svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Don,
It was a fantastic journey, thank you for sharing with us. Great trip, great car, great pictures....

Quick question: does the Taycan remember the driving mode once you select it (stays in sport / range or whatever - like Tesla) or does it default each time to normal (like my Mercedes)? It looks a little convoluted to select the driving mode from the touch screen, and I really do not want to invest in the sport-chrono package to get the dial on the wheel.

Thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I believe this was asked for...

So, since you are all "Sheltering-In-Place" and really bored at home, allow me to take you on a drive in my Taycan Turbo, at 7,333 Miles per hour. (That is, 11,000 miles in 1 hour and 30 minutes).

Here's the YouTube of a Time-Lapse of my drive, capturing a frame every 10 seconds on a Dash Cam:
(note the video is in SD, there may be higher quality available later... after google finishes processing it. The original file upload was 30GB of 4K video!)

Time Lapse of 11,000 Miles

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don,
It was a fantastic journey, thank you for sharing with us. Great trip, great car, great pictures....

Quick question: does the Taycan remember the driving mode once you select it (stays in sport / range or whatever - like Tesla) or does it default each time to normal (like my Mercedes)? It looks a little convoluted to select the driving mode from the touch screen, and I really do not want to invest in the sport-chrono package to get the dial on the wheel.

Thank you!
I think it remembers for a limited period of time. For instance, if you stop for Dinner, it will probably remember. If you park overnight, it will forget. Note: I have not tested this... and given the apparent randomness of what the Nav remembers and what it forgets, I can't be sure of these things!

What I do know: When I stopped for a charge, it remembered being in Range Mode. When I got into the car after a night at a hotel (or sleeping in the back!) it was always back in Normal mode. Now, remembering Range mode might be a feature of the "Intelligent Range Manager". Or it might be the rest of the car's memory. I don't know that answer.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I believe this was asked for...

So, since you are all "Sheltering-In-Place" and really bored at home, allow me to take you on a drive in my Taycan Turbo, at 7,333 Miles per hour. (That is, 11,000 miles in 1 hour and 30 minutes).

Here's the YouTube of a Time-Lapse of my drive, capturing a frame every 10 seconds on a Dash Cam:
(note the video is in SD, there may be higher quality available later... after google finishes processing it. The original file upload was 30GB of 4K video!)

Time Lapse of 11,000 Miles
To be honest mate the UK is about to go into lock down and my Turbo keeps getting delayed so if you could send me the full 6 weeks, 11,000 mile journey I can watch it

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be honest mate the UK is about to go into lock down and my Turbo keeps getting delayed so if you could send me the full 6 weeks, 11,000 mile journey I can watch it
That’s it. That’s all that was captured. Except for some boring footage in garages. (albeit in higher quality)

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I drove 10 miles yesterday. Delivered the check to the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland. The other checks were mailed out yesterday.

I did not recharge.

Then I sat on the couch with my cats and watched movies while sheltering-in-place.

(most boring status update... ever)
As an ER doctor thanks for posting that you are sheltering in place. We all should be doing the same!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Don,
Great dashcam video!

How easy was it to hide the wires? I am new to doing this.
Did you have a rear camera too?
Did you plug into the cigarette lighter? Or the back? or into the fuse box?

Thanks

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
That’s it. That’s all that was captured. Except for some boring footage in garages. (albeit in higher quality)
Don that’s not acceptable, can you take the trip again as what am i supposed to now there are no sports on tv and I’ve watched everything on Netflix

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don that’s not acceptable, can you take the trip again as what am i supposed to now there are no sports on tv and I’ve watched everything on Netflix
OK. Fine. I'm gonna need more micro-SD cards. Like a hundred more.
I'll be right back... in a couple of months...
...Oh, wait. Sorry, the US to Canada border is now closed. I cannot repeat this trip.

