Suicide doors on next gen Taycan - Yes or No?

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Hey, if Ferrari can pull it off…
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
What could be the advantage, other than a marketing feature “like RR and Ferrari”?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The rear suicide doors are one of the most awesome features of the 2016 Mission E concept car, and part of what drew me to the wait list. I wonder if they were dropped for the production version because they were too expensive to manufacture, or because they drive significant technical compromises such as loss of structural rigidity. As far as I know, the only cars currently/recently for sale with rear suicide doors are Rolls Royce Phantom and Ghost, and the very limited production run of 201x model year customized Lincoln Continentals. None of these are high performance cars, but then there are few high performance car models with four doors. The Koenigsegg Gemera has very long gull-wing doors that provide comfortable access for the rear seat occupants, so apparently that design choice is compatible with a high performance vehicle, at least where cost is of no concern.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
The rear suicide doors are one of the most awesome features of the 2016 Mission E concept car, and part of what drew me to the wait list. I wonder if they were dropped for the production version because they were too expensive to manufacture, or because they drive significant technical compromises such as loss of structural rigidity. As far as I know, the only cars currently/recently for sale with rear suicide doors are Rolls Royce Phantom and Ghost, and the very limited production run of 201x model year customized Lincoln Continentals. None of these are high performance cars, but then there are few high performance car models with four doors. The Koenigsegg Gemera has very long gull-wing doors that provide comfortable access for the rear seat occupants, so apparently that design choice is compatible with a high performance vehicle, at least where cost is of no concern.
My Purosangue has them. They actually do aid with ingress/egress so I wouldn’t call them a gimmick necessarily. I hear you on the structural rigidity and how that might be a concern, especially with frameless doors, but they are a very lithe piece of engineering.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
This adds weight. ”Choose your adventure“ if you want to go down this path….

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
I would vote to add the auto lift to entry feature on the 2025 Audi etron making it easier to get in/out of the car. I have to lift feature in my Taycan which keeps me from scraping the front end on speed bumps, dips and entering/exiting parking lots. They could easily add this feature to the current lift option by adding a "lift upon entry/exit" so every time you open the door the car rises and once you close the door it lowers unless you're in a saved location (like my garage) where my Taycan lifts automatically so it's easier to get in/out in my garage but not everywhere else I stop.
I could just save the location of everywhere I stop so I can achieve the same result but having Porsche add another line of code so I can configure "Lift upon entry/exit". Great option.

Sace

First Name
Anders
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Tourismo
Country flag
I would vote to add the auto lift to entry feature on the 2025 Audi etron making it easier to get in/out of the car. I have to lift feature in my Taycan which keeps me from scraping the front end on speed bumps, dips and entering/exiting parking lots. They could easily add this feature to the current lift option by adding a "lift upon entry/exit" so every time you open the door the car rises and once you close the door it lowers unless you're in a saved location (like my garage) where my Taycan lifts automatically so it's easier to get in/out in my garage but not everywhere else I stop.
I could just save the location of everywhere I stop so I can achieve the same result but having Porsche add another line of code so I can configure "Lift upon entry/exit". Great option.
The lift on entry is already a feature on the facelifted MY25 Taycan.

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
The lift on entry is already a feature on the facelifted MY25 Taycan.
I didn't know that. I wonder if they will update the software to allow my 2021 with the lift option to lift on entry as well? I hope...

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
The entry lift is only a feature of Porsche Active Ride, only available as an option on the refresh Taycan and e-tron from 2025 onward. There can be no back porting of this feature to a 2021.