Race Tex or Leather for durability and comfort?

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
:ninja:Im having a hard time deciding between the standard race Tex or leather in the GTS. Both are the same price. I have two things to consider though. First, I need them to be soft and comfortable. Race Tex requires me to get the 18-way sport seats - are these harder and less comfortable over longer periods? Second - I have two young kids. Which is better for durability? Race Tex or Leather? I’d really love the input, thank you!
Sponsored

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Get leather for durability and kid-proofing! Remember to swap out for leather steering wheel too.

You still get roof lining in race-tex, so you will have the best of both worlds.

Nick Murray done a video discussing the pro/con of the material, worth taking a look.

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!!

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Get leather for durability and kid-proofing! Remember to swap out for leather steering wheel too.

You still get roof lining in race-tex, so you will have the best of both worlds.

Nick Murray done a video discussing the pro/con of the material, worth taking a look.
Well.............my 2021 4S has Race Tex as well as the 18 way seats (ventilated). 5,000 miles and I cannot see any wear on the seats or steering wheel. I run and walk every day of the week and hit the health club 3 times a week. I am pretty sweaty when if finish a run or leave the health club and still the seats show no wear. This is my first Porsche (past Porsches were 911s with partial leather) with Race Tex and the 18 way seats and I would configure the same way even after seeing this video. One final thought..............it's just a car that is meant to be driven. Maybe if I had purchased a Bentley or Rolls Royce I would feel differently but I see Porsche as a driver's car and some wear and tear is going to happen.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Well.............my 2021 4S has Race Tex as well as the 18 way seats (ventilated). 5,000 miles and I cannot see any wear on the seats or steering wheel. I run and walk every day of the week and hit the health club 3 times a week. I am pretty sweaty when if finish a run or leave the health club and still the seats show no wear. This is my first Porsche (past Porsches were 911s with partial leather) with Race Tex and the 18 way seats and I would configure the same way even after seeing this video. One final thought..............it's just a car that is meant to be driven. Maybe if I had purchased a Bentley or Rolls Royce I would feel differently but I see Porsche as a driver's car and some wear and tear is going to happen.
I think that there is no reason why Race-tex cannot be looked after and look good, however, particularly with children, there is probably a bit more care required.

For that reason, if you want Race-tex, then I'd go for it and just take a bit more care! That's what I will be doing.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Well.............my 2021 4S has Race Tex as well as the 18 way seats (ventilated). 5,000 miles and I cannot see any wear on the seats or steering wheel.
Similar for me. Black over Slate Grey Racetex interior with ventilated 18-way seats in my 21 Taycan Turbo at 6700 miles of road trips, rear seat dog- and baby-hauling, and even cats in traps (!) still looks like new (as does the full-PPFed Frozen Blue Metallic exterior). I really love this animal-free interior. No regrets here.

If it looks like the stuff in the video after a while, then I guess I'll get it reupholstered?

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
In 2005 I bought a Toyota Prius because I was interested by the E-CVT, I had worked on the Formula 1 CVT system which got banned because it was better and only 1 team had it.

I expected not to like it much based on internet BS and sell it soon but actually I love d the car and my daughter has it now (and we have had at least 1 Prius ever since FWIW).
Anyway, for a brief period back then a grey Alcantara interior was an option and I chose it because I thought it looked great.

It still looks great 16 years on and I still prefer it to anything that they have offered since.

I have never had an Alcantara covering on the steering wheel and the racing steering wheels don't look good for long. I wouldn't choose alcantara for a road car steering wheel personally.

Personally I have gone for leather because none of the non-leather interior colours appeal to me but I would have chosen alcantara if it was available in a nice colour.
Sponsored