OK, here's what you do: Play the video. Slow it down to 1/300th speed. Watch. That should take about five or six weeks. Oh, be sure to have some food delivered periodically.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Don,
Great dashcam video!

How easy was it to hide the wires? I am new to doing this.
Did you have a rear camera too?
Did you plug into the cigarette lighter? Or the back? or into the fuse box?

Thanks
No rear camera. This was a last-minute addition, added the day before I took off on the trip.

The wires aren't easy to hide.
I used a 6 foot long USB-C to USB-Mini cord. Stick-on wire clips attached to glass or hard plastic guided the cord. The route was up the windshield, then up to the glass roof, following the edge of the roof over the passenger's seat, and back to the B-pillar. Down the B-pillar to the floor, then snaked around along the bottom front edge of the rear seat, plugged into the back seat USB-C ports.

Note: The back seat ports are ON ALWAYS. The ports in the center console are ON WITH IGNITION.

I did it that way because I couldn't find a "nice" way to get the cord into the center console. Also, I was already using both USB-C ports in the center console: one for a USB Stick of music, one for a cord to attache my iPhone to CarPlay.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK. Fine. I'm gonna need more micro-SD cards. Like a hundred more.
I'll be right back... in a couple of months...
...Oh, wait. Sorry, the US to Canada border is now closed. I cannot repeat this trip.

OK, here's what you do: Play the video. Slow it down to 1/300th speed. Watch. That should take about five or six weeks. Oh, be sure to have some food delivered periodically.
Ill try that pal

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
InsideEVs', Tom Moloughney, posted a story on Don.

Porsche Taycan Turbo Owner Completes Epic 11,000-Mile Road Trip

https://insideevs.com/news/404931/porsche-taycan-turbo-road-trip/

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal Screenshot_20200319-092303

Now, any normal person would have hopped on a plane to make the trip, and not put 11,000 miles on the odometer of their brand new Porsche Taycan Turbo, but not Louv. (because he's got just enough crazy in him that he usually doesn't do the "normal" thing) I can say that with conviction because I've known Don for about 7 years now. He and I were in the BMW ActiveE pilot EV program together and got to know each other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Laughing my ass off.

A writer from Motor Trend approached me, wanting to write a story about my trip. He wanted me to send him photographs to go with the story.

So, out of respect and admiration of their normal excellent photo quality, I sorted through the “good photos” I took with my Nikon gear. Not my iphone photos that I posted here; new unpublished photos. Better camera. Better light. Better resolution. Worthy of a magazine.

I sent him a link to download the photos.

Side note: I’m a pubished photographer, with at least seven covers for a nationally published magazine (made from real dead trees, not electrons) that has a distribution of 75,000. Not Motor Trend size, but not a neighborhood PTA newsletter either.

Anyway, since they are a for profit company, I thought my photography warranted the same valuation as their other articles. So I asked to be “paid” by having them make a donation to MSF in the amount they would pay a staff photographer for an article like this.

The writer is getting paid. The photographer should also. That’s my logic.

I was told, politely, to fuck off. Actually, I was told they couldn’t make donations. I replied, ok, fine you can pay me instead.

Radio Silence...

Look, if you want make money off me, at least have the decency to share the profits of your business with me if you want to use my creations. Have some respect.

<end of rant>

Further Side Note: My friends are generally given a “use me once” pass. I’ll do free work for your company, once, because I like you. After that, if it’s for your job or your company or you’re being paid for YOUR work, I don’t do freebies.

Stay safe out there, people. Wash your hands.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Laughing my ass off.
Rightly so. :like: Your work should be recognized and fairly compensated for. Capitalism at it's finest.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Laughing my ass off.

Stay safe out there, people. Wash your hands.
Seems that after dealing with some people in the media, one may need an extra hand washing.

Kind of remarkable that they would react like that. I thought your offer of doing a donation was magnanimous and, as a bonus, a clear indicator that you aren't just trying to squeeze them for the money so you can buy beer and chips.
Sponsored