JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I took my car to a car wash yesterday and the rain sensor for the wiper blades were on. When the car came out of the car wash the passenger side wiper was missing and the wiper arms were on high speed. This resulted in a 8” light scratch on the passenger side of my windshield.
Has anyone had any luck or methods to remove the scratch without replacing the windshield? I tried toothpaste with no luck!
Sponsored

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, you more than likely can’t get It out without causing visual distortions.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, you more than likely can’t get It out without causing visual distortions.
Ugh, I will have to go feel for it. Thx

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Glass can be polished as long as scratches are not deep, but it's labor intense. You can check with detailing shops, some of them will do it. Because of the labor involved, it's typically cheaper to replace the windshield, so it's usually done on cars where windshield cannot be replaced (vintage restored cars with original glass for example) or cars where glass replacement would be very expensive. I was reading another thread here recently with 2 people saying windshield replacement was over $4K, which seesm to be on the expensive side.

You can also check out youtube videos and try to do it yourself. It does take time and some good amount of elbow grease. I've done it with small scratches, even one chip which I filled and then polished glass so it was barely noticeable (no way to make the whole deep chip disappear completely) - this was not on the Taycan though.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Worth taking it to an auto glass shop for an opinion. I had a chip on mine filled, and the tech said VAG use very soft glass compared to others, and do so across their brands. The plus side of it is that it may be repairable.

Bummer ☹ about the situation.

Warrior 6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2021 Audi E tron
Country flag
I didn't think a Taycan could have the ground clearance to fit in a carwash.

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag
It sounds like to car wash attendant didn't know how to turn your car off and that caused the rain sensor to activate.

I take my CT to the good old coin op car wash. A hand full of quarters and a good micro fiber drying towel is all you need. I don't trust the drive through guys to take care of a car with such wide tires and low ground clearance

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Glass can be polished as long as scratches are not deep, but it's labor intense. You can check with detailing shops, some of them will do it. Because of the labor involved, it's typically cheaper to replace the windshield, so it's usually done on cars where windshield cannot be replaced (vintage restored cars with original glass for example) or cars where glass replacement would be very expensive. I was reading another thread here recently with 2 people saying windshield replacement was over $4K, which seesm to be on the expensive side.

You can also check out youtube videos and try to do it yourself. It does take time and some good amount of elbow grease. I've done it with small scratches, even one chip which I filled and then polished glass so it was barely noticeable (no way to make the whole deep chip disappear completely) - this was not on the Taycan though.
Thanks
It sounds like to car wash attendant didn't know how to turn your car off and that caused the rain sensor to activate.

I take my CT to the good old coin op car wash. A hand full of quarters and a good micro fiber drying towel is all you need. I don't trust the drive through guys to take care of a car with such wide tires and low ground clearance
I have been using this car wash for years with all my cars. The clearance is fine, it makes me mad and I only can blame myself for what happened as I always make sure to fold the mirrors and turn off the wipers.

cyiril4j

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT
Country flag
If the crack is shallow you can order some windshield repair kit on Amazon. It works pretty well. You pour resin in the crack, cover it with a curing strip in the sunlight and then you can scrape off excess. Affordable DIY and looks pretty good.

OP
OP
JRNJTAYCAN

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I took my car to a windshield replacement place to see if they can repair the scratch. They advised me to leave it be as trying to repair it will make it worse. They said they stopped repairing scratches because it would make the area look cloudy.
I will live with it.
Sponsored

Last edited: