Anyone regret going from 20s to 21s?

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 Carrera, 97 Carrera S, 21 Carrera 4S, 21 Rover
Country flag
I love the way my 2020 Turbo looks and drives. Every now and then I wish I had 21s but I’m inclined to leave well enough alone and not mess with the car. Anyone gone from 20s to 21s and regretted it?

Porsche Taycan Anyone regret going from 20s to 21s? IMG_0844
Sponsored

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I'm very happy moving from 21 to 20 but everybody is different. If you do not care about noise then yes go for it. The comfort is noticeably better with 20 on rough roads. Look-wise, nothing beats the 21.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I get that feeling from time to time, but I know our roads in WA are not suited for low profile tires. A recent encounter with a very well hidden pothole got me to pull over to check my 20" tires. They were ok, but I am almost certain if I had 21" tires I would have been calling a tow truck.

Dilpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
I got 20s for winter season and the noice is noticeable every time I change the tires, though my 20s are also using much newer and more quiet tires, nokia R5 EV vs pirelli pzero. Will have to see how much the noice change is after I update the pirellis to something more quiet.

For ride comfort I havent seen that much change, though the roads I drive tend to be in good shape.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I have 21 summer wheels with the Goodyear whatever comes from the factory and 20 winters that are pirelli NF0 rated. Noise is more dependent on the surface than the difference in tyres, but I would say the 20s are slightly noiser ( and I have the thermal insulated glass ).

However the ride comfort is definitely better on the 20s. With the 21s its good for what it is, and the air suspension probably helps a lot here, but it improves with the 20s no doubt.

Not as big difference as on my BMW when we go from 19” summer to 17” winter. Those 19s on the BMW should be thrown in the skip.

Driverbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Saab x 2, VW beetle
Country flag
I have 20" summer michelins and 20" winter pirelli. The michelins seem quieter but then I suspect all summer tyres would be quieter than winter of the same size. No real difference in ride comfort on the rwd with air suspension.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I have 20" summer michelins and 20" winter pirelli. The michelins seem quieter but then I suspect all summer tyres would be quieter than winter of the same size. No real difference in ride comfort on the rwd with air suspension.
I have 20" factory Conti all-seasons and 20" Goodyear winters, both NF0 on Porsche OEM wheels. Winters have more noise and vibration I can feel through the steering wheel.

PS> My winters also have noticably better traction in the wet. The factory Conti ProContact RX are not great on wet. When I need new tires, not planning to buy them again. From time to time I am considering whether I should dispose of them early and get better 3 season tires.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
My Cross Turismo came with the 20" Taycan Turbo aero wheels with Pirelli P7 all-seasons. Last year, I purchased a set of forged 21" Signature Wheels in a Y spoke design with summer only tires. The Signature Wheels are light and well made. With the tire/wheel combination, two of them only required one 1/4 oz weight to balance and the other wheels needed only two 1/4 oz weights to balance. My OEM wheels have a lot, lot more balancing weights than that...

I like the looks of the 21" wheels more, but experience a drop of about 10% in range, due to the Y spoke design and summer tires. I was already expecting this, as I experienced about the same drop in range with the Tesla Model 3 Performance when I did a similar swap. There was also a slight decrease in ride comfort, but this is easily offset by the increase in handling and road feel. I know it's not a fair comparison, as the 20" wheels have all-season tires and the 21" wheels have summer only tires.

I will say the OEM 20" Taycan Turbo wheels are much easier and faster to clean than the open Y spoke wheel.

I am actually happy with having all-seasons on a set of 20" wheels and a set of 21" wheels with summer only tires.

bihus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don't forget to take into consideration that you can have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 NF0 for 20"s, but not for 21"s. Just a combination of non-N rated fronts and 911 or Tesla rears PS4S.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I love the way my 2020 Turbo looks and drives. Every now and then I wish I had 21s but I’m inclined to leave well enough alone and not mess with the car. Anyone gone from 20s to 21s and regretted it?

IMG_0844.jpeg
I had these 20" on my 4S and I have 21" RS Spyders on my GTS. TBH I don't notice a massive difference which pays tribute to Porsche suspension in terms of comfort or noise - the chassis is tuned for it. Only thing to be wary off is the greater risk of kerbing / damage from pot holes as you have less tyre wall.

I wouldn't hesitate to go 21".

PoorShah

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS, 64 Chevelle SS, BMW 7LI, X-Plaid
Country flag
In the last 20 years, we haven't had a wheel less than 21". We have/had an EQS, 7Li, Rivian, X-Plaid.

Anything less than 21" on these cars just doesn't look as nice as they were meant to look. And in the past 20 years, suspension systems have improved dramatically that you don't even tell the different between the two.

I take that back, the Tesla seems to feel every bump on the road no matter if it's 21 or 20. Tesla needs another 10 years before they get their build quality right.