Rickpriceuk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 C4S
Country flag
Morning. Anybody know how I could find the previous owner of my Taycan? There are a few interesting foibles with it and it would be nice to get some background to it.

Thanks
Richard
Sponsored

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Morning. Anybody know how I could find the previous owner of my Taycan?
In the US, finding the previous owner of a pre-owned car purchased at a dealer would be near impossible. Its a privacy thing. Only chance, as Gareth said, is if they were active in a forum like this and happened to post photos of the car and live in an area with no similar Taycans. What is unusual about your build. More importantly, what are the foibles?

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Up until 6yrs ago it was on the bottom of the V5C.

Now, the only way I suspect you'll find out is by posting a lonely hearts on the various car fora. It may work (previous owner of mine saw me post a photo of the car and got in touch).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Morning. Anybody know how I could find the previous owner of my Taycan? There are a few interesting foibles with it and it would be nice to get some background to it.

Thanks
Richard
Ask your dealer to reach out. They may be reluctant but easiest way i think.

Alternatively, share your foibles here and we can possibly help.

OP
OP

Rickpriceuk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 C4S
Country flag
In the UK we have a thing called GDPR. It means data is fairly closely protected. So asking the dealer will get a resounding ‘no’.

Foibles:
In 6 months of ownership I have only washed the car once. This would be great but the reason I have not washed the car is because the dealer has done it for me every time it’s been in for something - it’s running at once a month at the moment, last time for 2 weeks. So the car has probably only spent about 4 months on my driveway (if that).

The list is complicated and not huge but includes:

Failed heater servos resulting in a whole dashboard out thing to replace. They left an annoying vibration in there at the same time.

A couple of software updates.

The key no longer talks to the car so keyless entry doesn’t work any more.

A full charge today (15dec C) is 187 miles. Apparently I should accept this as normal. Nothing wrong with the batteries.

all the automatic safety systems were failing and so a central control box has been replaced in the ‘hope’ that this will correct.

New rear camera.

At some stage they took off a panel under the front lid and didn’t replace it. They have now, but not before I saw all the grit and crud under there, apparently thrown up by the wheels.

The nice young lady at the dealership tells me the ‘close boot’ button doesn’t work and she has no idea why it is there. I have since found out she is wrong and in fact the many hours of design and engineering put into this button do, in fact, have a purpose.

There’s others that don’t come to me right now.

None huge, just bloody annoying.

Richard

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A full charge today (15dec C) is 187 miles. Apparently I should accept this as normal. Nothing wrong with the batteries.
You can get an OBD reader for peanuts and read the battery values yourself. There's then a thread on here where a chap is collating (ciaranbob iirc) the results so you can see if it's "normal" or not.

What model is it? My GTS ST was similar range wise. What might have helped is adapting how I charge it. I now fairly regularly run it to 20% charged or lower, then up to 85% or sometimes higher.

My indicated range is now over 200 miles (typically 208-220 at present) at 100% charged. And it seems to be able to make that.

Also check your tyre pressures.

Some of the other items you mentioned are just "normal service" (people at the dealer not knowing how things work, crud in hidden places etc).

OP
OP

Rickpriceuk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 C4S
Country flag
Any recommendations on a OBD scanner? Would be nice to have for other cars as well.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
In the UK we have a thing called GDPR. It means data is fairly closely protected. So asking the dealer will get a resounding ‘no’.

Foibles:
In 6 months of ownership I have only washed the car once. This would be great but the reason I have not washed the car is because the dealer has done it for me every time it’s been in for something - it’s running at once a month at the moment, last time for 2 weeks. So the car has probably only spent about 4 months on my driveway (if that).

The list is complicated and not huge but includes:

Failed heater servos resulting in a whole dashboard out thing to replace. They left an annoying vibration in there at the same time.

A couple of software updates.

