First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 ST GTS
Country flag
Insurance quote was a bit ridiculous.

it’s cheaper to insure a R8 V10 which I guess is why Taycans are so cheap in the U.K.
That sounds mad. My GTS was cheaper than my CT4 and significantly cheaper than the Velar I had last year
Sponsored

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
Porsches are built to last with relatively minor cosmetic refreshes every few years. Our MY2022 GTS is a phenominal vehicle that has required much less service that the ICE cars we’ve owned. We pay cash for our carefully selected cars and drive them for 10+ years typically. I see no reason to not keep the GTS for at least 10 years. The charging infrastructure will only improve and while the new models will get better, the Taycan is head and shoulders better than any other sport sedan on the road today, EV or ICE.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I totally agree....I have kept nearly all of my vehicle of the past 50 years for at least 10 years.
250,000 miles was a normal mileage when I sold them. Until about a decade ago, they were exclusively Mercedes E class diesels.

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, EQS, Range Rover
Country flag
Interesting.
I see you list an EQS and would expect it to be more luxurious for passengers, particularly back seat ones, but my Taycan CT4S with comfort, massage and ventilated seats and the extra 15mm of bump travel is extremely comfortable to drive and has, IMO, an excellent balance between handling and body control in Normal mode, is your EQS more luxurious to drive or just to be in?

I didn’t find the 18-way seats quite as comfortable and the small amount of extra support wasn’t enough to compensate for ventilation and massage not being available for them.
Weirdly I think the EQS is not that comfortable for rear seat passengers. It has plenty of room, but the seats are in a slightly awkward position which is not entirely comfortable. I had an S Class which was way more comfortable in the back.

However the EQS as the driver is incredibly comfortable. I have the Exclusive Luxury which has all the comfort options and interior upgrades. The seats are lounge chair comfy - fully heated, ventilated and massaging - the car is unbelievably quiet, smooth and relaxing to drive. The interior is also luxurious, again maybe not to well spec’d S Class standards, but it’s definitely a proper luxury car inside.

I tested the new S Class against the new EQS back to back to decide which to go for, and I found the EQS more luxurious overall. I didn’t expect that. But the smoothness of the ride and silence on the motorway is pretty amazing.

However it is a luxury car, and that’s all it is. There’s no doubt it beats the Taycan hands down for cabin luxury, ride comfort, and range (it can easily do 350+ miles at 75mph). But that is entirely as you would expect since the Taycan is more of a GT car, and what you give up in all-out luxury, you get back in driving dynamics and driving enjoyment. For me the Taycan is the better all round car, with more personality than the EQS. I like the Taycan more. If it had high 200s motorway range in winter then it’d the only car I want or need. (Well other than a 599 GTB I keep eyeing).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
However it is a luxury car, and that’s all it is. There’s no doubt it beats the Taycan hands down for cabin luxury, ride comfort, and range (it can easily do 350+ miles at 75mph). But that is entirely as you would expect since the Taycan is more of a GT car, and what you give up in all-out luxury, you get back in driving dynamics and driving enjoyment. For me the Taycan is the better all round car, with more personality than the EQS. I like the Taycan more. If it had high 200s motorway range in winter then it’d the only car I want or need.
Thanks very much for that comprehensive explanation.
I had been toying with the idea of an S-Class or Bentley before I tried the Taycan, which actually suits my requirements perfectly.
I wish it were 15cm narrower though.

OP
OP

Bailey.

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amarok, Leon hybrid
Country flag
That sounds mad. My GTS was cheaper than my CT4 and significantly cheaper than the Velar I had last year
R8 insurance and extended warranty is surprisingly cheap in the U.K.

Comparison sites quoted £3500 on a Taycan. Some insurers on the comparison sites wouldn’t quote.

If EV uptake is to be encouraged the insurance situation needs to be sorted.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
R8 insurance and extended warranty is surprisingly cheap in the U.K.

Comparison sites quoted £3500 on a Taycan. Some insurers on the comparison sites wouldn’t quote.

If EV uptake is to be encouraged the insurance situation needs to be sorted.
Agree.

How much was the R8 quote coming in at (approx) out of interest?

Pmfmagalhaes

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am actually having the first service on my May 2022 Taycan RWD which has 21k km and I'm honestly toying with the idea of "getting out" of the taycan and going for "the dream" - the 991.2 - to kind of pause that eye-watering depreciation. From what I've been reading here in The Netherlands, legislation might not be as supportive of EV adoption anymore and with spiking insurance costs on the taycan and everything that has been said in this thread already, I feel like a bit of a "fool in the middle of the bridge"...
I'll check what "packages" the Porsche Centre can put together when I drop the Taycan for service but not expecting them to even listen to my outcry :D

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
However the EQS as the driver is incredibly comfortable. I have the Exclusive Luxury which has all the comfort options and interior upgrades. The seats are lounge chair comfy - fully heated, ventilated and massaging - the car is unbelievably quiet, smooth and relaxing to drive.
Nice write-up, I also have a ("pinnacle") EQS and Taycan and I agree. The EQS is just super comfortable to drive, especially on longer drives -- silent and smooth. It has a ton of trunk space as well. and at night it looks wonderful with the ambient lighting -- a space ship :)
But then, the Taycan has a lot more "personality" and doesn't isolate you as much from the road. Nice precise steering etc. It's just much more of a sports car. To me, these are both the best EV's in their target segment -- and I plan to keep them as long as I can 😀
Sponsored

Last edited: