First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The scenario.

You are out in the country and your battery is dead. Can you charge a Taycan by towing it? There are several videos of Tesla's being charged by towing. I know the owners manual says no towing, but in a pinch could you?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t see why not.

But I also don’t understand the no flat-towing rule in general. The motors (within their rated speed) can’t generate more back emf than their rated voltage and there’s no current if the circuit is open, so….what’s the issue? Anyone know?

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Maybe a safety concern, that with a flat main battery, there is no juice for proper braking? (Beyond recuperation limit)

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Towing assumes you have the ability to shift the car into neutral, right? Which might not be the case if 12-volt battery is dead or isolated.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Towing assumes you have the ability to shift the car into neutral, right? Which might not be the case if 12-volt battery is dead or isolated.
I don’t see why. You just backdrive the gearbox/motor.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t see why. You just backdrive the gearbox/motor.
I am new to this. If the car were in park, isn't a parking brake applied and perhaps something else to keep car from moving? If car is powered off, isn't park automatically engaged?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am new to this. If the car were in park, isn't a parking brake applied and perhaps something else to keep car from moving? If car is powered off, isn't park automatically engaged?
I see. Yes, any mechanical brakes would need to be removed/disengaged. I’m not sure on the specifics there. But that’s not the same as neutral as a decoupling of the drive system; at least, that’s how I think of neutral.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
If you want to tow charge it I would be riding in the front seat and managing it. Or is the question can you tow it on its wheels and charge at the same time? I don’t think they have a mode for that by design.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Would be safer I think to tow to the top of a large hill, then use regen on the way down without being towed.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looked at the comments and did a little more research and I think this is the deal. Let me know if this is BS. Won't know until someone tries it. I am assuming you are not at the top of a hill. Maybe on a side road and a farmer is driving by in his tractor and can assist.

1. You can tow charge a Taycan but how?
2. You can't tow a Taycan long distance because the tow hook is off center, and towing will generate current into the battery which is going to generate heat and maybe burn something up. So no RV's towing Taycans or any other EV across the country. I am guessing someone is going to try though.
3. Is there a difference between tow charging at 0 SOC and 1% SOC? Maybe. The motor has a permanent magnet so it should generate current at 0 SOC but are the circuits in a state to handle this? Probably.
4. At 1% SOC. Probably.
5. So how do you set up the car to do this?
6. Need some liftoff regen so select the right setting.
7. But this is weaker than the Tesla so maybe a little brake riding to get higher regen?
8. Keep an eye on the battery temperature. The Tesla's videos showed quite a bit of battery heating after a few miles of towing.
9. Don't tell Porsche you did this

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and towing will generate current into the battery which is going to generate heat and maybe burn something up.
That’s the part I don’t understand/agree with. It generates voltage. Not current.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ansmission-a-good-idea.6598/page-3#post-94709

If you take a PM motor and short the leads, you’ll feel the resistance if you turn the rotor by hand. But if they are open you won’t feel any resistance.

Even more curious to me is that I’ve seen this same “no flat tow” for async motor EVs and those wouldn’t even generate a voltage.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That’s the part I don’t understand/agree with. It generates voltage. Not current.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ansmission-a-good-idea.6598/page-3#post-94709

If you take a PM motor and short the leads, you’ll feel the resistance if you turn the rotor by hand. But if they are open you won’t feel any resistance.

Even more curious to me is that I’ve seen this same “no flat tow” for async motor EVs and those wouldn’t even generate a voltage.

For an AC generator, a change in the magnetic flux linked to an electric coil induces an EMF (voltage) in the coil. This induces an alternating electric current in the coil. Thanks to Mr. Tesla.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For an AC generator, a change in the magnetic flux linked to an electric coil induces an EMF (voltage) in the coil. This induces an alternating electric current in the coil. Thanks to Mr. Tesla.
Jim, I’m just telling you my actual experience with actual motors. You have to connect the winding leads to something to create the resistance. We short them for finding or counting poles.

And, I don’t know if you read my linked comment or not, but I had an example where I ran a sinusoidal load with two PM motors connected to the same frame. I didn’t see the resistance from the back driven motor while running only one motor at a time. And it had to run a specific motion profile so I had to have a feed forward torque. I was very aware of the load/current profile.

You have to have a complete circuit for current.

Voltage? Yes. Current? No.
No current, no power.
No power, no work.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Jim, I’m just telling you my actual experience with actual motors. You have to connect the winding leads to something to create the resistance. We short them for finding or counting poles.

And, I don’t know if you read my linked comment or not, but I had an example where I ran a sinusoidal load with two PM motors connected to the same frame. I didn’t see the resistance from the back driven motor while running only one motor at a time. And it had to run a specific motion profile so I had to have a feed forward torque. I was very aware of the load/current profile.

You have to have a complete circuit for current.
Hi Jeremey. I thought you were dealing with more than just a simple circuit but wanted to make the point that an AC generator does generate current. If control circuits are in the way then you have to figure out what they are doing. My responses are likely to be more on the theoretical side than the practical.
Sponsored