The key no longer talks to the car so keyless entry doesn’t work any more.

all the automatic safety systems were failing and so a central control box has been replaced in the ‘hope’ that this will correct.

New rear camera.

At some stage they took off a panel under the front lid and didn’t replace it. They have now, but not before I saw all the grit and crud under there, apparently thrown up by the wheels.

The nice young lady at the dealership tells me the ‘close boot’ button doesn’t work and she has no idea why it is there. I have since found out she is wrong and in fact the many hours of design and engineering put into this button do, in fact, have a purpose.

There’s others that don’t come to me right now.

None huge, just bloody annoying.

Richard
I'm GDPR compliant - Dealer can talk to the original owner and act as the middle man - you don't need to know who they are, right? Any and all service history will be accessible by any franchised Porsche Dealer so really no need to revert to the original owner. If non-franchised then this will become a challenge.

I have the same GTS ST (RS Spyders) as you - I charged last night to 85% and got my expected 181 miles guesstimate. As you know the temperature is a fundamental thing here so 180 ish with an ambient of around 5C should be expected. In your case, factor in also the nature of prior journeys - speed, distance, wheel type etc - as this also impacts the guesstimate. I suspect this is the root cause rather than an issue but no harm to follow through. At this time of year the estimates and consumption are on the cusp of change. We had 15C last week and my consumption dropped dramatically on the same root to / from work from 1.6 mi / kWH to 2.5 mi / kWH.

Key fob issues - warranty item so there should be no issue in getting this resolved.

Electric charge port cover - warranty item. The button to open / close only works when car is in P (Park) and powered on.

Close button should work - it's there for a reason - again car must be powered on and possibly in 'P' also - check the manual.

Reactions: D00

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Are you talking about the physical button in the boot or the software button on the screen inside the car?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm GDPR compliant - Dealer can talk to the original owner and act as the middle man - you don't need to know who they are, right? Any and all service history will be accessible by any franchised Porsche Dealer so really no need to revert to the original owner. If non-franchised then this will become a challenge.

I have the same GTS ST (RS Spyders) as you - I charged last night to 85% and got my expected 181 miles guesstimate. As you know the temperature is a fundamental thing here so 180 ish with an ambient of around 5C should be expected. In your case, factor in also the nature of prior journeys - speed, distance, wheel type etc - as this also impacts the guesstimate. I suspect this is the root cause rather than an issue but no harm to follow through. At this time of year the estimates and consumption are on the cusp of change. We had 15C last week and my consumption dropped dramatically on the same root to / from work from 1.6 mi / kWH to 2.5 mi / kWH.

Key fob issues - warranty item so there should be no issue in getting this resolved.

Electric charge port cover - warranty item. The button to open / close only works when car is in P (Park) and powered on.

Close button should work - it's there for a reason - again car must be powered on and possibly in 'P' also - check the manual.
I suspect @Rickpriceuk isn't just looking to resolve the foibles so much as to confirm that the original owner offloaded it because it was a dud and that he should do so similarly before it's out of warranty. Am I warm?

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you ever asked a Porsche dealer?

4 out of 5 times asking for service history I've been told no because of GDPR.

The 5th was an ask pre-GDPR.

Arguing about the validity of this response is pointless. Computer says no.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I suspect @Rickpriceuk isn't just looking to resolve the foibles so much as to confirm that the original owner offloaded it because it was a dud and that he should do so similarly before it's out of warranty. Am I warm?
If from a franchised dealer then its as if it was new and all campaigns would be carried out as would prior and future warranty work.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Have you ever asked a Porsche dealer?

4 out of 5 times asking for service history I've been told no because of GDPR.

The 5th was an ask pre-GDPR.

Arguing about the validity of this response is pointless. Computer says no.
You're missing my point. The dealer has access to the history of the vehicle and so that is the primary reference.

No personal data need be shared.

As a last resort therefore the dealer may reach out to the prior owner if something is deemed untoward.
Sponsored

Reactions: D00