OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
About six weeks ago my car was involved in an altercation with a tow bar. It was my fault but I was a little bit miffed when the driver of the other car who I had been following for a little while, stopped completely unexpectedly, to put their seat belt on!

I learned a few things from this experience. Firstly, I hit the brakes, but just not quickly enough or hard enough to prevent a low speed collision. I’m not sure how effective the collision avoidance radar really is on the Taycan at lower speeds. But I now realise it is a very heavy car and to stop it quickly to avoid a collision in the future I will need to be way more aggressive with the braking, like standing on the brake pedal.

It was then onto the insurance claim and repair process. Getting the car into the repairers, then the car being assessed and quoted, followed by the insurer review and approval took two weeks. Then to repair the car took another two weeks. So one month all up, not too bad.

Repairs involved a new lower front bumper, replacement of the tension bar, replacement of the radar control unit and other supporting elements, re-spray, wheel alignment, radar re-calibration and final detail. It’s as new again, given by end of June delivery.

In the interim I was driving a VW Golf. Nice car. But getting the Taycan back was like wow, same feeling as when I took delivery. It’s just such a great car to drive and such a nice place to be. Absence definitely made the heart grow fonder.

Porsche Taycan Tow bar crunch IMG_2873

Porsche Taycan Tow bar crunch IMG_2873

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I’m not sure how effective the collision avoidance radar really is on the Taycan at lower speeds.
I'm surprised that the auto braking didn't save you, even assuming it didn't allow for the towbar.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Damn sorry to see that.

My dealer went on a Taycan training course and I am pretty sure she said that they tried the collision detection with auto braking and that it only works if you are not braking yourself. And that was the hardest thing, because as you are about to hit something you want to go for the brakes.

Anyway, that’s third hand information - I would advise to ignore it and if you are about to have a collision then brake as needed and not rely on what I said in a forum post!
Sponsored