Porsche resorting to Tesla old marketing tricks?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I was looking at the Porsche site with someone who is considering one. I quickly noticed a marketing trick upselling the PBP
Porsche Taycan Porsche resorting to Tesla old marketing tricks? 1696713558246

Notice from the above it would seem like the PBP adds 35.6% more range. Until you realize of course that the two range estimate standards are not the same (EPA vs. AMCI). AMCI range for standard battery is 252, so PBP only adds 11.9%, which is significantly less than the implied 35.6%. This reminded me of when Tesla used to compare 0-60 without rollout on non-preformance models to 0-60 with 2ft rollout for performance models to make performance seem like a bigger improvement than it really was. Tesla eventually stopped doing it, perhaps Porsche will at some point too.
Sponsored

Winterfell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CT 4S
Country flag
To your point, eventually, Tesla did not stop doing it.

Porsche Taycan Porsche resorting to Tesla old marketing tricks? Tesla_1

Tesla should also get their Asterix sorted out too, it could be a bit confusing by the first look.

Porsche Taycan Porsche resorting to Tesla old marketing tricks? Tesla_3

Porsche Taycan Porsche resorting to Tesla old marketing tricks? Tesla_2

Just be clear, every company uses marketing tricks to present products to their advantage. It is always the consumer that has to educate themselves to shine a light through the marketing fluff.

Tesla is taking it in cases to a confusing level. The main page of the Tesla S shows the price of the regular Tesla S, the speed and range is from the Tesla S Plaid. You have 2 Asterix's, one in speed and the other on the Tesla S price, but the Asterix reference is for the Price not the speed.

The first price you see is the price after fuel savings. When looking into the detail, this is based on a 3 year period, where the average US fuel price is being of abut $4 and for the calculation an average kW/h of $0.16 is used compared to kW/h price is $0.23 in the USA. Furthermore, when using the Tesla Superchargers in the Bay Area, the kW/h prices range from $0.48-$0.58 during day time, in the middle of the night they are lower. The estimated savings vanish very fast.

Again, all companies do their marketing fluff, like an Apple, Google, Audi, Porsche, it does not matter. Some are more extrem than others. :rock:

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
What I meant was Tesla stopped directly comparing rollout to non-rollout numbers, which is similar to Porsche directly comparing EPA vs. ACMI ranges. I totally agree with you on marketing stretching the truth, which I also dislike immensly. Direct comparison of incompatible metrics to me is taking it to the next level (it would be like comparing max speed of two cars, they using an asterisk to clarify that one is in mph and the other in km/h).
Sponsored