Sold but I'll Be Back

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I never thought I would say this, but I sold my 2020 Taycan 4S yesterday after almost two years with the car. I loved the car, but some unique circumstances caused me to sell. The short version is that we are in the process of moving and won’t have room to park all our cars. I had no intention of selling the Taycan, but on a whim I called a few dealers to get prices. I was shocked to find that after including tax incentives, I actually was going to make money on the transaction relative to what I paid for the car two years ago. I figure I got paid to drive a Porsche for 2 years!

Part of what colored my thinking was that I would love to change up my spec a bit. I wish I had purchased 4 wheel steering. The car is pretty big for some tight spots in garages and so forth. Also, after driving the Turbo S a couple times, including at the Los Angeles Porsche Experience Center, I would love to move to a Turbo.

I also figured that getting a later model year would iron out a few of the minor things that didn’t seem fully baked in the 2020 cars. For example, not having Android Auto was definitely an issue for me. I live my life around my Android phone so having limited connectivity between Android and the car was a real drag. The lack of Android Auto wouldn’t be an issue if the voice recognition in the built-in nav system was better – I probably have only a 10% hit rate with the voice recognition finding my destination. (Voice recognition on Google Maps on my phone works 80+% of the time.)

Also, I think plug-and-charge will be key in the long run. I was at an Electrify America station last weekend and pretty much every EV in the world was represented there. I was the only one who struggled to connect to any of the chargers. Customer service was able to grant me free charging via an override, but it still was a bit of a drag to be the only one struggling. It seems like plug-and-charge is a key step in the long run to making charging smoother.

I absolutely loved the way the car drove, especially on the back roads. The combination of tight steering and a supple yet adjustable ride was incredible. Plus the instant torque was fantastic.

I also was pleasantly surprised by the range of the car. I still am not sure why my range was so much better than many people here (tires?, wheels?). I regularly took 200 to 250 mile trips and ended with as much as 40% of my charge left, at least during the warmer months. Those trips were often on 75+ MPH roads. Extrapolating the mileage, I was getting 300+ miles during the summer.

For now I am going back to a Subaru WRX that we have had for a few years. While that may seem like a bit of a departure, it is a fun car. Once the turbo is spooled up, it has pretty decent acceleration. It has been fun driving a 6 speed again. Plus the WRX is a beast in the snow like the Taycan. Both cars actually hold about the same amount of people and stuff. The WRX has pretty brutal ride quality and the cabin is super loud, but given that it was $27K when new, it is hard to complain too much.

I hope to be back in a Taycan in about two years. In the meantime, I will likely be less active on here.
Sponsored