Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
When I first got my Taycan in 2021 most people were positive or neutral about ev's.

Now I find most ICE drivers are negative and all come out with the same old arguments that they have 'heard about'.
No experience mind you - just what they have heard / read.
Even people who have no interest in cars and should know better.

They don't want to hear from someone who has driven ICE cars for over 40 years and now has an EV what the pros and cons are.
They already know they are 'bad'.

There are obviously dark forces at play and it was great to see in the UK (amazingly) that this fake news has now been picked up at the top level.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68130432

Couple of screen grabs in case link doesn't work:

Porsche Taycan Anti EV misinformation Screenshot_20240217_090115_Chrome

Porsche Taycan Anti EV misinformation Screenshot_20240217_090108_Chrome

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Government stepping in to provide reliable information?

Biggest joke of the year 😁

People don't like change. What the govt need to do is stop mucking about with deadlines, and stop the charging networks price gouging on public chargers.

From there, let the market sort itself.

There'll always be people moaning about the change. We can try and educate, but if they don't want to listen, that's fair enough. Their loss.

It's not hard to see why the Luddites thing happened a couple of centuries ago.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Oil companies are very rich and have funded the spread of disinformation for ages in a similar way to the tobacco companies in the past.

People believe what they want to far more readily than facts.

People choose a newspaper to have their opinion confirmed rather than read facts that conflict with them.

Shame really and the internet has made it an order of magnitude worse than 30 years ago because the speed of transfer and total lack of any control of veracity on social media.

IMO all social media should comply with the same laws as other publishers.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
a lot of the anti EV propaganda has surfaced recently because in MY opinion the leftists and their sycophants in the media are raining hate down on Musk because he is very anti progressive/woke. Musk is EVs and destroying the EV is akin to destroying Musk.

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Oil companies are very rich and have funded the spread of disinformation for ages in a similar way to the tobacco companies in the past.

People choose a newspaper to have their opinion confirmed rather than read facts that conflict with them.

Shame really and the internet has made it an order of magnitude worse than 30 years ago because the speed of transfer and total lack of any control of veracity on social media.

IMO all social media should comply with the same laws other publishers.
I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I used to buy a paper every day. Usually The Times, but occasionally The Telegraph and Guardian just to get perspective.

People don't understand that with the Internet / social media 'birds of a feather flock together'.
So people go onto sites that just reinforce their viewpoint. They then think they are right and everyone else is wrong (eg Brexit).
In reality very few things are black and white......thet are usually shades of grey, which are also dynamic and change over time.

When anyone comes to me with a strongly biased view and are not willing to look outside of that perspective, it signals a somewhat lack of intelligence to me.

Problem is, as you say it's rife nowadays, and EVs seem to be a major target.

Not surprising the Flat Earth Society and other conspiracy theories are booming.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

IMO all social media should comply with the same laws other publishers.
Given the light speed spread of misinformation, and the near light speed way to generate it with AI nowadays, I think this will become a key existential issue for human kind. We either evolve to live in this new world, or we all die - literally, I'm talking annihilation of the species or even all life on Earth (e.g. nuclear world war). I have been watching my kids who grew up around this technology and they are a lot more critical thinking and not falling for social media fads like people my age or my parents' crowd. I just hope my kids are not an exception, but a natural evolution of having grown up in the age of digital misinformation, algorithmic echo chambers, and fake-news dissemination natural selection. 🤞

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
a lot of the anti EV propaganda has surfaced recently because in MY opinion the leftists and their sycophants in the media are raining hate down on Musk because he is very anti progressive/woke. Musk is EVs and destroying the EV is akin to destroying Musk.
Neh, you are conflating anti-Tesla vs. anti-EV sentiments, which are not the same thing anymore.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Government stepping in to provide reliable information?

Biggest joke of the year 😁

People don't like change. What the govt need to do is stop mucking about with deadlines, and stop the charging networks price gouging on public chargers.

From there, let the market sort itself.

