Active Lane Keep, Hands Free or Glorified Lane Keep Assist?

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
🤔 am I the only person with a properly functioning car? Maybe I won the Taycan lottery?
We’re in the same boat!
Or rather, the same model car.

Perhaps if I conducted a thorough test of my Taycan vs A6ar vs my wife’s i4 I would conclude that … such a test is a waste of time since all systems work fine from my perspective for their (or at least, my) intended purpose of minor corrections during straightforward forward interstate driving.
When the road conditions become more interesting (whether the good kind or the bad kind) then I drive!
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
The only glitch is when changing lanes and my car "sees" the gap between the car in front and the car in the left lane and accelerates into that gap.
Same exact behavior for me. It helps to switch lanes a little bit faster. Would be nice if it was not so aggressive when it sees that gap.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I have noticed that my Taycan is more aggressive than my other ACC vehicles when seeing such a gap.
But I figure that should be expected because it’s … a Porsche!

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Nope. My car is keeping yours company (lottery co-winners?). ALK works very well (have PID, and LKA is always off). It's roughly equal to Tesla's basic autopilot. Stays centered in the lane, handles curves well, responds to the distance to the car in front well. The only glitch is when changing lanes and my car "sees" the gap between the car in front and the car in the left lane and accelerates into that gap. Recovers quickly when it picks up the left hand car in front. Don't use it all that often since the Taycan is better to drive than be driven in, but when I use ALK it works well.
Just to be clear, I believe this odd behavior is in ACC and not ALK.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Say you've left ALK checked and now you're off the highway, there's a disconcerting feeling through the steering wheel that it's still working underneath, so it then needs to be unchecked.
I'm still holding out hope that any .2 improvement makes it into an update.
ALK is only active when ACC is engaged; only LKA is still enabled when ACC disengages.

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
Maybe I am missing something, but I had a tesla for a week, and the Porsche's ALK is not vastly different... it keeps it nice and steady in between the lines both on motorways and country roads, breaks / slows down for the cars in the front - I am really confused why other peoples' cars act differently

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
I should have been more descriptive.
LKA isn't enabled, and I'm using ACC off highway on arterial roads, letting the car ahead keep pace.
As a side note, reading the manual there's a description of CC, unlisted on the website as a standard feature.
Had assumed I had to get ACC to get any CC functionality.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I should have been more descriptive.
LKA isn't enabled, and I'm using ACC off highway on arterial roads, letting the car ahead keep pace.
As a side note, reading the manual there's a description of CC, unlisted on the website as a standard feature.
Had assumed I had to get ACC to get any CC functionality.
ALK (corrected from LKA) engages with ACC if you’ve left it checked (as your other post said). It will definitely try to do its thing in that case. So yeah, you would need to uncheck it in the situation you described if you don’t want it to try and activate.

Last edited:

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
🤔 am I the only person with a properly functioning car? Maybe I won the Taycan lottery?
No, I almost feel silly replying to these threads because I've had relatively little issues with my car in general.

I use ALK+InnoDrive constantly and have very little to complain about. It's very rudimentary, but it keeps the car centred and doesn't hinder my driving at all. To me, it's a no-brainer to just keep it on essentially all the time while commuting.

Compared to Autopilot, it's nowhere near as flashy, but actually I find myself using it a lot more. When Autopilot works, it's incredible, but every now and then it spontaneously tries to murder me and everyone I hold dear, which ALK for all its flaws has never done yet.

My only real complaint is that there is very little feedback when it loses tracking. I've had a few cases where I think it's active when it's not because of faulty road markings or whatever.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My other post said I had ALK checked, not LKA.
That’s what I meant, I just typed it wrong. Will correct.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Just to be clear, I believe this odd behavior is in ACC and not ALK.
I could have been clearer. The ALK symbol goes grey when switching lanes and goes active again when centered in the new lane, so yes, accelerating into the gap is with ACC not ALK.

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I tried the ALK again with LKA deactivated. There is a marginal improvement in the lane wander.
The issue for me isn't the lane wander as much as it is the 30 second nag to take over steering.
The system seems to throttle the line between being helpful and telling me not to rely on it. The whole time it is active, my hand is on the steering wheel. When corrections need to be made, both the car and I make the corrections together which is a bit disconcerting. Like the passenger trying to steer while the driver is. So I keep my hand on the steering wheel but I'm not as quick to make a correction leaving the car to do it. This is more comfortable from the perspective of not having to steer with two sets of hands upon the steering wheel but now, the car alerts me to take over steering.

I like the ACC. It alleviates the need to make micro speed adjustments and doesn't ever nag me to use either pedal. The ALK is like a system capable of doing something it was programmed to do as little as possible.

My PID is still not activated so I can't say how I'd like or dislike it.
Sponsored