gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I see this on a lot of car forum's, People hate on Tesla undeservedly and Tesla fanboys love on Tesla to an obnoxious degree. For me one of the worst thing about owning a Tesla was other Tesla owners. You would swear they bought a Bugatti, and a Tesla is the greatest car evar. At the same time the ICE brigade pile on the hate for tesla because they feel it threatens their way of life or something.

At the end of the day we all like the same things. A Porsche was never a value proposition, or even the fastest car for the money. Tesla owners are generally all excited about straight line speed and whoopie cushion sounds and more power to them. Porsche owners are all excited about backroad driving, 50k worth of options that are standard on a Ford Focus and posing.

At the end of the day we all sit in the same traffic farting into our seats.
Ahh, but if it is a Taycan, versus a model 3, they could be ventilated seats and there might be an ionizer installed ;)

People that want a Porsche, like me, would likely never be in the market for a Tesla. I don't hate Teslas, I just don't want one. On the other hand, if someone is just looking for the best value in an EV then the Tesla models are definitely in the running. Thankfully there are a number of other alternatives (value proposition-wise) that are in the running as well.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I have a Tesla Model 3 performance and i am strongly considering moving to a Taycan RWD or 4S however before i do this i would be really grateful if any ex Tesla Model 3 owners could provide their own insights including any regrets in making a similar move. I have made a list of the key areas that i think i would miss if i left Tesla:
  • One pedal driving
  • 0-60 3.1s without needing launch control
  • Tesla Auto pilot
  • Integrated dash cam and sentry mode
  • Supercharger network
  • Lack of regular servicing requirements
  • Tesla app
  • Understated looks
  • Considerably cheaper
So again any feedback whatsoever would be appreciated : )

Thanks!
Yes, I'll be honest, if all of the above are important to you, you're going to miss most if not all of those things if you switch to a Taycan.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For me one of the worst thing about owning a Tesla was other Tesla owners.
Good Lord, 100% this.

I like our Model Y just fine for what it is, but the worst part of owning a Tesla IMHO is interacting with and having to listen to some of the idiocy from the mouths of other Tesla owners. It is truly a brainwashed cult where everyone constantly addresses Elon Musk by his first name as if they personally know him. ?

And to elaborate why so many of them are annoying, a substantial percentage of the Tesla owners community are people who, prior to owning their first Tesla, gave no craps about automobiles, driving for fun or even hated the work of driving on a daily basis, but suddently owning a Tesla has changed all that and suddently they are 'car enthusiasts' while constantly showing their staggering ignorance on even car basics by the questions they are asking when something is going on with their Teslas.

Porsche Taycan Help! Calling ex Tesla Model 3 owners IMG_20211209_071255

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
The M3 is good on smooth roads and does reasonably well up to say 75-85 mph:like:
Color me envious, anything above 75 mph is illegal in Minnesota. I would really like to take my Taycan on the autobahn....

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Good Lord, 100% this.
I like our Model Y just fine for what it is, but the worst part of owning a Tesla IMHO is interacting with and having to listen to some of the idiocy from the mouths of other Tesla owners.
Nah, Tesla crowd is not the only one that can be nasty or idiotic. I ran away from the forums on Rennlist because of very similar cult-like following - albeit Elon-less;)

Last edited:

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nah, Tesla crowd is not the only one that can be nasty or idiotic. I ran away from the forums on Rennlist because of very similar cult-like following - albeit Elon-less;)
No, but the Tesla online community are full of their own special brand of ignorant in a way any legacy car enthusiast communities cannot even hope to touch.

Harbor_Dawg

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 90D; 2020 Porsche GT4; Ram 1500
Country flag
I have a Tesla Model S, the first daily driver I’ve ever owned without a manual transmission. This is on the chopping block as soon as I can order a GTS Sport Turismo. I also have a GT4 with a manual I may never sell. There are great things about both brands, and both cars. And there are great things, and some awful things, about the brand loyalists in each camp.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Again, I'm new to the Taycan, but with one pedal driving, it's one less thing for your mind to focus on. Now with the Taycan, I need to keep my foot much more active, managing the accelerator and brake.
I am puzzled about this thread and some of the reponses in this thread (would Porsche owners also start a similiar thread in the Tesla forum?). For instance the one I quote. People buy a sports car (okay it is not a daily track car) and then complain about that it has two pedals and that you have to use them. A real (old fashion) sports car has three pedals (the third one is called a clutch). Next thing will be that people start complaining about having to steer into corners with the Porsche and when they do they experience forces on their body (called g-forces). I can tell you on a track you are happy that you have two pedals and a steering wheel. If I would be only interested to go just from A to B I would have bought another car (maybe the new Kia EV6 also 800V) but I am not. Therefore, I have chosen a proper car being the Taycan. If you miss one pedal driving than you have bought the wrong car. My advice trade it in and you can buy whatever electric car you want even a Tesla.

