Ability to charge other EVs with a PMCC or PWCC

Assuming you've tried to charge a non-Porsche EV w/PMCC or PWCC, did that effort succeed or fail?

• No Success - Couldn't get the pricy damn PWCC to initiate charging

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So after over a year of discussion about the failures of the PMCC, one fact has always troubled me - @daveo4EV's problem with charging non-Taycan vehicles at home (for the latest post on this see here).

Request #1 -- So I'd like to conduct a poll that asks anyone and everyone who has ever tried to charge a non-Porsche EV to vote for 1 or 2 of the answers (only 2 votes allowed). Multiple votes are permitted since you might have had both success AND failure with one or multiple EVs.

Request #2 -- If you've had success charging a non-Porsche EV to the SOC goal, please post the EV model.

I'd really like to get a sense of the experience of others on this forum, and I'm open to changing the poll answers if I've structured this poorly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
I am in Europe: Daily charging an Volkswagen ID.3 with a PMCC, no issues. Tested lots of vehicles of different brands and all work. For some the PLC connection from the PMCC to the EV has to be disabled, as these EVs have faulty ISO15118 implementations on their end. Examples for EVs with the issue: BMW i3, BMW iX, Subaru Soltera.

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am in Europe: Daily charging an Volkswagen ID.3 with a PMCC, no issues. Tested lots of vehicles of different brands and all work. For some the PLC connection from the PMCC to the EV has to be disabled, as these EVs have faulty ISO15118 implementations on their end. Examples for EVs with the issue: BMW i3, BMW iX, Subaru Soltera.
How do you disable a PLC connection?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Login as a tech use, go to connections and then PLC connection to vehicle. Disable the setting. Changes may require a restart of the device to take effect.

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OK, forum members, let’s get on this. If you have another EV and have tried charging with either PMCC or PWCC I’d really appreciate it if you give this pole your attention.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
OK, forum members, let’s get on this. If you have another EV and have tried charging with either PMCC or PWCC I’d really appreciate it if you give this pole your attention.
no problem charging the Tesla S on a Porsche charger but the limit is at 30 Amps and i did not install the latest software version of the charger which according to some people on this forum seems to throttle the charging of EV's other than the the Taycan

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
no problem charging the Tesla S on a Porsche charger but the limit is at 30 Amps and i did not install the latest software version of the charger which according to some people on this forum seems to throttle the charging of EV's other than the the Taycan
Thanks for sharing!

For what it’s worth I don’t think the update will affect your ability to charge the Model S. However, if for some reason, you do install the update and it stops working, please let us know.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing!

For what it’s worth I don’t think the update will affect your ability to charge the Model S. However, if for some reason, you do install the update and it stops working, please let us know.
Will do but no reason to update my charger

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
So after over a year of discussion about the failures of the PMCC, one fact has always troubled me - @daveo4EV's problem with charging non-Taycan vehicles at home (for the latest post on this see here).

Request #1 -- So I'd like to conduct a poll that asks anyone and everyone who has ever tried to charge a non-Porsche EV to vote for 1 or 2 of the answers (only 2 votes allowed). Multiple votes are permitted since you might have had both success AND failure with one or multiple EVs.

Request #2 -- If you've had success charging a non-Porsche EV to the SOC goal, please post the EV model.

I'd really like to get a sense of the experience of others on this forum, and I'm open to changing the poll answers if I've structured this poorly.
I think i figured out what the problem is .I recently bought a BMW XI and when I started charging at the Porsche charger it connected fine but did not charge.I then went into the settings on the charger and clicked on vehicle.On the screen appeared the The Taycan with a hashtag.I deactivated the hashtag and thus the Taycan car.Immediately the BMW started charging perfectly at 30 Amps.The moral of the story is that the charger can handle only one type of car and if you elect to charge a different one you need to deactivate the previous one

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think i figured out what the problem is .I recently bought a BMW XI and when I started charging at the Porsche charger it connected fine but did not charge.I then went into the settings on the charger and clicked on vehicle.On the screen appeared the The Taycan with a hashtag.I deactivated the hashtag and thus the Taycan car.Immediately the BMW started charging perfectly at 30 Amps.The moral of the story is that the charger can handle only one type of car and if you elect to charge a different one you need to deactivate the previous one
This is very interesting!

When I get back from my trip, I will try to get a non-Porsche EV and charge it on my system using your recommendation.

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
Login as a tech use, go to connections and then PLC connection to vehicle. Disable the setting. Changes may require a restart of the device to take effect.
I may have missed something, is the tech login provided on the slip with the user login? I only saw the user.