2020 Taycan Turbo S or 2022 Taycan 4S!?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any insight on my next purchase would be appreciated.

I can buy a 2022 4S(my current car that I did a 2 year one pay lease on)with 27k miles for $85 after they CPO it and I pay about $2,200 for excess mileage. Otherwise the car is i condition.

Or

a 2020 Turbo S with 8k miles for $101k. Both cars will be CPO’s from the dealer with similar specs as the 4S is loaded. 4S MSRP was $136k & Turbo S was $205k.

They are telling me I would need to finance the 4S. The 60 month loan is $1,700 per month. They would allow me to lease the Turbo S for $1,800 per month on a 24 month lease. My logic is that in a 2 years regardless I’ll upgrade so keep that in mind prior to responding. Thank you all in advance for your opinions/advice.

Ps. Anything to be worried about with the 2020 Turbo S being first year in production? I have not had a single problem with my
4S.
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
That’s a tough one, as it’s not clear what is your main priority: flexibility? (Turbo S for 2 years), reliability? (keep your current car, but you’d be paying $17k in interest, and in 5 years you’ll have a ~8 year old car that cost you ~150k).

I’d say wait for the .2 - if you’re paying almost 2k/month might as well be in a current car.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Turbo S for sure - 8K miles is basically a new car. You'll always wonder what it would have been like if you don't get it...😬

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Always a risk when changing from what you know to what you don't, especially in a used car near the end of its warranty. I did it from Audi to Porsche but not without a lot of research and consideration of what I was losing versus gaining beforehand.

Best wishes on your journey of decisions.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That’s a tough one, as it’s not clear what is your main priority: flexibility? (Turbo S for 2 years), reliability? (keep your current car, but you’d be paying $17k in interest, and in 5 years you’ll have a ~8 year old car that cost you ~150k).

I’d say wait for the .2 - if you’re paying almost 2k/month might as well be in a current car.
My logic is that after 2 years I’m going to sell or return the car regardless. If I purchase my current car off lease I would be paying essentially market value. There is no arbitrage on the residual. Considering I can upgrade to the Turbo S for the same monthly payment I think I will go that route. I drove the Turbo S this morning and the extra power was extremely noticeable. I think im going to go with the Turbo S.
Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan Turbo S or 2022 Taycan 4S!? IMG_9742
Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan Turbo S or 2022 Taycan 4S!? IMG_9739
Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan Turbo S or 2022 Taycan 4S!? IMG_9740

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
If you're comfortable with leasing and the payment remains the same, this seems like a pretty simple choice then. Nice looking car.

parkslopedope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 e-tron GT prestige, 08 911 Carerra S
Country flag

I can buy a 2022 4S(my current car that I did a 2 year one pay lease on)with 27k miles for $85 after they CPO it and I pay about $2,200 for excess mileage. Otherwise the car is i condition.

Or

a 2020 Turbo S with 8k miles for $101k. Both cars will be CPO’s from the dealer with similar specs as the 4S is loaded. 4S MSRP was $136k & Turbo S was $205k.

They are telling me I would need to finance the 4S. The 60 month loan is $1,700 per month. They would allow me to lease the Turbo S for $1,800 per month on a 24 month lease. My logic is that in a 2 years regardless I’ll upgrade so keep that in mind prior to responding. Thank you all in advance for your opinions/advice.

Ps. Anything to be worried about with the 2020 Turbo S being first year in production? I have not had a single problem with my
4S.
Based on your circumstances (trading up in 2 years either way) the Turbo S is a no brainer here imo.

However, I do have a question regarding the 4S. If you were buying out the lease, what makes you believe you have to pay for excess mileage?
That typically only applies if you didn’t buy the car at the end and it’s coming back in with more miles than they planned and they have to account for that with the next buyer or the cars residual value.

But if they’re selling it to you, the current lessee that becomes irrelevant. I think you can deduct that charge from the 4S scenario.

Maybe-Used

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID4 Pro-s
Country flag
I am surprised they let you lease a 2020 vehicle. I thought they only allowed leases for new and no far back than 2023.
Question: does Porsche financial allow to extend current lease for few extra months? Other brands allow that. since you are comfortable with an $1800 lease I would wait for the 2.0 version.

MY22PCT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S
Country flag
I have a ‘22 Turbo S with 50,000 miles collected inn8 different countries. Feels exactly the same as the first day.

There has not been a single day when it hasn’t made me smile. I’ve driven most other Taycans and I’ve missed the performance.

My previous car was an R8 V10 Plus and its performance is nothing compared to the Turbo S.

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag

Or

4S.
My experience of a first build year car is lots of interior rattles.
Given the uncertainty around used EV residual values, at least in the Uk, I wouldn’t again put personal money into an EV and think leasing is the way to go. That also sidesteps battery guarantee and battery capacity degradation questions. On the latter, look up Bjorn Nyland from Norway on YouTube.
Sponsored