Anyone plan to keep their taycan long term (8+ years)?

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
In the past, I've owned cars for 10+ years but the past few cars have been leases mostly because a) the lease terms were good b) They weren't cars that I felt strongly enough about to where I wanted to keep them long term c) the projected long term maintenance/repair costs made it such that it didn't really make sense to buy and hold them.

As is typical for Porsche, the lease terms (in the US atleast) are pretty bad. And, I've really fallen for the Taycan. Absolutely love the way it looks, feels and drives. It appears to be put together very well. The design is also quite elegant and timeless. Plus, as an EV it should have lower maintenance/repair costs over the long term (yes, I know there are issues now but i'm sure most of these teething issues will be sorted out during the warranty period). It's also quite expensive (from my perspective), so if I'm going to lose a lot of money in depreciation i'd prefer to amortize that over a longer period.

I'm actually not really a "gadget person", so the prospect of missing out on future tech features (including battery tech) that get introduced over a longer ownership period doesn't really bug me. The only things I can think of that would make me regret such a decision would be a) quirks or comfort issues with the car that eventually drive me nuts b) chronic reliability issues. Of course, those types of things can crop up with any car.

Just wanted to see if anyone else see things similarly and also just write out some thoughts I've been having on the subject. Sorry if this post was a bit rambling :)
I have always bought high end cars outright and tend to keep them at least 10 years if not long as long as I do not have any major issues. So far this plan has worked for me less a Land Rover I had(got a dog and had to put it down).
Sponsored

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My intention is 8-10 years. I'll be disappointed if I don't get that. I'm a Toyota Land Cruiser fan as well, and my current 911 Turbo S is going on 7 years.
My Turbo S 911 is 6 years old, great car, no issues at all.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I definitely intend on keeping the car a long time. I have never owned a car for longer than three years, however, so my intentions may not end up matching my actions. :CWL:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I always keep a car a long time if I like it. I have had my current cars 31, 25 and 4 years. The first I will sell since I won't use it once the Taycan is here, it being a 4-door 4-seater. The second I may keep because I am concerned about longevity of digital electronics, more software and firmware update compatibility. If the Taycan is quick and reliable I will sell the 2 seater.

I have a premium conventional amp and speakers in my Hifi which cost more than the Taycan but have been working faultlessly for 25 years and there are still none I prefer that I have heard, so haven't been a waste of money for me.
About 6 years ago I bought some clever DSP controlled active speakers where the digital system and powerful amp compensated for the speaker being small to produce the bass of a bigger one. It works effectively and they sound great but are hardware incompatible with the latest software and firmware updates. Basically that means that the new ones need to be amortised over a potentially 5 times shorter life :( that potentially is the problem of all modern digital devices of course and seems to be getting worse, my last 2 Macbook Pros had much worse battery life and general reliability than any of the previous ones.

Battery life is my main concern, the car has more functions than I will use, or even want, already but I will be avidly following all the advice about charging to minimise the battery deterioration rate.

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Bumping this thread to see how y’all feel in 2024 and had anything changed :)

Pe4ivko

First Name
Andrii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F30
Country flag
Not a chance keeping this after the battery warranty runs out
Yes, possible battery change cost are crazy😱
I am just wondering would that be possible to put there newer battery, I mean bigger capacity for example.
Also have idea if that would be possible to use old battery as home energy backup🤔

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Yes, possible battery change cost are crazy😱
I am just wondering would that be possible to put there newer battery, I mean bigger capacity for example.
Also have idea if that would be possible to use old battery as home energy backup🤔
Had 12 cells replaced in mine and that ran 46k can’t imagine what a battery change would cost.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I plan on keeping mine long term. However will be extending the warranty as long as I can.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I plan on keeping mine long term. However will be extending the warranty as long as I can.
Plan to keep long term as well and will go for extended warranty when time comes. I think they will change the look in future gens not to my liking. I cannot see anything dramatic they can improve on except making the battery lighter with more range. Anyone can use more range but not at the expense of weight at this point. No issue with range or charge speed. The only benefit I can see, to me, would be a battery swap in the future, costs making sense, for an improved kind that is lighter and with the same range at a minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 007

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had 12 cells replaced in mine and that ran 46k can’t imagine what a battery change would cost.
12 battery cells changed in your Taycan? What model year is it? How about some details as to what occurred, mileage, etc., how problem was diagnosed, how long fix took?
Did they replace battery modules/groups of cells? If so, how many modules?

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Covered by warranty or you actually paid that?
Oh no covered by warranty. Still have close to three years left on standard warranty and another close to 5 on the battery. That wasn’t even the total bill as some other items were replaced.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
12 battery cells changed in your Taycan? What model year is it? How about some details as to what occurred, mileage, etc., how problem was diagnosed, how long fix took?
Did they replace battery modules/groups of cells? If so, how many modules?
12 individual cells but it was not made clear to me in how many packs they were distributed in. It’s a 2020 and I had 20k miles on it at the time.

I originally had the yellow warning light. Drove the car for a full month with this warning while waiting on my appointment. Car always drove fine but my mileage was terrible 85% was an integrated 165-170. In range mode babying it the best I could get was 200. A couple times the vehicle stopped charging on my level to home charger with a charging error. Right before I dropped it off the car would only get 1 mile for every 1% battery.

My local dealer original diagnosed it as a bad high voltage charger and battery booster. They ordered those parts and the car sat for three weeks waiting on the parts to arrive. During this three weeks the high voltage battery discharged to zero percent battery from 100.

After they installed the replacement parts the vehicle was throwing a whole bunch of codes that they couldn’t figure out. From there it was sent to a larger dealer for diagnosis. Eventually it was Porsche HQ that made the call between cell replacement and a full battery replacement. Still believe these cell replacements are just a bad aide. Was really hoping for a new battery. Then the wait for the specialized master tech from Atlanta to come.

All in all it took a bit over four months after they got the car in the shop to get sorted. I had a nice loaner car the whole time so I can’t complain too much. However four months to me is unacceptable to wait for a fix. My wife has completely given up on owning any electric vehicle and almost resulted in the immediate sale of the car once it returned.

That 46k was only for one of the dealers work the other dealers invoice I never received. So the total bill was actually larger.

So far the car has been perfect since it’s came back and regularly shows 240-250 at 85% battery. Even with these cold temperatures I am getting more range than before.

One thing to note is they recommend every month or two to drain the battery down to 20% and let it sit over night. Those fully balances all the cells and will trip any codes if there are bad ones. If you don’t do this the codes will never trip.
Sponsored