W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Well if the car is in the standard setting there won't be any energy in the regen system. If manual or auto whatever regen deceleration produced must go into the battery since I can't think of anywhere else it could go.
It will be almost certainly be part of the reason the useable and total battery capacity differ.
Yes but if not enabled why display regen as you might be duped into thinking you are extending your range?
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Yes but if not enabled why display regen as you might be duped into thinking you are extending your range?
I don't know.
All I am pointing out is the engineering must follow the laws of physics!

In reality even if the regen system is 100% efficient, which it can't be, it would still only equal coasting for highest range.

Regeneration is better for braking than total loss of kinetic energy by converting it into heat, so always better than friction brakes, but not as good as coasting when just cruising along, which is predumably why that is Porsche's wisely chosen default.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't know.
All I am pointing out is the engineering must follow the laws of physics!

In reality even if the regen system is 100% efficient, which it can't be, it would still only equal coasting for highest range.

Regeneration is better for braking than total loss of kinetic energy by converting it into heat, so always better than friction brakes, but not as good as coasting when just cruising along, which is predumably why that is Porsche's wisely chosen default.
Indeed but you're the Engineer - I'm just a lune!

It would be great to know the detail though to help demystify.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The regen dial lights up green regardless but apparently doesn't charge the battery unless these features have been enabled.
Do you have a source for this?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
My understanding is that the front motor does most of the regen braking (compared to the rear one), can't be decoupled from the front wheels and has permanent magnets. Does that mean there is little scope for adjusting the amount of regen braking when the traditional brakes aren't activated?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
To be clear I’m interested in knowing the amount of energy recup could add back to the battery and what happens to this energy if you haven’t enabled either manual or auto regen.
The recup effect for braking I really like and often use this to slow me down than touch the brakes even though I know it will be the motors doing the braking unless I need to perform an emergency brake.

Braking recuperation is not the same as overrun recuperation (user controlled - Off, Manual, Auto) so logically braking will always add this energy back to the battery, right as the Taycan offers 2 types of recuperation?

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
One of the main reasons I didn't buy a used Taycan rather than new is that there were none without the glass roof which is one of the options I absolutely do not want, so even if people like me are in the minority so far there aren't many ally roofed Taycans about.
It's no different to other options...

If you have a silver 355, if two people happen to want one at the same time, you'll get good money.

If you a red one, it will sell readily (sic)... But will need to be good to stand out.

Fortunately in the Taycan instance, I want a glass roof :)

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be clear I’m interested in knowing the amount of energy recup could add back to the battery and what happens to this energy if you haven’t enabled either manual or auto regen.
The recup effect for braking I really like and often use this to slow me down than touch the brakes even though I know it will be the motors doing the braking unless I need to perform an emergency brake.

Braking recuperation is not the same as overrun recuperation (user controlled - Off, Manual, Auto) so logically braking will always add this energy back to the battery, right as the Taycan offers 2 types of recuperation?
It's all just "braking" isn't it (deceleration). Be it active pushing the brake pedal or pseudo engine braking.

Maybe it's clever enough to emulate engine braking with the discs/pads while they bedding in and/or the electrics system isn't ready.

The first go I had in one the lack of engine braking/coasting and the need to shove hard was a bit alarming. Am still not sure why it was like that, but think I probably had recup fully off. The CT I borrowed was much better...

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
For me it was more about the driving experience suiting my driving style. When I'm off the gas I'd rather the car was "holding back" that little bit, rather than freely coasting along. I've had previous cars with the ability to disengage and coast but the Taycans coasting is incredibly impressive. It feels so unrestricted
The nice thing about the Taycan is that you can adjust the regen/recoup to match your driving style. Personally, I prefer aggressive regen/recoup and always turn recuperate on. But I read often on the Tesla forums from people who hate the regen on Tesla. I actually like it a lot: it’s not as aggressive as Taycan with recoup On (which is the setting I use and feather the brake peddle) but it feels more like an ICE car which slows down when you remove your foot from the acclerator peddle. You need to learn to feather either the accelerator or brake peddle.
With the Taycan, you have the option (recoup Off) to coast when you lift your foot off the accelerator peddle. I don’t like this mode as much.
But with Taycan you have a choice.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
It's all just "braking" isn't it (deceleration). Be it active pushing the brake pedal or pseudo engine braking...
That's what I'm thinking- and, unless the brake pads are brought in to play, isn't it all just a case of cutting the power to the motors (to less than is required to maintain current speed, or to zero power)...just as the driver could do if the accelerator had a full 0-100% power range? (I'm not saying the auto functions aren't better than human control, just trying to understand what logically is going on with the motor).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's no different to other options...

If you have a silver 355, if two people happen to want one at the same time, you'll get good money.

If you a red one, it will sell readily (sic)... But will need to be good to stand out.

Fortunately in the Taycan instance, I want a glass roof :)
True.
I am lucky enough to be able to afford buy a car for myself so don’t need such considerations ;)
My Ferrari is yellow, I don’t like red. I did it for me not you then too :)

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
I am so pleased to see someone else that thinks like this, I thought I must be going mad the amount of people that have told me I need the Pano.

For me, it completely spoils the external aesthetics for any colour other than black, and you can't tell you have it when you are driving as it's behind your eyeline.

The only reason I was second-guessing not having it was that the salesman at Mid Sussex said they always struggle to sell second hand when they don't have a pano roof, for some reason.
I do believe that this "kind" of pano roof is not a 100% finished product to me as for my own experience (Taycan 4S) , this first gen glass roof is not efficient enough ...just try it on the summer time and you 'll notice the difference between one taycan having it and another one without it (that is why they come with the shadeble one...) + I am so addicted to "opening" roof ... i was a bit confuse to see none of that available .... probably in the 3rd gen roof ... to come ! Also it is mean for the customer to have not the solution of roof rack ONLY with this pano roof :-((....

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Ferrari is yellow, I don’t like red. I did it for me not you then too :)
I'd slum it with giallo fly as 355s are so good they look great in any colour :D

(My Caterham's dayglo yellow too).

Am with you on buying for yourself. Just a happy coincidence that on this option I agree with the masses.

Body colour may see me buckle. I like Cherry. The other three do not.... What to do....

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd slum it with giallo fly as 355s are so good they look great in any colour :D

(My Caterham's dayglo yellow too).

Am with you on buying for yourself. Just a happy coincidence that on this option I agree with the masses.

Body colour may see me buckle. I like Cherry. The other three do not.... What to do....
I haven’t looked into the difference but my 355 is Modena yellow not giallo fly, though they could be the same for all I know! My Griffith was BRG which looked great.

I don’t like the reds like the normal Ferrari and Porsche reds but the burgundy ones, like cherry and the latest (and oldest) Ferrari racing red I do.
I like green best though.

I have had the common monochrome choices on my daily over the last 17 years so looking forward to a colour again.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
My understanding is that the front motor does most of the regen braking (compared to the rear one),
Yes.
can't be decoupled from the front wheels
Not mechanically, no.
and has permanent magnets.
Yes.
Does that mean there is little scope for adjusting the amount of regen braking when the traditional brakes aren't activated?
No. The amount of regen is controlled by the drive. Drives are perfectly cable of a controlled coast (I.e. active, but not motoring or regen) or can often be decoupled electrically in which case there is no regen.
Sponsored