Last edited:

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I am puzzled about this thread and some of the reponses in this thread (would Porsche owners also start a similiar thread in the Tesla forum?). For instance the one I quote. People buy a sports car (okay it is not a daily track car) and then complain about that it has two pedals and that you have to use them. A real (old fashion) sports car has three pedals (the third one is called a clutch). Next thing will be that people start complaining about having to steer into corners with the Porsche and when they do they experience forces on their body (called g-forces). I can tell you on a track you are happy that you have two pedals and a steering wheel. If I would be only interested to go just from A to B I would have bought another car (maybe the new Kia EV6 also 800V) but I am not. Therefore, I have chosen a proper car being the Taycan. If you miss one pedal driving than you have bought the wrong car. My advice trade it in and you can buy whatever electric car you want even a Tesla.
As strange as it sounds one pedal driving is not a concept of there being only one pedal to use…the accelerator and brake pedals are still there. Instead better to think of it as a different driving mode that could be added as an alternative for drivers who prefer that style.

Porsche chose to not include it on the Taycan but apparently it will be coming to the EV version of the Macan and they have not ruled out adding it (if customers want it) in future versions of the Taycan.

The best solution as has been stated in other threads is to allow it as an option for those who prefer it and keep it off for those who do not. Rest assured the two pedals will always remain as having a brake pedal is pretty significant.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
As strange as it sounds one pedal driving is not a concept of there being only one pedal to use…the accelerator and brake pedals are still there. Instead better to think of it as a different driving mode that could be added as an alternative for drivers who prefer that style.

Porsche chose to not include it on the Taycan but apparently it will be coming to the EV version of the Macan and they have not ruled out adding it (if customers want it) in future versions of the Taycan.

The best solution as has been stated in other threads is to allow it as an option for those who prefer it and keep it off for those who do not. Rest assured the two pedals will always remain as having a brake pedal is pretty significant.
I am well aware that a Tesla also has a brake pedal. I am glad that Porsche did it the way they did and I doubt whether they will change it in the furture. I will leave this thread to you and go back to the other imho more useful Taycan threads.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I think you are misinterpreting my post. The original thread is comparing the Tesla Model 3 with the Taycan for a Model 3 owner who is thinking of switching. I am simply mentioning one difference which I *tentatively* prefer. I say tentatively because I've only driven my Taycan for 30km (besides the test drive). I never said I dislike the entire Taycan experience - why would I buy the car if I hated it? Earlier in that same post I mentioned some of the areas which I prefer on the Taycan.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
This is
Good Lord, 100% this.

I like our Model Y just fine for what it is, but the worst part of owning a Tesla IMHO is interacting with and having to listen to some of the idiocy from the mouths of other Tesla owners. It is truly a brainwashed cult where everyone constantly addresses Elon Musk by his first name as if they personally know him. ?

And to elaborate why so many of them are annoying, a substantial percentage of the Tesla owners community are people who, prior to owning their first Tesla, gave no craps about automobiles, driving for fun or even hated the work of driving on a daily basis, but suddently owning a Tesla has changed all that and suddently they are 'car enthusiasts' while constantly showing their staggering ignorance on even car basics by the questions they are asking when something is going on with their Teslas.

IMG_20211209_071255.jpg
This is 10,000% correct. like guys (and it’s always the guys) when you join the club, act like the new guy. Don’t try to swagger in like you’ve been here the whole time and know as much or more as everyone else. We see right past that crap.

mhockett

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a Tesla Model 3 performance and i am strongly considering moving to a Taycan RWD or 4S however before i do this i would be really grateful if any ex Tesla Model 3 owners could provide their own insights including any regrets in making a similar move. I have made a list of the key areas that i think i would miss if i left Tesla:
  • One pedal driving
  • 0-60 3.1s without needing launch control
  • Tesla Auto pilot
  • Integrated dash cam and sentry mode
  • Supercharger network
  • Lack of regular servicing requirements
  • Tesla app
  • Understated looks
  • Considerably cheaper
So again any feedback whatsoever would be appreciated : )

Thanks!
On the "one pedal driving" mentioned above, the Taycan has a button that allows the regen and will act like a Tesla. Keep in mind that while you may not bug you as a driver, your passengers ALL hate the one pedal driving. Great for making them car sick!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag