Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Is the US like the UK in that the connectors are built to a standard? The brand shouldn't matter, but compliance with the standard does.

And everything in the chain needs to be protected to the right level otherwise major issues can happen. Breakers, cable, sockets etc etc all designed to make sure any "failure" doesn't lead to a fire.

I had a 32A "commando socket" installed by my electricians on Wednesday. Every last element was checked carefully, specs calculated, install tested and certified.

Looking at the melted socket above, is that on a trailing lead? And does it have a cover? Am assuming the grey cable is the supply - is the housing on that end cracked away from the socket part?

The socket installed in my garage is wall mounted and has a cover that flicks shut to prevent dirt ingress. The cable also cannot be released until the power is isolated at the socket.

(I'll post back up on here if my garage sets alight due to the charger :D).
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Is the US like the UK in that the connectors are built to a standard? The brand shouldn't matter, but compliance with the standard does.

And everything in the chain needs to be protected to the right level otherwise major issues can happen. Breakers, cable, sockets etc etc all designed to make sure any "failure" doesn't lead to a fire.

I had a 32A "commando socket" installed by my electricians on Wednesday. Every last element was checked carefully, specs calculated, install tested and certified.

Looking at the melted socket above, is that on a trailing lead? And does it have a cover? Am assuming the grey cable is the supply - is the housing on that end cracked away from the socket part?

The socket installed in my garage is wall mounted and has a cover that flicks shut to prevent dirt ingress. The cable also cannot be released until the power is isolated at the socket.

(I'll post back up on here if my garage sets alight due to the charger :D).
Standards are there but they don't always cover everything. With the NEMA 14-50 (240V 50A) receptacles the biggest issue is that duty cycles are not covered in the standard - both sustained load duration and number of plug-unplug cycles. Before EV's these plugs and receptacles were used for clothes dryers and ovens, which don't run at max current for 8hrs+, nor are they unplugged daily. So naturally manufacturers produced lower cost versions of those suitable to that usage. They were never meant to handle mobile EVSEs. There are NEMA 14-50 receptacles designed for industrial applications which can handle the EV usage. The problem is, Porsche designed (or had someone design) a mobile EVSE which requires parts built for industrial usage. They saved a few pennies using thinner gauge wire, but that causes plug temperatures high enough to melt residential use receptacles. After they realized this, rather than recall existing EVSEs or even start shipping thicker wire, they instead neutered all Porsche EVSEs (PMC+/PMCC) to run at half speed by default, allowing the customer to override it back to full speed but that comes with the warning that your plug may melt, your house may burn down, so Porsche has a legal CYA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
things that make you go "hmmm…"

https://apple.news/ANkZ1u_PDQBmjO_xKgsdVQA

Audi EV and PHEV Portable Charging Cables Recalled for Overheating Issue

Audi has issued a recall for over 93,000 electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) that came with a portable Compact Charging System charger. The charger’s 220V/240V cable could overheat and damage both the charging cable and the outlet it’s plugged into.

VW/Audi recall their 240V charging cables
my friends "eTron" has the same PMC+/PMCC Taycan comes with but a Audi sticker - hmmmm…but they are replacing the cables with ones that have a "temperature" sensor?

things that make you go hmmmmm…

so the temperature sensor will do what? it will sense that there are high operating temperatures so that the unit will shut down "safely" and leave the EV uncharged for when you wake up in the morning? I mean honeslty safety first so this is progress of a sort - but still leaves us/you/customers with a crappy EVSE that runs too hot and you're still better off with a non-VW/Audi/Porsche EVSE that doesn't run this hot normally and therefore can actually charge your EV overnight

so one step forward - we'll no longer run sooo hot that we melt plastic sockets…progress- honest true progress - but still leaves you with a wonky EVSE that isn't the best choice

no word from what I can see in the recall that they are upgrading the wire gauge in the power supply cable - and VW/Audi only - no recall from Porsche.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
things that make you go "hmmm…"

https://apple.news/ANkZ1u_PDQBmjO_xKgsdVQA

my friends "eTron" has the same PMC+/PMCC Taycan comes with but a Audi sticker - hmmmm…but they are replacing the cables with ones that have a "temperature" sensor?