There'll always be people moaning about the change. We can try and educate, but if they don't want to listen, that's fair enough. Their loss.

It's not hard to see why the Luddites thing happened a couple of centuries ago.
People need to see the advantage for themselves, not be forced by a government regulation. The latter actually causes people to dig their heels in even more. EV manufacturers need to step up their game, make the product more attractive to an average consumer than ICE cars. ICE cars themselves had competition from horses, steam cars, etc. People started buying ICE cars after Ford made them affordable and plainly better. Tesla seems to be doing a similar thing - so far most people who buy Teslas don't buy them because they are forced by the government regulations. Model Y was the most popular car sold in Q1 2023, worldwide not because people didn't have ICE choices.

This will go similar way of incandescent light bulbs vs. LED's. Yes there are applications where incandescent bulbs are better, and some hold-outs to this day hoard their incandescent bulbs because US government banned manufacturing and sale of a lot of them, but most people have moved on and are happy using LEDs. It did take some time and LED prices needed to come down, same will be true for EV's.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Neh, you are conflating anti-Tesla vs. anti-EV sentiments, which are not the same thing anymore.
Certainly not here in the UK where Tesla isn’t much of a controversial subject compared to EVs in general.

It is a right wing press led disinformation spread here and so strong now the government is abandoning a lot of green initiatives because they think it is a vote winner.

Theyhaven’t got anywhere near providing the promised infrastructure for EVs and have granted new fossil fuel drilling licenses.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have to disagree, musk and tesla are the champions of the EV movement.
While they are one of the market leaders, EV's are no longer synonymous with Tesla. Hey, check out what forum we are on. Tesla had 17% of the global EV sales in Q3 2023 (some more data here) - while that is one of the highest market shares for EV's, by no means are they the entire market. Even in the USA, where they captured a whopping 55% of 2023 EV sales (other market leaders are kept out by government regulation), they are no longer in the high 90's they used to be.

gramorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I was surprised this morning to see GB News reproducing a piece of Andersen PR that ev drivers save £1200 per year over ICE drivers when they charge at home. Strangely balanced. The comments however….. I’m apparently going to lose my house to an EV fire 😂

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just another thing on my post above about people who seek to reinforce their bias by finding like minded people.

And I will use Brexit as my example here (either side).....

I noticed part of the need to prove they are right and the opposite viewpoint is wrong, they seek to belittle the other party with labels.

Suddenly you had 'remoaners' and 'Brexit morons' then 'snowflake remoaners' and 'gammon Little Englanders' etc.

This also helps people confirm their opinion of them being correct and superior, while the other side are stupid and can't see the obvious.

I tend to avoid conversations with these people.
As someone once said - 'Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience'
✌

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
And (sorry) .....

I also think a lot of people work in binary.
They need to put things into one of 2 boxes in their mind:

Good or Bad

They don't have an 'undecided' box.

Even if they have fk all knowledge of something, they will want to pigeonhole it.
And unless there is any evidence to the contrary, these people always put it in the 'bad' pile. 🤣

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
While they are one of the market leaders, EV's are no longer synonymous with Tesla. Hey, check out what forum we are on. Tesla had 17% of the global EV sales in Q3 2023 (some more data here) - while that is one of the highest market shares for EV's, by no means are they the entire market. Even in the USA, where they captured a whopping 55% of 2023 EV sales (other market leaders are kept out by government regulation), they are no longer in the high 90's they used to be.
Many brands sell Evs but If you look at who makes money out of them story is quite different. Tesla’s market share in “profitable EVs” would be more than 70-80%. #2 producer of EVs in the us, GM, losing a TON of money in each EV they deliver and could not be happier if EV trend went down the drain. Ford is not any better. Kort has a point. Right wing media has always been anti-EV, but left wing was balancing that. Sometime over-the last year left wing changed their position on EVs once they realized the brand that is really benefiting from EV movement is Tesla.
Sponsored

Last edited: