Is Porsche Selling Our Driving Data?

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Is Porsche Selling Our Driving Data?
Probably, but Apple and Google are collecting far, far more and you still drive with your phone in the car, right? :cool:
Sponsored

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Latest carplay integration also shows your max speed and max Gs. So this means CarPlay stores:

1. Maximum speed per trip
2. Coordinates of said trip
3. Time stamps
4. Your apple ID which is tied to you

IMG_2258.PNG

Digging into OP's link, CarPlay shares the following:

PNG image.png

Meaning that at some point in the future a local police department may bulk issue warrants to Apple on an annual/monthly/whatever cadence and auto-send speeding tickets to people.

Digging deeper, Taycans are equipped with two way Sirius XM telematics. Meaning not only does the vehicle receive information, it sends it back to Sirius. Looking into the data they collect, this includes things like the number of passengers present (based on seat sensors). Holy shit
Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 3.56.42 PM.png

I did more digging here: https://www.insideradio.com/free/si...cle_7d4f6b54-a8b5-11eb-a658-ef66017167a0.html

Goddamn
Data data data data

OP
OP
VOLT4GE

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh, if I told you what kind of "anonymized" data you can buy legally from data brokers in the US... and how it can be reverse-engineered and you can be identified.
Yep—I’ve worked with the likes of Axciom, which has a mind-boggling amount of data on everyone. However, the fact that I shop at Costco—and that I have a preference for California Cabernets there—won’t cause my insurance rates to increase.

That’s my issue here.

OP
OP
VOLT4GE

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh, if I told you what kind of "anonymized" data you can buy legally from data brokers in the US... and how it can be reverse-engineered and you can be identified.
Having spent some time in the digital marketing world, I know how much data is out there, and it’s all for sale. But I bristle at the idea that my car manufacturer is profiting not only on the sale of my driving habits, but actually costing me handsomely in the process.

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
Having spent some time in the digital marketing world, I know how much data is out there, and it’s all for sale. But I bristle at the idea that my car manufacturer is profiting not only on the sale of my driving habits, but actually costing me handsomely in the process.
Automakers have shareholders screaming for more and more revenue and margin. On one end, they are instituting recurring revenue BS like BMW with their monthly charge for heated seats. On other end they are collecting and selling our data. The genie is out. California is trying to stuff it back in, but it will take some resolve from both the public and politicians to hit back with GDPR-level rules. I don't see that happening. We are not too far away from automakers selling our data to insurance companies VIN-tied and all.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Quite a few years ago I went through the security options on Google removing data I didn’t want them to have but then many pages wouldn’t open so I stopped using them for many years.

The thing is if you think the internet is free you are stupid, it is just a question of which companies harvest the most and how slack their controls and how free they are at selling what they harvest.

No idea which is the worst but given there is little enforcement of rules it will obviously be rife with crime.

IMO all social media companies should have had the same legal obligation for their content as other publishers but they are far too rich and powerful so now too late.

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
Porsche can't even make their own app to work, nevermind selling some data to some clever people...

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL I just got this screen when I logged into MyPorsche site today

Porsche Taycan Is Porsche Selling Our Driving Data? explorer_ujTdjAerrt

Alpha

First Name
Thorstein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carrera 4 GTS / Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
The Germans are crazy when it comes to privacy so Porsche selling the data? Doubtful. Apple on the other hand..

ChronoMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT
Country flag
surprised someone hasn't figured out a way to disconnect the LTE antenna (and replace it with a resistor to avoid an error massage) or just code out the 2 way data?

I think we would lose built-in NAV which from how agonizingly slow it is, seems to be querying a remote database for every destination address. If you are an android auto/ carplay person who does not use the Porsche app what else, if anyhting would you be giving up?

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
The surprising part of the NY Times article for me was that the GM OnStar data isn’t anonymized or aggregated - it’s customer-specific. It lists every single trip, speed limit violation, and sudden stop the driver made. It was tied to his identity through LexisNexis just like a credit report.

Semi-Anonymized data is bad enough. It’s much worse when it’s provided with fully identifying details.

It was provided because the customer didn’t opt-out of the data sharing agreement, which requires contacting OnStar support.

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
surprised someone hasn't figured out a way to disconnect the LTE antenna (and replace it with a resistor to avoid an error massage) or just code out the 2 way data?

I think we would lose built-in NAV which from how agonizingly slow it is, seems to be querying a remote database for every destination address. If you are an android auto/ carplay person who does not use the Porsche app what else, if anyhting would you be giving up?
If one is that worried, there are analog cars to be had. EV (or most modern cars) is not the car you are getting if you are interested in privacy.
Sponsored