Recommendations to prepare for Taycan delivery

lighteningturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 992 TTS, Cayenne Coupe S (on order)
Country flag
Hi everybody! I’m new here. Have been scrolling and reading trying to figure out next steps as I await the delivery of my Turbo in June (currently in production per my SA). It might have been posted already so I apologize for the duplicate thread. Can anyone provide any tips/to dos needed to be done before bringing the Taycan home? Any insights/tips when picking up at the dealership? Just want to make sure we are ready for its arrival since it’s been a long wait. I know it’s early to think about this, but just trying to be prepared. Appreciate any insight or help!

Edit: This is our first EV, but 4th Porsche as we’ve owned a Boxster, Panamera 4S Executive and most recently a Macan GTS.
Sponsored

Last edited:

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Key thing in my mind is to make sure you have your charging setup ready to go. Confirm that your house has a NEMA 14-50 outlet that is internally wired to be able to provide 50A of current. You'll need this to charge your Taycan at 9.2kw (people have reported it's actually 11kw) Level 2 speed. Note that the included cable isn't that long, unless you option the upgraded PMCC with the LCD screen (doesn't actually provide any extra charging speed, just monitoring/scheduling functionality) which I think comes with a 25ft cable. Otherwise the no-cost mobile charger plus that doesn't have the LCD screen comes with an 8ft cable I believe

Depending on where your 14-50 outlet is in your house, you should figure out if you need an extension cable to easily charge your car. The taycan has charging points for level 2 next to the front fender of the car. Figure out where your car is going to be parked (and orientation) vs. the outlet. For my case, my 14-50 outlet is literally exactly opposite where I need it to be (rear right, vs. front left as the last owner of my house had a tesla and parked on the opposite side), so I'll be buying a 14-50 50ft extension cable that will run around the corners of my garage

Other stuff if you're very particular
  • Check around the car for any panel gaps / build quality issues. Not really an issue vs. the other major EV brand, but things can still be off even for established brands sometimes
  • If your car is going to be professionally PPF'd, consider not having the dealer wash the car before delivery or do any prep on the paint. Dealers do a decent job of cleaning but probably not as meticulous as a professional dealer in terms of avoiding swirlmarks. The PPF guy should be doing a paint correction before applying PPF
  • Decide if you want to buy any optional tequipment extras / stuff installed on the car, and ask your dealer if they can do it. Stuff like rubber floormats, or clear sidemarkers

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi everybody! I’m new here. Have been scrolling and reading trying to figure out next steps as I await the delivery of my Turbo in June (currently in production per my SA). It might have been posted already so I apologize for the duplicate thread. Can anyone provide any tips/to dos needed to be done before bringing the Taycan home? Any insights/tips when picking up at the dealership? Just want to make sure we are ready for its arrival since it’s been a long wait. I know it’s early to think about this, but just trying to be prepared. Appreciate any insight or help!

Edit: This is our first EV, but 4th Porsche as we’ve owned a Boxster, Panamera 4S Executive and most recently a Macan GTS.
Ensure your Porsche Connect IDs are created and are entered into the car's PCM before you leave the dealership. This is a fundamental step to ensure your account and Porsche Connect services are active and available.

Should be a doddle of a familiarisation and handover after that.

Have you got your home charging setup planned?

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Key thing in my mind is to make sure you have your charging setup ready to go. Confirm that your house has a NEMA 14-50 outlet that is internally wired to be able to provide 50A of current. You'll need this to charge your Taycan at 9.2kw (people have reported it's actually 11kw) Level 2 speed. Note that the included cable isn't that long, unless you option the upgraded PMCC with the LCD screen (doesn't actually provide any extra charging speed, just monitoring/scheduling functionality) which I think comes with a 25ft cable. Otherwise the no-cost mobile charger plus that doesn't have the LCD screen comes with an 8ft cable I believe

Depending on where your 14-50 outlet is in your house, you should figure out if you need an extension cable to easily charge your car. The taycan has charging points for level 2 next to the front fender of the car. Figure out where your car is going to be parked (and orientation) vs. the outlet. For my case, my 14-50 outlet is literally exactly opposite where I need it to be (rear right, vs. front left as the last owner of my house had a tesla and parked on the opposite side), so I'll be buying a 14-50 50ft extension cable that will run around the corners of my garage

• Check around the car for any panel gaps / build quality issues. Not really an issue vs. the other major EV brand, but things can still be off even for established brands sometimes
  • If your car is going to be professionally PPF'd, consider not having the dealer wash the car before delivery or do any prep on the paint. Dealers do a decent job of cleaning but probably not as meticulous as a professional dealer in terms of avoiding swirlmarks. The PPF guy should be doing a paint correction before applying PPF
  • Decide if you want to buy any optional tequipment extras / stuff installed on the car, and ask your dealer if they can do it. Stuff like rubber floormats, or clear sidemarkers
I would stay away from the 14-50 outlets that are in the $15.00 range. Go to Amazon and look for a Hubbell - about $115.00 or so. Well worth the extra couple of $$$ to have piece of mind that your electric system is not going to melt the less expensive outlets. Also, when your electrician runs the wire from the main electric box to the 14-50 outlet make sure that he uses 6 gauge wire. Again, a little piece of mind versus lesser gauge wire that can get extremely hot. It's just me, but a little overkill in the electric department never hurts.....................⚡ I did get the 25 foot cable with the PMCC - not that I needed it for my installation but it sure would be a disappointment to get the shorter cable only to find that it is 1 foot too short.....................

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag

I would stay away from the 14-50 outlets that are in the $15.00 range. Go to Amazon and look for a Hubbell - about $115.00 or so. Well worth the extra couple of $$$ to have piece of mind that your electric system is not going to melt the less expensive outlets. Also, when your electrician runs the wire from the main electric box to the 14-50 outlet make sure that he uses 6 gauge wire. Again, a little piece of mind versus lesser gauge wire that can get extremely hot. It's just me, but a little overkill in the electric department never hurts.....................⚡ I did get the 25 foot cable with the PMCC - not that I needed it for my installation but it sure would be a disappointment to get the shorter cable only to find that it is 1 foot too short.....................

OP
OP
lighteningturbo

lighteningturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Thanks so much for this! I will take a look. I have two outlets in the garage and I know my SA recommended the 25 ft cable so I do have that!

OP
OP
lighteningturbo

lighteningturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ensure your Porsche Connect IDs are created and are entered into the car's PCM before you leave the dealership. This is a fundamental step to ensure your account and Porsche Connect services are active and available.

Should be a doddle of a familiarisation and handover after that.

Have you got your home charging setup planned?
I don’t have the setup yet. All I know is out garage is equipped already for an EV with the outlets but not sure of anything else.

OP
OP
lighteningturbo

lighteningturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do have an outlet in the garage already made for an EV just not familiar with specifics but I’ll look on Amazon and compare! My SA did advise me to get the 25 ft cable so happy I did!
Sponsored