Taycan GTS vs Tesla Model S Plaid

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I find it funny when some Joe shmo complains he has to "explain himself" when Elon Musk says "something stupid".
The guy responsible for the biggest revolution in electric cars, who built a company(from nothing) with bigger value then GM, Ford and Stellantis put together.
...but the nobody "expert" feels the need to explain.........
Btw, Taycan GTS, at about $40k-60k higher price, should be better put together and of higher quality materials then a car that runs circles around it in every measurable performance category.
Regardless, it still is a very overpriced, very average and overrated car.
Thanks Mark!
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I find it funny when some Joe shmo complains he has to "explain himself" when Elon Musk says "something stupid".
The guy responsible for the biggest revolution in electric cars, who built a company(from nothing) with bigger value then GM, Ford and Stellantis put together.
...but the nobody "expert" feels the need to explain.........
Btw, Taycan GTS, at about $40k-60k higher price, should be better put together and of higher quality materials then a car that runs circles around it in every measurable performance category.
Regardless, it still is a very overpriced, very average and overrated car.
😂

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
He didn't start Tesla and the fact that the share price values it above the companies you mention just goes to prove how very twisted and broken the stock market system is. It is about gambling and fashion not business.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
As a previous two Tesla car owner and for the past three years owner of a Taycan Turbo S, I summarize the answer to this comparison as follows:

The Tesla is a crappy low quality very fast car with an awesome software. The Taycan is an awesome high quality car with a crappy software....

;)

OP
OP

Cincy2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S Plaid, Mercedes EQB
Country flag
The Taycan is an awesome high quality car with a crappy software....

;)
After reading the user manual and sitting in the car for a few hours working through it, I am pleased with the end state. I wish the software was more intuitive and all options were at most one level below the menu but that would be difficult to do without the 15 inch screen in the Tesla. Not much has been said about the brilliant colors and high resolution of the Taycan screen. I find it very satisfying to use. After about a week since trading my Model S, the only real gripe I have about the Taycan software is that when I make a driving mode, chassis height or regeneration selection, it doesn't remain when the car is turned off. You have to remember to make those same every time. Am I missing something?

Thx
Cincy

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
when I make a driving mode, chassis height or regeneration selection, it doesn't remain when the car is turned off. You have to remember to make those same every time. Am I missing something?
I read it reverts to the setting at which the official efficiency test was done.

I actually have come to prefer the default for most journeys, I think Porsche chose well :)

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I split the software into “car” software and “entertainment” software.

It seems we can agree that the car software is markedly superior in the Porsche.

I am a bit old school on the entertainment side, having seen driver tests showing using a hands free phone to be the least distraction of all the non-driving features of modern cars but similar to driving drunk I don’t use them much, so whether they are good or not isn’t a big deal for me.

I do have my ‘phone connected if I take it with me, in case anybody calls and mine works fine from the steering wheel control.

I have never had a PCM reset or reboot but did once in the last 18 months just have “Taycan” in the centre display but the car drove normally so i ignored it - nothing on there of great importance.

I haven’t bothered with Apple CarPlay, it does nothing I want.

So for me, any superiority a Tesla may have are in its aspects that of tiny interest for my use and the areas where Porsche’s software are way better than Teslasare those I consider important - so easy decision for me.
I wanted to get back on this older post. I think those of us who tend to favor the “classic” interpretation of a car also tend to classify its software in “system” (what you called “car software”) and “entertainment”.

Tesla, though, broke that convention (reasons don’t matter) and adopted software intensively for the “operational” aspect of the car. This is a long-winded way to say “no physical buttons”. That makes their software much more than mere “entertainment”, and indeed the essence of the car’s usability. For some that’s great, for others it’s a downside. Even for those who are fans, some decisions are questionable (just as an example, activating wipers or selecting the direction of travel).

So while I’m firmly in the camp of “Porsche software is perfectly fine”, I can see while the others (Tesla expats, or even those of other brands) gripe about the “quality of the software”: it’s about usability, and, to a lesser degree, the rate of updates.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
I wanted to get back on this older post. I think those of us who tend to favor the “classic” interpretation of a car also tend to classify its software in “system” (what you called “car software”) and “entertainment”.

Tesla, though, broke that convention (reasons don’t matter) and adopted software intensively for the “operational” aspect of the car. This is a long-winded way to say “no physical buttons”. That makes their software much more than mere “entertainment”, and indeed the essence of the car’s usability. For some that’s great, for others it’s a downside. Even for those who are fans, some decisions are questionable (just as an example, activating wipers or selecting the direction of travel).

So while I’m firmly in the camp of “Porsche software is perfectly fine”, I can see while the others (Tesla expats, or even those of other brands) gripe about the “quality of the software”: it’s about usability, and, to a lesser degree, the rate of updates.
Thats a good point, however, to me is simpler than that. Tesla software worked every time. in 6 years and two cars never had a single software issue. Hardware? Yes! The car is terrible as a mechanical car and so is the quality, very low. Software issues, none in 6 years.

The Taycan, on the other hand, has been in the shop for software issues a million times. In fact I kept a daily diary for a month to prove to Porsche that the software issues added on average 30 minutes to my daily routine just to use the car. Last July there was a massive update that solved 90% of the issues but I still get the occasional glitch. As a mechanical car? Amazingly good and I love it.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Thats a good point, however, to me is simpler than that. Tesla software worked every time. in 6 years and two cars never had a single software issue. Hardware? Yes! The car is terrible as a mechanical car and so is the quality, very low. Software issues, none in 6 years.

The Taycan, on the other hand, has been in the shop for software issues a million times. In fact I kept a daily diary for a month to prove to Porsche that the software issues added on average 30 minutes to my daily routine just to use the car. Last July there was a massive update that solved 90% of the issues but I still get the occasional glitch. As a mechanical car? Amazingly good and I love it.
I get the frustration, even though I don’t experience the problems often described here. In my job, I often have interactions with my “customers” (consumers of the platform I work on) that pretty much go the same way - “why did you design it this way, it’s stupid”. And always (in this case, too) it’s a matter of assumptions (what is being solved) and equivalences (that other software does it better/differently).

So when we say “Tesla does this better” - are we comparing a software control with its physical button equivalent (unlock), or, to f1eng’s point, Spotify integration? I’d say Porsche does usability as well as anyone, whether it’s physical buttons or soft interfaces. No comment on updates (and for entertainment it’s carplay for me).
Sponsored