End of the month arrival. Should I sell?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
my Taycan arrives at the end of this month and I am curious if the value of it has gone up considerably due to the Felicity Ace sinking. Would a dealer or a private party pay a significant premium to take my position on the car. If so what kind of premium could I expect? I haven’t spoken about this to the dealer but I thought I could get some insight here. Don’t get me wrong I want the car but money talks. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Driver1

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You want the car but money talks? What?

You must really be looking forward to your Taycan.
Right! My thought is that if pocketing the premium you could get makes that much of an economic difference to you that you would forgo a car that you’ve waited this long to get, or you’re that indifferent, you probably shouldn’t buy it!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
my Taycan arrives at the end of this month and I am curious if the value of it has gone up considerably due to the Felicity Ace sinking. Would a dealer or a private party pay a significant premium to take my position on the car. If so what kind of premium could I expect? I haven’t spoken about this to the dealer but I thought I could get some insight here. Don’t get me wrong I want the car but money talks. Any thoughts?
'Speculating' like this used to be outlawed once upon a time...

If any premium is to be derived then the scale of this will largely depend on the spec of the car - safe options and colour choice should preserve this.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Given that the sad situation in Ukraine will now mean that production of the Taycan will be stopped from the 3rd of March (and one would expect this war will go on for some time, and alternative suppliers will be a long time coming online) then keep the car and enjoy it as you won't be flipping it and getting another anytime soon.

Of course, in the scheme of things, it's minor in the light of the terrible plight of Ukrainians.

Last edited:

SebastienBeun

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 992 Carrera S
Country flag
Given that the sad situation in Ukraine will now mean that production of the Taycan will be stopped from the 3rd of March (and one would expect this war will go on for some time, and alternative suppliers will be a long time coming online) then keep the car and enjoy it as you won't be flipping it and getting another anytime soon.

Of course, in the scheme of things, it's minor in the light of the terrible plight of Ukrainians.
Taycan production is stopped? Really?

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Taycan production is stopped? Really?
Seems to be the case, though I can't confirm the veracity of the below from a Taycan group I am on (and we know need to be careful of sources these days) it is inline with the rest of the V.A.G. production stops we've heard about recently.

Porsche Taycan End of the month arrival. Should I sell? 1646392022960

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is your source of this information? I found this press release from 3/2 stating specifically than production in Zuffenhausen (where Taycans are made) is not stopping.
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...ction-leipzig-over-ukraine-crisis-2022-03-02/

As mentioned, information from a group member so needs verification (I’d suggest dealer contact to check on a per person basis) but at the same time no reason to see as purposeful misinformation. I’m not sure what the CP stages refer to in respect to production so when Porsche go as far as saying production will carry on “this week” it could mean vehicles just entering the shop or due with parts already on site.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/porsche-suspends-macan-panamera-output-due-ukraine-conflict

This war is massive sadly.

Edit: Looks like @Mr. Mercedes has had similar info from his dealer on his thread here : https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/zuffenhausen-production-closing-next-week.9759/

Last edited:

Deleted member 6348

With the supply chain issues resulting from the war in Ukraine, these cars are going to be very dear this year. Add in rising gas costs and EVs like the Taycan will be in especially high demand.

Your dealer will gleefully allocate your car to another buyer. They’re not going to pay you anything if you want to give up the car. To be clear, you don’t own the car yet. All you have in your pocket is an agreement to terms and a modest deposit that the dealer will return to you. You have nothing to sell here. That agreement isn’t transferable either. Read the fine print. If you want to give er..uh sell that incoming car to another buyer, the dealer doesn’t have to honor the same deal that they made with you.

If you’re planning to sell your position in line to another party, you will need to let your dealer know and they would have to agree to your scheme. More than likely, they’ll refund your deposit on the spot and sell to the car to someone on their waiting list. If you take money from a private party and the dealer won’t sell to that party, you’ve committed fraud.

