Taking apart side markers

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Anyone ever taken apart the side Taycan markers? Is it even possible or are they glued permanently? I'm curious because I just noticed that the transparent plastic on the orange ones is actually orange in color, which means perhaps the reflector inside is clear/white, rather than orange. My Taycan is white, I have the clear ones on right now, but perhaps the orange ones can be converted to clear/white reflecting ones which might look good on a white car and provide some safety functionality while parked.
Sponsored

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
The dealer did my change from amber to clear the day of delivery, I purchased them from Suncoast. I changed mine out on my Cayman, it was a breeze, it was a bit more involved on the Taycan so I let the professionals do it.

Porsche Taycan Taking apart side markers 48E54155-FC2B-4997-8624-C189412DE997

Porsche Taycan Taking apart side markers 3A45A0C6-2226-4EC0-AE2B-41AC23D8070B

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plenty of others have done it:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/clear-side-marker-lights-installed.14722/
tho I do not understand why, but to each his/her own.
Those are the clear, non-reflective ones. I already have those. I was pondering converting the orange ones into clear with clear/white reflector inside (which is present inside the orange ones, but missing from the OEM clear ones). This is why I asked if anyone has taken the actual side markers apart (think changing out the glass in front of the light).

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
They're sealed units. You'll need to butcher them with a Dremel to get them apart and then glue them back together again.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone ever taken apart the side Taycan markers? Is it even possible or are they glued permanently? I'm curious because I just noticed that the transparent plastic on the orange ones is actually orange in color, which means perhaps the reflector inside is clear/white, rather than orange. My Taycan is white, I have the clear ones on right now, but perhaps the orange ones can be converted to clear/white reflecting ones which might look good on a white car and provide some safety functionality while parked.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Still lost. You have clear markers on there now but you want to convert orange to clear or white? Wouldn’t clear just be the same? And what do you mean white? You want the lens color to match the paint on the car? Doubt that it would allow the orange light to go through.

The amber signals are white bulbs behind amber plastic. The clear signals are amber bulbs behind clear plastic.

Maybe some translucent white paint over the clear lens would work.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still lost. You have clear markers on there now but you want to convert orange to clear or white? Wouldn’t clear just be the same? And what do you mean white? You want the lens color to match the paint on the car? Doubt that it would allow the orange light to go through.

The amber signals are white bulbs behind amber plastic. The clear signals are amber bulbs behind clear plastic.

Maybe some translucent white paint over the clear lens would work.
Similar to this (from the above post). Notice those appear to have a white reflector inside, vs. black plastic on the Taycan clear side markers.
Porsche Taycan Taking apart side markers 1680486157036

It seems the orange side markers for Taycan have such a reflector inside, it just looks orange due to the color of the plastic covering.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just stick with the OEM euro side marker and call it a day. It's not worth the effort to take it apart and glue it back together. It looks just as good as is and you aren't gaining much out of it, if any, or worse you end up ruining both side markers.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just stick with the OEM euro side marker and call it a day. It's not worth the effort to take it apart and glue it back together. It looks just as good as is and you aren't gaining much out of it, if any, or worse you end up ruining both side markers.
Yea, realistically that is what is going to happen. I do have 2 spare sets of side markers I could experiment with if I want to (one orange and one clear), but not sure it's worth my time. If it was easy, I would try, worst case scenario I would put back the clear euro ones I have on the car now. Hence this thread, to find out if it's easy.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Similar to this (from the above post). Notice those appear to have a white reflector inside, vs. black plastic on the Taycan clear side markers.
1680486157036.png

It seems the orange side markers for Taycan have such a reflector inside, it just looks orange due to the color of the plastic covering.
I understand what you are trying to do. You basically don’t want to lose the reflective element of the original amber ones but don’t want the amber colour on the outside. I guess I wasn’t the only person pondering about the same thing lol. Well let us know how it goes if you do decide to take the OEM apart!