Car seat in middle seat of 2+1 rear seats?

Driver1

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Recently got an allocation for a 4S and have specced the 2+1 rear seats (was wowed by the comfort and handling of the test drive and thrilled that the Taycan has made owning a Porsche a practical reality for me – it’s a family car, I tell my wife, and the best part is I’m not stretching the truth!). Is it feasible to install a convertible car seat in the middle seat (I assume there are no LATCH connectors in the middle, but is there a tether connector behind the middle seat such that I could secure with that and the seatbelt)? Would be great for my toddler to have a clear view out the front and also be further away from the doors, but figured I would ask! Thanks in advance for any insights.
Sponsored

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
It looks like there's a tether (image here) (I couldn't recall from memory). But...

...that seat is really narrow - I'd say occasional use only. And the lap part of the belt is correspondingly narrow...so not sure how suitable it would be for putting a car seat on.

Best bet would be to take a seat down to your dealer and try it. Or at the very least to ask them.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Recently got an allocation for a 4S and have specced the 2+1 rear seats (was wowed by the comfort and handling of the test drive and thrilled that the Taycan has made owning a Porsche a practical reality for me – it’s a family car, I tell my wife, and the best part is I’m not stretching the truth!). Is it feasible to install a convertible car seat in the middle seat (I assume there are no LATCH connectors in the middle, but is there a tether connector behind the middle seat such that I could secure with that and the seatbelt)? Would be great for my toddler to have a clear view out the front and also be further away from the doors, but figured I would ask! Thanks in advance for any insights.
If you’re willing to use the LATCH hooks closest to the center, this is definitely doable. @Murph7355 is correct that the seat is very narrow and the seat belt buckle (which is attached on the narrow surface) doesn’t give you much leeway for attaching a wide seat with a belt.

There are other more exhaustive threads that cover this if you search. I’ve posted photos in those threads to highlight running 3 across with boosters which we’ve done multiple times already.

OP
OP
Driver1

Driver1

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you’re willing to use the LATCH hooks closest to the center, this is definitely doable. @Murph7355 is correct that the seat is very narrow and the seat belt buckle (which is attached on the narrow surface) doesn’t give you much leeway for attaching a wide seat with a belt.

There are other more exhaustive threads that cover this if you search. I’ve posted photos in those threads to highlight running 3 across with boosters which we’ve done multiple times already.
Thank you both! I was just able to find your other post, and it’s good to know that this is doable with boosters and potentially also with a car seat that needs to be strapped in if it’s narrow enough. In any event, we’re getting the Taycan and if we end up needing to put our kid in a bulky car seat on one of the sides until she’s big enough to be in a booster, so be it!

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Here you go. I had it installed in mine. I think it's good for up to an 11-12 year old.

OP
OP
Driver1

Driver1

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here you go. I had it installed in mine. I think it's good for up to an 11-12 year old.

Oh wow I see now how the piece where the middle seat belt clicks in comes out from close to the middle of that seat (although it seems it can go out to the side). It does look quite narrow.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
2 adults in the back then yes a squeeze. But a young family (skinny teens) and pre teen in the middle easy. They are adult seats. Best get a slim line booster. By the time the eldest teen gets to 17 they don't want to go anywhere with you anyway so you are back to 4 in the car...
Sponsored