• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

PASM worth it?

Pandaaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Hey guys,
Looking to get the Macan EV for my mother and when going through the configuration, in Australia it's an extra 2,880 AUD to get the Porsche active suspension management. I was wondering if it is worth the 2880, I want the ride to be as smooth as possible so I wouldn't mind paying it but would someone like my mum who just drives short distances around town even feel the difference? In addition to this, would the car have a low entry mode when opening the car door if it comes with the PASM as this is a feature that is really helpful on the Model X.
Thanks

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
It's your mum you should definitely give her the luxury!!!

Seriously though really depends on the roads around you.

OP
OP

Pandaaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
It's your mum you should definitely give her the luxury!!!

Seriously though really depends on the roads around you.
The roads are pretty good to be honest, maybe like 30% would be highway driving as well. I was leaning on the side of getting it because to be honest 2,880 isn't much in the grand scheme of the car but if it doesn't change the ride experience then I thought there wouldn't be much point cause shes also not one to change the ride height at all as well.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
The roads are pretty good to be honest, maybe like 30% would be highway driving as well. I was leaning on the side of getting it because to be honest 2,880 isn't much in the grand scheme of the car but if it doesn't change the ride experience then I thought there wouldn't be much point cause shes also not one to change the ride height at all as well.
Well it can adjust the ride height automatically to be more efficient on the highway … so it’s not only a comfort thing.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
We have pretty good roads but i will be optioning the PASM as i want the ride to be the most comfortable. I do also like the fact i can have the car high as default and then lower on entry.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Well it can adjust the ride height automatically to be more efficient on the highway … so it’s not only a comfort thing.
PASM does not mean you can adjust ride height, it just changes the dynamics of the suspension

Steel Spring Suspension with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Electronically controlled active damping system with four manually selectable modes ("Normal", "SPORT", "SPORT PLUS*" und "Offroad").

You need Air Sus to change the ride height (it includes PASM)

Adaptive air suspension
Air suspension with Porsche Active Suspension Management adaptive damping (PASM). Fully load-bearing air-spring struts, a total of five ride-height positions and possibility to lower rear axle to loading level, variable damping system with continuous regulation of damping force to reduce body movements as the situation demands, PASM damper mapping with four manually selectable modes ("Normal", "SPORT", "SPORT PLUS" and "Offroad"). Includes self-levelling function

Lets not think that the standard suspension is going to be anything other than very good.
Perfectly adequate for almost anyone, certainly me and CERTAINLY perfectly ok for my mother.
I guarantee that most mums will not change their PASM setting from NORMAL one, single, solitary time the ENTIRE time they own the car.

Save yourself £700 or A$2500 or whatever it is
OR just get the air suspension so its easier to load the shopping

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
We have pretty good roads but i will be optioning the PASM as i want the ride to be the most comfortable. I do also like the fact i can have the car high as default and then lower on entry.
The most comfortable setting with PASM is NORMAL.
That is what you get with the standard suspension.
SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Off Road modes wont make it more comfortable
Dont bother with PASM unless your mum is going to do track days.
Get Air sus for greater comfort.
Air Sus is the only way you can change the ride height.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Apologies - i got it wrong!! i meant i'm going for Air suspension not the PASM ! oops!

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Apologies - i got it wrong!! i meant i'm going for Air suspension not the PASM ! oops!
Excellent, just clarifications
There has been extensive and endless confusion on Taycan Forum between PASM and Air Sus
The 2WD Taycan with Steel Sus always had PASM unlike Macan where it can be specced separately
The Air Sus on Macan and Taycan always includes PASM

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Excellent, just clarifications
There has been extensive and endless confusion on Taycan Forum between PASM and Air Sus
The 2WD Taycan with Steel Sus always had PASM unlike Macan where it can be specced separately
The Air Sus on Macan and Taycan always includes PASM
Any news from your dealer Ross on your order ? I'm still waiting for them to come to the showroom still...dealer said expected in july / august surely that can't be right ?

Wilsonchrs4

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 m50
Country flag
New to Porsche here. I’ve ordered a macan EV with steel springs and PASM. I,ve always had BMWs and the standard suspension was always sport suspension and too harsh for everyday driving. The adaptation suspension in normal gave a softer drive with the ability to put it into sport mode to stiffen it up for spirited driving.
Is Porsche not the same?
I assumed the normal steel springs would always be sporty but the pasm option would give the best of all words. Slightly softer in normal and more sporty in the other setting or am I wrong. Sorry this is my ever Porsche so don’t know the brand much.

Chris from UK

OP
OP

Pandaaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Ah this is what I wanted to know, if it lowers on entry, thats exactly what she needs cause its easier on her knees.
Yes you are right my bad, I meant the air suspension as when looking at the configurator both the steel springs and air suspension have PASM, the only option is steel springs with PASM or pay more for air suspension with PASM which I believe I'll get now considering everyone is saying air sus is greater comfort and the lower on entry and during highways for better efficiency are good features for sure.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Ah this is what I wanted to know, if it lowers on entry, thats exactly what she needs cause its easier on her knees.
Your mum will always drive it in normal mode with the suspension at normal height. Will she remember to drop it to get in and out?
It doesn’t lower on entry! You have to get in and turn it on to lower it which sort of defeats the object!
I am pretty sure when you park up a Taycan it returns to normal mode. You have to reset sport/low etc each time you get in.
The Macan will be the same. Does 20mm lower make it much easier on the knees? Does 20mm higher make it much easier to load?
I might take Air Sus. I wouldn’t ever bother on a Mum Macan.
They probably won’t ever make use of the features and won’t notice a difference if they do.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
PASM does not mean you can adjust ride height, it just changes the dynamics of the suspension

Steel Spring Suspension with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Electronically controlled active damping system with four manually selectable modes ("Normal", "SPORT", "SPORT PLUS*" und "Offroad").

You need Air Sus to change the ride height (it includes PASM)

Adaptive air suspension
Air suspension with Porsche Active Suspension Management adaptive damping (PASM). Fully load-bearing air-spring struts, a total of five ride-height positions and possibility to lower rear axle to loading level, variable damping system with continuous regulation of damping force to reduce body movements as the situation demands, PASM damper mapping with four manually selectable modes ("Normal", "SPORT", "SPORT PLUS" and "Offroad"). Includes self-levelling function

Lets not think that the standard suspension is going to be anything other than very good.
Perfectly adequate for almost anyone, certainly me and CERTAINLY perfectly ok for my mother.
I guarantee that most mums will not change their PASM setting from NORMAL one, single, solitary time the ENTIRE time they own the car.

Save yourself £700 or A$2500 or whatever it is
OR just get the air suspension so its easier to load the shopping
I meant Air Suspension 😂

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Your mum will always drive it in normal mode with the suspension at normal height. Will she remember to drop it to get in and out?
It doesn’t lower on entry! You have to get in and turn it on to lower it which sort of defeats the object
I am pretty sure when you park up a Taycan it returns to normal mode. You have to reset sport/low etc each time you get in.
The Macan will be the same. Does 20mm lower make it much easier on the knees? Does 20mm higher make it much easier to load?
I might take Air Sus. I wouldn’t ever bother on a Mum Macan.
They probably won’t ever make use of the features and won’t notice a difference if they do.