Volcano Grey or Dolomite Silver?

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag
Hello all, from Bangkok, Thailand here.
I've been reading the forums for a while. Great info, picture and advice. Thanks.

Having said that, I still can't decide which exterior color I should pick. I know exactly what I want. Except that I haven't seen the car in the fresh. So I desperately need you guys comments here.

After many pictures I've seen + many VDOs I've watched, now I've narrowed down to these 2 colors and here are what I like, and what I'm not sure about.

Volcano Grey - What I like:
Apart from the fact that it's a nice dark grey color which is great in my eyes, I really like how dynamic the color is. The grey color under the bright sky gives nice grey-blue color. Or when it surrounded by trees it gives grey-green shade. Or when it runs on brown road it will be grey-red. I think these effects are fantastic. I first saw it from this YouTube

Volcano Grey - What I'm not so sure:
Does it, most of the time, apprear black? I like it better when it's dark grey, dark silver color. But not black. This YouTube makes me have doubt in this color. It apprears black most of the time when it runs/moves.

Is it like this in the fresh? Or it's due to the VDO quality/angle?

Dolomite Silver: I like when it's dark grey. Like GT silver. From VDOs, pictures I've seen, it apprears that way. However, I found some comments in this forum that It's too bright. Like arctic silver. So I'm not really sure. What do you guys think?

Low maintenance / easy to clean is definitely a plus but not the first thing I consider here.

I generally leaning towards Volcano, but I'm not sure about the black thing.

FYI. I have only seen Volcano Grey in fresh once and just in showroom lighting.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
My dealer had the Volcano Grey at the launch event under dark lights and it never looked black. I was so impressed with the look of the car that I reconsidered my choice. In the end I did stay with the Mission E Carrera White look, but it was tempting. I probably would have switched had my current car not been a similar colour (Gun Metal Grey).

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dolomite Silver is a very blue silver and cool in hue. It's not a warm or dark silver like GT can be. It is a striking color but very particular and certainly not a traditional silver.

Volcano Grey is a very dark, warm color. Dolomite silver is a very light, cool color. Sounds like you want Volcano Grey.

That video is a bit darker than VG normally appears. I also think VG is one of the best looking colors in partial or full shade, you get a very interesting, rich color. In direct sun it is still very nice but not quite as striking.

Last edited:

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Dolomite Silver is a very blue silver and cool in hue. It's not a warm or dark silver like GT can be. It is a striking color but very particular and certainly not a traditional silver.

Volcano Grey is a very dark, warm color. Dolomite silver is a very light, cool color. Sounds like you want Volcano Grey.

That video is much darker than VG normally appears. I also think VG is one of the best looking colors in partial or full shade, you get a very interesting, rich color. In direct sun it is still very nice but not quite as striking.
My dealer’s first car was Volcano Grey. Very dark. From street, I thought it was black. Even in the lot, it looked almost black.
Just my impression.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My dealer’s first car was Volcano Grey. Very dark. From street, I thought it was black. Even in the lot, it looked almost black.
Just my impression.
In terms of briefly seeing it or from a distance, I can see that. But in terms of owning it and walking up to it, definitely not as dark as it first appears. It also appears darker the dirtier it is, definitely a color you want to keep clean. Also, again, it's a color that looks best without a lot of direct sunlight. Great for the Pacific Northwest.

These are two very accurate photos, IMO. Sometimes it's a little brown, sometimes it has a warm blue tone to it, sometimes it is quite dark.

Also, I do really like Dolomite but it's pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from VG. A light, cool color vs dark & warm.
Porsche Taycan Volcano Grey or Dolomite Silver? 1406314-1584377935-278467

Porsche Taycan Volcano Grey or Dolomite Silver? 704x-

Last edited:

kennedyjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Audi A6
I was too debating between these two colors. I went with the volcano grey, after seeing the dolomite silver in person. The silver is much lighter than I expected, but either color should look good.