First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Hi,

I recently purchased the following Thule roof rack components but I have been unable to get the Fixpoint system to bolt to the anchor points.

The three pieces together don’t sit on the roof properly, there is a gap on the inboard side of 1/4 inch. If I remove the hard plastic piece that fits inside and under the rubber boot then the soft rubber boot will lay flush and conform to the roof contours as expected. The bolt however does not align with the hole in the metal bracket. To force alignment, the rubber boot must be tilted on the inboard edge creating the 1/4 inch gap.

Thule suggested taking the car and components to an authorized retailer so that’s what I did. After REI tried mounting the anchors to the fixed points, they have the same conclusion, something with the components is incorrect as it doesn’t fit the car as directed.

Thule also made a suggestion contradicting the directions. They said to rotate the boot with the bracket and hard plastic piece so the vertical edge on the metal bracket is on the inboard side.

This only made it worse. Thus far, Thule hasn’t responded to REI or to me leaving me to ask other Taycan owners what their experience is.

I’ve attached pictures of how it sits, as the printed directions indicate.

How it fits without the hard plastic feet. This is how the rubber boot sits flat.

How the bolt is positioned closer to the edge and not center as the hole in the metal bracket is.

• Thule WingBar Edge 104 cm roof bar 1-pack black | 721520
  • Thule WingBar Edge 95 cm roof bar 1-pack black | 721420
  • Thule Edge Fixpoint foot for vehicles 4-pack black | 720701
  • Thule Kit 18716

Porsche Taycan Need some Thule help, Thule itself is useless IMG_5110

Porsche Taycan Need some Thule help, Thule itself is useless IMG_5112

Porsche Taycan Need some Thule help, Thule itself is useless IMG_5111

Porsche Taycan Need some Thule help, Thule itself is useless IMG_5113

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

I recently purchased the following Thule roof rack components but I have been unable to get the Fixpoint system to bolt to the anchor points.

The three pieces together don’t sit on the roof properly, there is a gap on the inboard side of 1/4 inch. If I remove the hard plastic piece that fits inside and under the rubber boot then the soft rubber boot will lay flush and conform to the roof contours as expected. The bolt however does not align with the hole in the metal bracket. To force alignment, the rubber boot must be tilted on the inboard edge creating the 1/4 inch gap.

Thule suggested taking the car and components to an authorized retailer so that’s what I did. After REI tried mounting the anchors to the fixed points, they have the same conclusion, something with the components is incorrect as it doesn’t fit the car as directed.

Thule also made a suggestion contradicting the directions. They said to rotate the boot with the bracket and hard plastic piece so the vertical edge on the metal bracket is on the inboard side.

This only made it worse. Thus far, Thule hasn’t responded to REI or to me leaving me to ask other Taycan owners what their experience is.

I’ve attached pictures of how it sits, as the printed directions indicate.

How it fits without the hard plastic feet. This is how the rubber boot sits flat.

How the bolt is positioned closer to the edge and not center as the hole in the metal bracket is.

• Thule WingBar Edge 104 cm roof bar 1-pack black | 721520
  • Thule WingBar Edge 95 cm roof bar 1-pack black | 721420
  • Thule Edge Fixpoint foot for vehicles 4-pack black | 720701
  • Thule Kit 18716

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5113.jpeg
Obvious question but have you got the correct foot kit? The following is for the sedan:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rack/car-roof-racks/thule-wingbar-edge-_-95xx

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
If you can return the Thule roof rack, order the Porsche roof rack....it is beautifully made/detailed, and is very easy to install and remove. One of the nicest ones I have owned. I have had Thules for my other vehicles, and was going to buy a Thule, but they were unavailable in 2020 when I bought my 4S. i was very surprised/impressed at how robust and well thought-out the Porsche rack is....it even comes with a simple torque wrench for tightening the screws.

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Obvious question but have you got the correct foot kit? The following is for the sedan:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rack/car-roof-racks/thule-wingbar-edge-_-95xx
All pieces I ordered are reported by Thule as the correct ones for the vehicle. The component that loaded with the link you provided is for the component that attaches to the component I am having difficulty with. So if in succession, the parts I am installing first are labeled A, then the part you linked is part B and would attach to part A. If part A isn't secured, then part B can't be either.

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
If you can return the Thule roof rack, order the Porsche roof rack....it is beautifully made/detailed, and is very easy to install and remove. One of the nicest ones I have owned. I have had Thules for my other vehicles, and was going to buy a Thule, but they were unavailable in 2020 when I bought my 4S. i was very surprised/impressed at how robust and well thought-out the Porsche rack is....it even comes with a simple torque wrench for tightening the screws.
Given Porsche didn't manufacture the roof rack system, they might very well have used Thule. I doubt a German company would have hired a US company like Yakima when Thule is European. I like Thule because most of their US product line is made in the US.

That said, I may have to go the Porsche route if Thule isn't helpful in figuring out why the very pieces they told me would fit my vehicle in fact, don't.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It’s OEM’d by Thule….

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
All pieces I ordered are reported by Thule as the correct ones for the vehicle. The component that loaded with the link you provided is for the component that attaches to the component I am having difficulty with. So if in succession, the parts I am installing first are labeled A, then the part you linked is part B and would attach to part A. If part A isn't secured, then part B can't be either.
Seems odd though given Thule make the Porsche bars and feet packs for Porsche.

Search the forum as others have successfully installed on both CT with bars and Sedan with no bars.
Sponsored