4S to Turbo - is it worth it?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I have a couple of questions to anyone that has made a move from 4S to Turbo (with 21 inch wheels).

1. What are you getting on average driving range?
2. Apart from under hard acceleration is there anything noticeably different from 4S to Turbo - for reference, when I tested the Turbo recently it was obviously fast under acceleration almost too fast on normal roads, but honestly speaking I could not tell any other difference?

I am interested to know as I am considering making the change but trying to determine if its worth it apart from if I track the car…
Sponsored

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Range 220-240 (240 based on extrapolating my current range/charge today).

What is this too fast you speak of? ;)

Seriously, I made the switch because as I was building my car, several options I wanted were standard on the turbo; not because I felt I needed more than the 4S had to offer.

At this point switching from a Turbo to a 4S might be hard for sure; but most of the time I can’t use the power I have because of other road users that I am inevitably stuck behind at lights, junction etc. but when I do get to play……

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
GTS is the sweet spot here if you want a little more than the 4S - for most purposes the Turbo/TurboS is un-necessary.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range 220-240 (240 based on extrapolating my current range/charge today).

What is this too fast you speak of? ;)

Seriously, I made the switch because as I was building my car, several options I wanted were standard on the turbo; not because I felt I needed more than the 4S had to offer.

At this point switching from a Turbo to a 4S might be hard for sure; but most of the time I can’t use the power I have because of other road users that I am inevitably stuck behind at lights, junction etc. but when I do get to play……
Thats on the 21 inch wheels right?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
one of the advantages of EV over ICE is extra power doesn't necessarily "lose" range - EV motors are so efficient that unless you are using the extra power capacity you don't pay much if any of a penalty for carrying around a more power EV motors (at least in the range of actual changes from base taycan to a TurboS)…

at similar speeds an accelerations you can expect about the same range (consumption) from a 4S as you do a TurboS - if you "use" the TurboS's greater power your range will be less - but for similar driving profiles the two cars should be the same range - you're more likely to suffer more difference from day to day driving style shifts…

this is not like a V6 vs. V8 issue where the V8 will never have the same consumption as a V6 even when driven mildly…

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
one of the advantages of EV over ICE is extra power doesn't necessarily "lose" range - EV motors are so efficient that unless you are using the extra power capacity you don't pay much if any of a penalty for carrying around a more power EV motors (at least in the range of actual changes from base taycan to a TurboS)…

at similar speeds an accelerations you can expect about the same range (consumption) from a 4S as you do a TurboS - if you "use" the TurboS's greater power your range will be less - but for similar driving profiles the two cars should be the same range - you're more likely to suffer more difference from day to day driving style shifts…

this is not like a V6 vs. V8 issue where the V8 will never have the same consumption as a V6 even when driven mildly…
Whilst that sounds logical and obvious it doesn't play out either by Porsche' own estimates or what I have seen in some places from Turbo owners complaining about actual range vs what they were anticipating - perhaps because of driving style. Hence the reason for the post - though I do agree with your logic...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

differences in range between similar/indentical EV's in different performance levels (base vs. high-performance) normally is due to differences in aero/style/wheels/standard-tires - the underlying platform isn't less efficient because it's high power - they normally put the more sticky/aggressive tires or less aero-dynamic wheels on the high-performance version causing "less range" - but not because the drive train is less efficient - it's because it has to work harder to over come the styling changes…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
a Difference of 282 vs. 272 is "noise" and nothing like 23 mpg vs. 17 mpg - I can easily make up 10 miles or range in a 250 mile drive (4 hours of seat time) be shaving 2-3 mph in driving

note I can't find the reference but my logic came from an article I read years ago from Tesla engineering - it was a facinating talk that their early recognition was you could have very very high performance (acceleration) EV motors with out the penalty typically assoicated with high performance ICE motors - i.e. if you don't use the power you don't "pay" for the power - this is not the case with ICE motors - even when not using the power you "pay" for the power because of the design changes required to have the greater top end…this simply factually not the case EV drive trains

I'm going to guess the range differences are due to the styling/wheel/tire difference in "standard" equipment between the model (wheel aero on the Model 3 for example is proven to be a 5% range penalty between the aero wheels and non-aero wheels)

AMCI testing shows a variation of 282 miles to 272 miles - or 10 mile variation of range in their testing - 10 / 282 = 3.5% variation in range - I'm going to call this butter-fly wing flap variations - this has _NOTHING_ to do with the drive train power - 3% is statistical noise IMHO - ie.e I can blow 3% with a few aggessive launches on this vehicle (seriously try it - you drive a taycan at max accerlation you ain't going no 260 miles any time any day)

3% is also well with in expectations of variation from differences in standard equipment (probaly mostly wheel size, wheel aero, and tire compound)

NOTE: also you're not driving this car in most cases to a 3% tolerance with regards to range - if you're that close to 0% battery well then it's not your typical day in my opinion

normal day to day variations in weather, temperature, road conditions, stops/starts, traffic flow, and other variable factors will have way way way more impact than a RWD/4S/GTS/Turbo drive train…

it's all noise vs. your actual daily usage and experiences - I drive a 4S to 50% of it's rated range, and I can extend a TurboS to more than 130% of it's rated range if I drive "slow" - it's the nature of EV's

Porsche Taycan 4S to Turbo - is it worth it? 712E77A8-4368-47FE-A1B1-CA57D64B86CA

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
weather, traffic, driving style, aero-body-styling, wheel size (19", 20", 21", 22"), and tire grip has way way way way more effect on range than the "power" differences (mostly software tuning for max allowed battery discharge rates) between the RWD to the TurboS…but the "standard equipment" on the RWD vs. Turbo S is very very different and I'm going to assert is the reason for the range differences…

probably mostly wheels/tires/aero vs. drive train tweaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTC

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. 21" all seasons.
19" wheels will improve range - different aero characteristics between wheel sizes are also affecting range (Mission-E wheels are a 5% penalty according to Porsche).

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
19" wheels will improve range - different aero characteristics between wheel sizes are also affecting range (Mission-E wheels are a 5% penalty according to Porsche).
I know; knew that when I brought the car - was just responding to the OPs question. Range wasn't my concern - performance and looks were my priority :)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was on the fence and went 4S. The only difference was a little more acceleration and the price difference similarly speccd was almost $25k. I found the 4S plenty quick enough for me.

I do think the Turbo is the sweet spot. I just think it’s overpriced. Then again, so is the 4S.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I found that when I specify the cars I end up very close to the 'next one up' and then my mindset is get the next one up. A lot because the extra's I like got put on the standard build of the Turbo. And then I had the bad idea of driving the Turbo. :(🔫

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I went from a 2021 4S to a 2022 turbo S and the change is MASSIVE. Not just fast launch control which is almost too fast but in day to day highway driving it’s amazingly more nimble and planted.

So far my range is still catching up as I only have a few hundred miles on the turbo S and remain low at Around 210 versus around 300 on my 4s after it caught up with driving and recalibrated. It will for sure be less however as I drive the car more aggressively. However I can charge at work and home easily and don’t/won’t use the car for long road trips
Sponsored