Official - Android Auto will not be available to MY2021 or earlier

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
After many attempts to find out if an update to PCM 6 will bring Android Auto to MY2021 cars and earlier, I got a negative plus that there's no time window for any of the past cars. If you own an Android Porsche expects you to switch to Iphone or sell your car. Whatever fits you.

This is for me the biggest concern for this car. I know Tesla is using updates for its marketing benefits. While it's understandable that past cars should go thorough testing before embedding new features, this looks to me more of a sales gimmick rather than a reasonable problem Porsche faces. Changes are not that dramatic to justify this.

If you want to check for your own car, you can email them at [email protected]. Maybe more emails will make them understand OTA updates are really important for their customers and for Porsche (for instance the interior alarm issue that happens to all CT models might be solved or at least ameliorated).

====================================
Thank you for your email to Porsche from the 3rd of December, 2021 regarding the Android Auto feature.

We apologize for delayed response and any inconvenience(s) caused.

Please be informed that after a detailed analyzation of your vehicle in our system and a detailed discussion of this specific case with our responsible departments, we can inform you that Porsche still has not planned an update for your vehicle.

Please bear in mind that all factors are discussed when planning an update of this kind. Therefore, we are unable to provide a concrete answer if your vehicle will be planned for an update.

For news and updates regarding Android Auto, please visit the below-mentioned link:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/

In case of further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Sincerely,
Your Porsche team​
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
After many attempts to find out if an update to PCM 6 will bring Android Auto to MY2021 cars and earlier, I got a negative plus that there's no time window for any of the past cars. If you own an Android Porsche expects you to switch to Iphone or sell your car. Whatever fits you.

This is for me the biggest concern for this car. I know Tesla is using updates for its marketing benefits. While it's understandable that past cars should go thorough testing before embedding new features, this looks to me more of a sales gimmick rather than a reasonable problem Porsche faces. Changes are not that dramatic to justify this.

If you want to check for your own car, you can email them at [email protected]. Maybe more emails will make them understand OTA updates are really important for their customers and for Porsche (for instance the interior alarm issue that happens to all CT models might be solved or at least ameliorated).

Thank you for your email to Porsche from the 3rd of December, 2021 regarding the Android Auto feature.

We apologize for delayed response and any inconvenience(s) caused.

Please be informed that after a detailed analyzation of your vehicle in our system and a detailed discussion of this specific case with our responsible departments, we can inform you that Porsche still has not planned an update for your vehicle.

Please bear in mind that all factors are discussed when planning an update of this kind. Therefore, we are unable to provide a concrete answer if your vehicle will be planned for an update.

For news and updates regarding Android Auto, please visit the below-mentioned link:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/

In case of further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Sincerely,
Your Porsche team​

We have to consider that there may be licencing / hardware constraints at play here which can't easily be retro-fitted - OTA is least likely as a means to deliver this compared to a PCM upgrade at a dealership should it become available retrospectively.

I'm an Android user and was initially peeved at the 'Apple First' mentality but on reflection I probably would have made little or no use of the feature and would continue to use Apple Music / PodCasts as built into the PCM. I don't get hung up on apps and have learned to use the Nav / online searching to accompany as needed - it ain't that difficult.

Notwithstanding any of this, It should have been standard from the get go as per other VW marques - disgraceful that it wasn't.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Is there somewhere some kind of release notes document that describes what is changed/fixed in different PCM or porsche connect app software releases ? Or some kind of leaked road map about what to expect in the near future?
Like a list of software changes and fixes in the MY2022 vs MY2021 ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is there somewhere some kind of release notes document that describes what is changed/fixed in different PCM or porsche connect app software releases ? Or some kind of leaked road map about what to expect in the near future?
Like a list of software changes and fixes in the MY2022 vs MY2021 ?
Not that I've seen but no doubt it will exist somewhere but likely not yet in the public domain.

Maxzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Darn it. Tried to get this answered via my dealer as well, but no success. Are there any hardware differences in the PCM between MY21 and MY22?
Sponsored