW is only with 3 phase power and currently only on European models. However, if I were getting a new circuit I would get at least a 240V 60A circuit so it could support 11kW should there be an upgrade available. The only issue is you want to get a NEMA 14-50 plug and they are called 14-50 because they are rated at 50A and the breaker is supposed to protect the wire and the outlet. Maybe your electrician knows where to find a NEMA 14-50 that is rated at at least 60A.

See the Porsche charger pulling 40A (9.6kW)
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-6-weeks-cross-country-journal.879/post-11029
Sponsored

Last edited: