Left Charge Port Impaired.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
I’ve a long commute to work (in the order of 150 miles each way) which, whilst I only have to do it some 4 to 5 times a month, does mean that I can’t rely solely on home charging (and there’s no facility to charge at the work end of things). Consequently I’m collecting frequent flyer miles at IONITY at Baldock. Of late I keep getting the above warning when I try to connect. It’s a bit of a heart-stopper and, in desperation, I tried a PCM reboot (no, I don’t know why I thought it might work) which seemed to do the trick.

On unplugging the vehicle I noticed the charge port door (powered) did a little dance up and down a few times before deciding to close. Additionally I also noticed that the small hinged flap at the bottom of the port was coming loose and I pushed this back in (it seems to be a click fit piece). I checked for impedances but couldn’t find anything. It’s happened a few times now and my OPC are adamant it’s a fault with IONITY. You’ll not be surprised to learn that IONITY feel it’s a problem with my car. I’m chasing my tail on this one and, whilst I’m girding my loins to go into battle on this I thought I’d ask if anyone might have had any similar experiences and what, if any, rectification they managed.

Thanks in advance.

Porsche Taycan Left Charge Port Impaired. 59CD2051-0AA9-4EDC-A182-04C9D5008FD2
Sponsored

Last edited:

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne E-Hybrid, Boxster GTS
Country flag
Can you recreate the error on a charger at an OPC ? If you can Porsche cant argue its Ionity at fault

OP
OP
MrB

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you recreate the error on a charger at an OPC ? If you can Porsche cant argue its Ionity at fault
Thus far they’re saying it’s not doing so on their chargers. I’ve got this sense of impending doom as it feels like I‘m about to enter into a circular argument where one bats me back to the other ad infinitum…..

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've used Ionity once - arrived with no errors and left with two random ones relating to lights - both false positives. Could be a coincidence but suspect there is something up with ultra fast charging stations.

I've had the impairment message a couple of times mainly due to my own incompetence and forgot to check the DC flap had sprung back into position. The port door then attempts to close and reopens reporting the warning. Locking and reopening the car cleared it.

I did have the issue which led to the AC charge port failing and had to be replaced. Pretty sure it was the same message.

OP
OP
MrB

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've used Ionity once - arrived with no errors and left with two random ones relating to lights - both false positives. Could be a coincidence but suspect there is something up with ultra fast charging stations.

I've had the impairment message a couple of times mainly due to my own incompetence and forgot to check the DC flap had sprung back into position. The port door then attempts to close and reopens reporting the warning. Locking and reopening the car cleared it.

I did have the issue which led to the AC charge port failing and had to be replaced. Pretty sure it was the same message.
Thanks Adrian, appreciate the information.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Consequently I’m collecting frequent flyer miles at IONITY at Baldock. Of late I keep getting the above warning when I try to connect. It’s a bit of a heart-stopper and, in desperation, I tried a PCM reboot (no, I don’t know why I thought it might work) which seemed to do the trick.
Did this message appear just after you had plugged in?
Did you also hve the red light come on in the charge port?
And was there any message on the display of the Ionity charger at all?

I have charged at least 50 times if not more at HPC stations, Ionity Allego, EnBW, etc, without big problems. However I recently had a not so good experience

Look at my car given the same message when plugging in to an Ionity station outside of Cannes.

Porsche Taycan Left Charge Port Impaired. 4B5E2C04-4D5A-49C4-8BC9-D73D10218F58
Porsche Taycan Left Charge Port Impaired. BECC2460-6A66-43D1-BF16-004F8AE9AD32

This happened to me after collecting my car from the Porsche garage to repair my faulty Innodrive and LTE connection errors. Slightly panicking at first. But I decided to unplug and start all over again few attempts.

After the third try I decided to call Ionity and noticed a message on the charging station.
Porsche Taycan Left Charge Port Impaired. E16F1551-2357-430A-B9DC-1C3B00DDD3A7

That message seems to indicate that there was a problem with the charger and the available power at the station. A Jaguar i-pace arrived and plugged in successfully afterwards.

In the call with Ionity they suspected a faulty communication between my car and the station and we proceeded to try again with me pushing and holding the charge cable securely to the car after the agent had rebooted the charger. Then everything worked, but I noticed that the power delivery was much lower than my earlier stops at this station with similar SOC and weather. The battery was also preheated to about 30 C. So perhaps there was just a La k of power available at the time and some communication glitch between the car and station.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’ve a long commute to work (in the order of 150 miles each way) which, whilst I only have to do it some 4 to 5 times a month, does mean that I can’t rely solely on home charging (and there’s no facility to charge at the work end of things). Consequently I’m collecting frequent flyer miles at IONITY at Baldock. Of late I keep getting the above warning when I try to connect. It’s a bit of a heart-stopper and, in desperation, I tried a PCM reboot (no, I don’t know why I thought it might work) which seemed to do the trick.

On unplugging the vehicle I noticed the charge port door (powered) did a little dance up and down a few times before deciding to close. Additionally I also noticed that the small hinged flap at the bottom of the port was coming loose and I pushed this back in (it seems to be a click fit piece). I checked for impedances but couldn’t find anything. It’s happened a few times now and my OPC are adamant it’s a fault with IONITY. You’ll not be surprised to learn that IONITY feel it’s a problem with my car. I’m chasing my tail on this one and, whilst I’m girding my loins to go into battle on this I thought I’d ask if anyone might have had any similar experiences and what, if any, rectification they managed.

Thanks in advance.
You could do with another member from here with a Taycan meet you at the charging station and both try it.

That would let you know if it's likely the station or your car (or the combination of your car at that station)

OP
OP
MrB

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I have charged at least 50 times if not more at HPC stations, Ionity Allego, EnBW, etc, without big problems. However I recently had a not so good experience

Look at my car given the same message when plugging in to an Ionity station outside of Cannes.

4B5E2C04-4D5A-49C4-8BC9-D73D10218F58.jpeg
BECC2460-6A66-43D1-BF16-004F8AE9AD32.jpeg

This happened to me after collecting my car from the Porsche garage to repair my faulty Innodrive and LTE connection errors. Slightly panicking at first. But I decided to unplug and start all over again few attempts.

After the third try I decided to call Ionity and noticed a message on the charging station.
E16F1551-2357-430A-B9DC-1C3B00DDD3A7.jpeg

That message seems to indicate that there was a problem with the charger and the available power at the station. A Jaguar i-pace arrived and plugged in successfully afterwards.

In the call with Ionity they suspected a faulty communication between my car and the station and we proceeded to try again with me pushing and holding the charge cable securely to the car after the agent had rebooted the charger. Then everything worked, but I noticed that the power delivery was much lower than my earlier stops at this station with similar SOC and weather. The battery was also preheated to about 30 C. So perhaps there was just a La k of power available at the time and some communication glitch between the car and station.

4B5E2C04-4D5A-49C4-8BC9-D73D10218F58.jpeg
BECC2460-6A66-43D1-BF16-004F8AE9AD32.jpeg

E16F1551-2357-430A-B9DC-1C3B00DDD3A7.jpeg

Hi there,

To answer your questions,

1) The message in the tube appeared after around 90 seconds or so (presumably once the charger and the car had tried and subsequently failed to talk to one another nicely).

2)Had the same red light in the charge port, yes.

3) No message on the IONITY screen that I recall.

I’m due to try again tomorrow on my way home from work (nothing like the pressure of getting home promptly for Christmas to add to the piquancy) so I’ll see what’s what then. Fingers crossed…..

OP
OP
MrB

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You could do with another member from here with a Taycan meet you at the charging station and both try it.

That would let you know if it's likely the station or your car (or the combination of your car at that station)
Good idea - there was a Taycan driving away as I pulled up the other day - maybe I’ll have a Christmas miracle tomorrow!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
I guess you have seen this video on how to hold the cable in order for the connectors to communicate properly

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
I had it 3 times (my charging ports are electrically operated), that for Porsche software starts to give that reassuring familiarity….

First time it was just a false positive. The second time seems. The second time was due to the fact that the small plastic tab for the fast-charger (right side) was accidentally left open and the flap couldn't close.

The third time on Ionity partly resembles your case. The error message appeared on the display (as in the "Scandinavian" post) . I changed the charging point and restarted the procedure and all went well
Porsche Taycan Left Charge Port Impaired. D8EF3B38-DE39-43A9-AF90-FACB4B11E0D0
l.

OP
OP
MrB

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had it 3 times (my charging ports are electrically operated), that for Porsche software starts to give that reassuring familiarity….

First time it was just a false positive. The second time seems. The second time was due to the fact that the small plastic tab for the fast-charger (right side) was accidentally left open and the flap couldn't close.

The third time on Ionity partly resembles your case. The error message appeared on the display (as in the "Scandinavian" post) . I changed the charging point and restarted the procedure and all went well
D8EF3B38-DE39-43A9-AF90-FACB4B11E0D0.jpeg
l.
Thanks for that. I tried 3 of the 4 available chargers before I was about to quit and limp to Porsche Hatfield when I thought, what the heck, and tried the PCM reboot. It may well be coincidence but it worked thereafter. As I’ll be back at IONITY around 11 am tomorrow I‘ll see what’s what. I’m wondering if the loose fitting plastic flap that covers the bottom of the DC socket is perhaps at fault if there’s a sensor in there somewhere (not the flap itself but the part below the hinge that inserts into the vehicle).

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Interesting. Please keep us posted. I remember well I did not reboot. But anything is possible. As we all know the SW is plagued with all sorts of ridiculous errors, bugs… the loose fitting plastic might be at fault as well .
in one of my cases the electric door could not close as it kept hitting against the plastic DC flap you mentioned - which had remained accidentally open. How stupid in this case that there’s not a sensor preventing the charging port from trying to close when the flap is open

Thanks for that. I tried 3 of the 4 available chargers before I was about to quit and limp to Porsche Hatfield when I thought, what the heck, and tried the PCM reboot. It may well be coincidence but it worked thereafter. As I’ll be back at IONITY around 11 am tomorrow I‘ll see what’s what. I’m wondering if the loose fitting plastic flap that covers the bottom of the DC socket is perhaps at fault if there’s a sensor in there somewhere (not the flap itself but the part below the hinge that inserts into the vehicle).

OP
OP
MrB

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. Please keep us posted. I remember well I did not reboot. But anything is possible. As we all know the SW is plagued with all sorts of ridiculous errors, bugs… the loose fitting plastic might be at fault as well .
in one of my cases the electric door could not close as it kept hitting against the plastic DC flap you mentioned - which had remained accidentally open. How stupid in this case that there’s not a sensor preventing the charging port from trying to close when the flap is open
Will do, and I completely agree! It’s fortunate that the car, when it’s behaving, is so utterly sublime.
Sponsored