Colin59

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 Turbo, Birkin7, Kia Sorrento, Newmar Dutchstar
Country flag
Youtube link provides actual charge rate data in Germany on 350 kw Ionity charger and compares with Model 3 on same charger and to California data on a model 3 charger. Using range available at higher travel speeds from video linked in another post in this forum. Even compared to the Ver 3 Supercharger for Model 3 the Taycan achieved a 6% higher km/hour charge rate.

"Nextmove - German car rental firm post:
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You beat me to the post @Colin59 :). I really enjoy NextMove I only wish I understood German. Relying on subtitles.

Especially enjoyed this graph from their test.
Porsche Taycan Taycan has fastest charge rate in KW and miles range per hour of charging Screenshot_20200206-164554

Also enjoyed the part explaining the change from 350kW to 270kW.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You beat me to the post. I really enjoy NextMove I only wish I understood German. Relying on subtitles.
Based on their test Taycan is the best EV for long distance traveling. This is excellent considering what a heavy super fast sportscar this is. I am heading over to Hockenheim to the "Porsche Experience Center" today. Need to see and get a feel for this!

Bobrae99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
There is a link on the forum to a study which shows that fast charging has more effect on battery degradation than miles driven or the number of charges, so I wonder if that will also be a problem for Taycan or maybe Porsche has somehow worked this out?

Looking at the graph, the degradation doesn't seem to go beyond 5% fr the first 5 years so maybe not a problem for people leasing for 48 months - fast charge to your heart's content. :)

Rambo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Ford
Country flag
What parameters have to be meet to charge at full 350 kw charge. My friend has a Taycan turbo and charged his Taycan at an Electrify American 350 kw charger and it took him 1hr. 7 min to charge from 37% to 95%. His receipt says his max charging rate was 75.53 kw. To provide a little more info it was 9 degrees outside at charging time. But an hour of charge time plugged into a 350 kw charge still seems a long time to me. Anyone got an idea of why such a long charge time? and why it was only charging at a max 75 kw? Thanks

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What parameters have to be meet to charge at full 350 kw charge. My friend has a Taycan turbo and charged his Taycan at an Electrify American 350 kw charger and it took him 1hr. 7 min to charge from 37% to 95%. His receipt says his max charging rate was 75.53 kw. To provide a little more info it was 9 degrees outside at charging time. But an hour of charge time plugged into a 350 kw charge still seems a long time to me. Anyone got an idea of why such a long charge time? and why it was only charging at a max 75 kw? Thanks
You want to have SOC down to ~5% certainly <10% and battery temp ~80F. If you can "Route to a High Speed Charger" the car will start heating the battery else if you have Sport Chrono then use Sport+ and battery conditioning will start as well (be ware the suspension will also lower).

The "current" max charge rate for the Taycan is 270kW but Porsche has hinted this may be increased in the future, but 270kW is quite nice.

See the most details on this topic in the Optimal Charging Thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/optimal-taycan-charging.720/

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I have experimented with a number of DC chargers and found that their output is usually less than what they say, often a lot less. My EE friends say this is because the grid capacities in any given area vary widely. If their are multiple chargers in use next to one another this can also reduce the KWh they output because the supply from the grid is being shared.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have experimented with a number of DC chargers and found that their output is usually less than what they say, often a lot less. My EE friends say this is because the grid capacities in any given area vary widely. If their are multiple chargers in use next to one another this can also reduce the KWh they output because the supply from the grid is being shared.
Having the ambient temperature is useful but much more useful would be the battery temperature @Rambo. The Taycan is one of the few EVs that can display that without 3rd party OBD-II readers. If you were routing to an Electrify America station then it should have been warming up the battery but then you should be seeing more than 75kw at 37%, more like 150lkw starting at that SoC.
But I do agree with @NormF, EV chargers can be adaptive to grid demands, however, they often have staged battery backup to avoid peaking the grid even while delivering 270kw.
Sponsored

Last edited: