Monitoring charging power consumption

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Does either the standard "Porsche Mobile Charger Connect" (or the associated app) allow you to monitor how much power you use when doing your nightly charging? I'd be interested in seeing the draw at the current moment, as well as daily/weekly/etc totals for how much power I used to charge the car, as well as what it cost me.

If it doesn't give you that info, I guess I'd look into setting up a monitorable current clamp on my charging line.
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
If it doesn't give you that info, I guess I'd look into setting up a monitorable current clamp on my charging line.
I use the Curb system. It works very well.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
A link would have helped
Sorry. :(

Can Curb do that? How?
Yes. Unlike the Sense system, Curb has multiple clamps which you put on the circuits you want to monitor. Here's what my home is doing right now.
Porsche Taycan Monitoring charging power consumption 1585441682932

When I'm charging the "EV Charger" spikes up to 9-10kW.

Isn't the Sense supposed to differentiate the appliances using power? It might be able to isolate the car charger. I dunno.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ah, ok. Sense tries to be “smart” by using signal processing algorithms to detect individual device types by their “signature” when they turn on and off. It’s cool when it works, but it often doesn’t and just groups all unknown devices together. They have to write code for every device type and I’m not holding my breath for them to add recognition of the Taycan charger. So maybe I’ll get Curb. But in theory, Sense would be better for me. I have 8 electrical panels in my house, so it isn’t practical to put a current clamp on every breaker.

So the Porsche charger can’t tell you your power usage?
Sponsored