So, if you want to flip it, you’ll have to title the car, then sell it via private sale or back to a dealer (an increasingly common thing). By doing so, it will become a used Taycan, even with very low miles, warranty will have been punched, and in the United State, a prospective buyer would no longer qualify for the tax credit and most state/local rebates.

At best, 992 flippers were getting window sticker on their barely used 911s with dealers then marking the used cars up for sale. It should be noted that those cars have traditionally been in higher demand than the Taycan. If you paid below MSRP on your Taycan, you might be able to get a few bucks here, but then, you’ll have no Taycan and buying any new German car is going to be a test of patience through the end of the year.

If you don’t want the car, let the dealer know. They’ll give you back your deposit. That’s the fastest and lowest risk way to see any cash out of what you’re trying to do here.

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
You can expect a premium. Best way is to buy it and find out. It'll be hard to say and you definitely need to own it first. I don't think you could just sell the allocation privately and have the dealer re-assign it.

Any premium you'd make would probably go back into any new car you'd get. So you might net zero unless you have other options available to you. Then you have to value the opportunity cost of not driving a Taycan, while the rest of us are :rock:

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
With the supply chain issues resulting from the war in Ukraine, these cars are going to be very dear this year. Add in rising gas costs and EVs like the Taycan will be in especially high demand.

Your dealer will gleefully allocate your car to another buyer. They’re not going to pay you anything if you want to give up the car. To be clear, you don’t own the car yet. All you have in your pocket is an agreement to terms and a modest deposit that the dealer will return to you. You have nothing to sell here. That agreement isn’t transferable either. Read the fine print. If you want to give er..uh sell that incoming car to another buyer, the dealer doesn’t have to honor the same deal that they made with you.

If you’re planning to sell your position in line to another party, you will need to let your dealer know and they would have to agree to your scheme. More than likely, they’ll refund your deposit on the spot and sell to the car to someone on their waiting list. If you take money from a private party and the dealer won’t sell to that party, you’ve committed fraud.

So, if you want to flip it, you’ll have to title the car, then sell it via private sale or back to a dealer (an increasingly common thing). By doing so, it will become a used Taycan, even with very low miles, warranty will have been punched, and in the United State, a prospective buyer would no longer qualify for the tax credit and most state/local rebates.

At best, 992 flippers were getting window sticker on their barely used 911s with dealers then marking the used cars up for sale. It should be noted that those cars have traditionally been in higher demand than the Taycan. If you paid below MSRP on your Taycan, you might be able to get a few bucks here, but then, you’ll have no Taycan and buying any new German car is going to be a test of patience through the end of the year.

If you don’t want the car, let the dealer know. They’ll give you back your deposit. That’s the fastest and lowest risk way to see any cash out of what you’re trying to do here.
Rivian are increasing their prices 17-20%:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4492731-rivian-price-increases

I genuinely hope this is not the case for Porsche, though I understand they are very different auto manufacturers with different supply chains and currencies.

Still, it does make sense why dealers and the second hand market are paying a significant premium on even second hand cars:

If a Porsche Taycan costs $150,000 MSRP today, in 12 months that could be $165,000-175,000 based on inflation, production delays and rocketing price of commodities.

If prices shoot up by that much where I am not expecting delivery until summer next year, I will almost certainly be cancelling my order.

Deleted member 6348

Rivian are increasing their prices 17-20%:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4492731-rivian-price-increases

I genuinely hope this is not the case for Porsche, though I understand they are very different auto manufacturers with different supply chains and currencies.

Still, it does make sense why dealers and the second hand market are paying a significant premium on even second hand cars:

If a Porsche Taycan costs $150,000 MSRP today, in 12 months that could be $165,000-175,000 based on inflation, production delays and rocketing price of commodities.

If prices shoot up by that much where I am not expecting delivery until summer next year, I will almost certainly be cancelling my order.
Rivian’s problem is that they’re learning to make cars. It’s not simply a function of the supply chain and commodities. They’re a small company with less purchasing and negotiating power than VW AG.
Sponsored