things that make you go hmmmmm…

so the temperature sensor will do what? it will sense that there are high operating temperatures so that the unit will shut down "safely" and leave the EV uncharged for when you wake up in the morning? I mean honeslty safety first so this is progress of a sort - but still leaves us/you/customers with a crappy EVSE that runs too hot and you're still better off with a non-VW/Audi/Porsche EVSE that doesn't run this hot normally and therefore can actually charge your EV overnight

so one step forward - we'll no longer run sooo hot that we melt plastic sockets…progress- honest true progress - but still leaves you with a wonky EVSE that isn't the best choice

no word from what I can see in the recall that they are upgrading the wire gauge in the power supply cable - and VW/Audi only - no recall from Porsche.
Maybe Porsche is doing the recall too, given this (apparently they ran out if cables for a new delivery): https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/500-voucher.18172/post-279322

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
FFS... I just bought the car, and already recalls... I was all happy that my welding setup NEMA 14-50 socket was the right one for the charger and was in the perfect location :angry:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
post #1 updated with the latest…

can I simply say that Porsche's handling of this has been simply stunningly bad? With the outward appearance of pure unadulterated CYA vs. any apparent effort to actually "fix" the underlying problem?

it's just been so bad.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Sorry if this has been covered, but looking at this post from daveo4EV back in 2020 can someone explain how the 10AWG plug side of the PMCC gets so hot (162F!), but the 10AWG car side cable does not (89F)? They have roughly the same amps and volts.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry if this has been covered, but looking at this post from daveo4EV back in 2020 can someone explain how the 10AWG plug side of the PMCC gets so hot (162F!), but the 10AWG car side cable does not (89F)? They have roughly the same amps and volts.
I don't think the vehicle cable is 10 AWG wire…(the part of the cable from the PMC+/PMCC unit to the vehicle) - my PMCC"s are packed away - but I'll check into it tomorrow.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have the long car side cable option for the PMCC. This was delivered with a 2022. Mine appears to be 3-Conductor, 10AWG (5.3mm). See photo. My short wall side 14-50 cable is on the recall parts list. It has 4 Conductors, 10AWG (5.26mm). Ground shouldn't be conducting anything, so mine appear to be the same.

Porsche Taycan [North America] - FAQ: the ultimate guide to the Porsche EVSE PMC+/PMCC/PWCC carside

Update - I never experienced a problem with PMCC temperature, but 1) I have a Hubble, and 2) I was never charging in 100F heat. It's cold here now (35F) but I plugged in my PMCC and charged at 40 Amps for three hours in an enclosed garage. When I checked by touch, the wall plug was very slightly warm, the shorty cable from that plug to the box was warmer, maybe 85F, the box was similarly warm, but the cable to the car was cool. For fun here's a photo of the PMCC car-side cable next to my Grizzl-E 8 AWG car-side cable.

Porsche Taycan [North America] - FAQ: the ultimate guide to the Porsche EVSE PMC+/PMCC/PWCC compare

Last edited:

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank-you for documenting the history of this issue. I sent a letter about this to the President of Porsche NA in September 2022. I could not believe their response was to remotely de-rate the amperage without fixing the problem. This was clearly an issue subject to a formal recall but they chose to listen to their attorneys rather than their customers.

So far, there is no formal recall: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and I have heard nothing from Porsche NA about the cable fix. Looking forward to a final resolution.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank-you for documenting the history of this issue. I sent a letter about this to the President of Porsche NA in September 2022. I could not believe their response was to remotely de-rate the amperage without fixing the problem. This was clearly an issue subject to a formal recall but they chose to listen to their attorneys rather than their customers.

So far, there is no formal recall: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and I have heard nothing from Porsche NA about the cable fix. Looking forward to a final resolution.
There is a recall: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...o-overheat-20-24-apb6-december-13-2023.18185/

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag