SS64

First Name
Subodh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc E350d
Country flag
Sorry I have no idea. I just know that part of the OVO Charge Anytime app setup process is that you confirm on a map your home address where the charger is situated. As the app has access to your cars location through your My Porsche account I just assumed it was part of the checking process when charging that you should get a credit. I presume the car also confirms to OVO that it is charging so that you cannot charge another car on your drive.
Hello. Looks like OVO is a good option. I am already on simpler energy with ovo. I tried to go on to the EV charge anytime. However told that can’t get as we have solar panels at home. Anyone knows a EV tariff that is ok with solar panels. We have a Hypervolt home charger. Thanks
Sponsored

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Ok, so took the leap of faith and just done my switch from octopus. Says I’ll be transferred over to the simpler tariff in 2 days which seems super quick! I’ve set up my account already.

So, next steps Qs based on shared experiences? Once I’ve switched I should be able to move to charge anytime on the app fairly quickly, yes?

Presume once on the charge anytime setting the car up is fairly easy? Take it there a guide on what I should be doing?

Also, internal smart meter on the website looks the same as the one octopus use? Can this be re used or do you need a new smart meter display gadget?

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I've just completed the switch from Octopus Intelligent to OVO and added Charge Anytime. Process was easy, sad to let down Octopus as they do everything so well - but the 40p higher rate offsets the 10p rate too much and getting the wife to unload the washing machine at 3am was proving problematic...
Haven't done a charge yet and have a long trip to Wales tomorrow so hope it all works tonight :rolleyes:

In my estimation the charging rate is pretty much the same as Octopus but you don't get a 25% penalty on all the other electricity usage, so will reduce total cost and inconvenience I think.
How are you finding it? Like you said, sad to leave octopus but 45p day rate and 12p off peak for 4 hours just not competitive any more! Interested to know how you got on and if you got it working quickly?

JasMK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 435d
Country flag
How are you finding it? Like you said, sad to leave octopus but 45p day rate and 12p off peak for 4 hours just not competitive any more! Interested to know how you got on and if you got it working quickly?
Yea, it was all working in 2 days and the charging has been easy. Made one mistake with settings on the Charge Anytime app and went to 100% instead of 85% because it seems to take over from the Porsche settings. But certainly seems easy. Haven’t done actual bill analysis yet but it’s bound to be cheaper, and it’s a little less stressful then hoping the charge you need happens when you’re asleep!

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
I switched to OVO Energy and ChargeAnytime a few weeks ago and have now completed several charges using the ChargeAnytime app. I continue to see a discrepancy between the number of KWh that get the ChargeAnytime rate and the number of KWh my home energy monitors report have been delivered to the car. It almost looks as if ChargeAnytime is simply using the state of charge delta reported by the car during charging rather than using the actual energy delivered thereby ignoring any charging losses.

If you are successfully using OVO ChargeAnytime, can you confirm that you are receiving the ChargeAnytime rate for the actual energy delivered to the car including any charging losses?

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I switched to OVO Energy and ChargeAnytime a few weeks ago and have now completed several charges using the ChargeAnytime app. I continue to see a discrepancy between the number of KWh that get the ChargeAnytime rate and the number of KWh my home energy monitors report have been delivered to the car. It almost looks as if ChargeAnytime is simply using the state of charge delta reported by the car during charging rather than using the actual energy delivered thereby ignoring any charging losses.

If you are successfully using OVO ChargeAnytime, can you confirm that you are receiving the ChargeAnytime rate for the actual energy delivered to the car including any charging losses?
You are correct the only way OVO can work out how much energy was used for a charge is to calculate it from the start and finish soc. So there will be a small discrepancy. When you first plug in the car it will often start charging and it takes a minute or two or more for the App to recognise the car is plugged in and start the measurements. Equally can you be sure your home energy monitors are 100% accurate? I assume you are measure the energy going through the cable to the charger?
I only have a simple in home display so I cannot work out how accurate the Charge Anytime App is in calculating kwh consumed but I do a really rough calculation first thing in the morning to compare the discount shown in the App since midnight with the cost shown on the IHD since midnight, less about £1.60 for my usual overnight domestic consumption and check the discount is about 2/3rds of that. Sometimes I get very scientific and use 22.59/32.59 as the multiplier 🤣
At the end of the month I'm just pleased to see a discount of £70 -£80 😃

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
Hmm, ok. I guess I hadn’t thought this through properly!

I kind of assumed that because OVO wanted a SmartMeter which logs consumption every 1/2hr for ChargeAnytime, this information would somehow be factored into the calculation. Of course, it can’t be used because the non EVSE consumption can’t be determined.

My home energy monitor has two calibrated CT current sensors, one on the house supply and one on the EVSE supply. These log consumption every 5 seconds, so I can see exactly how much energy is used to charge the car. I’m in the process of checking the calibration of these sensors over a 24hrs period.

I’m currently seeing a 20% difference in measured EV charging consumption vs ChargeAnywhere‘s reported consumption. This seems a bit high but may represent an oldish EVSE and longish, thinnish wiring. I’m about to have both the EVSE and wiring replaced, so will see if the losses improve.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Hmm, ok. I guess I hadn’t thought this through properly!

I kind of assumed that because OVO wanted a SmartMeter which logs consumption every 1/2hr for ChargeAnytime, this information would somehow be factored into the calculation. Of course, it can’t be used because the non EVSE consumption can’t be determined.

My home energy monitor has two calibrated CT current sensors, one on the house supply and one on the EVSE supply. These log consumption every 5 seconds, so I can see exactly how much energy is used to charge the car. I’m in the process of checking the calibration of these sensors over a 24hrs period.

I’m currently seeing a 20% difference in measured EV charging consumption vs ChargeAnywhere‘s reported consumption. This seems a bit high but may represent an oldish EVSE and longish, thinnish wiring. I’m about to have both the EVSE and wiring replaced, so will see if the losses improve.
Can you measure the live charge rate through the cable to the evse and compare to the charge rate shown in the car. For example my car usually displays a charge rate of 6.8kwh to 6.9kwh when I first plug in at home and soc is below about 70%. I've read that +/- 10% can be lost through cables and evse so if your car or My Porsche App is showing 6.7kwh then evse could be pulling +/- 7.4kwh

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
....another thing to check is the min soc you have set in the Charge Anytime App. Mine is set at 5% Remember any charging upto the min soc is at full price so if min set at 25% and you plug in at 15% you will not get the discount of the first 10% increase in soc.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
....another thing to check is the min soc you have set in the Charge Anytime App. Mine is set at 5% Remember any charging upto the min soc is at full price so if min set at 25% and you plug in at 15% you will not get the discount of the first 10% increase in soc.
I’ve done this too. Thought it was a no brainier. Why would anyone want to pay standardmy biggest and only gripe is I can no longer automatically pre-heat my car in the morning. Not a huge deal but I can manually do it if I remember.

from what I remember reading they work some EVSE otherwise need to login to your my Porsche. If you’re able to use the EVSE I suspect it would read higher savings

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Can you set it to 0% ? Belows only happened once or twice but may aswell set to zero and avoid paying extra if I do return very low!

Porsche Taycan Best electricity tariff for EV switching today 5341022C-D34C-4305-9FE3-26C854022568

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Yes, not being able to pre heat is a pain, particularlywhen it is -7°c outside. I now change the timer manually last thing at night to add pre conditioning but that more often that not gets overriden by a new timer sent by the Charge Anytime App.... then I check the timer first thing in the morning and either add pre conditioning again or if I'm within an hour of departure just switch it on manually.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Can you set it to 0% ? Belows only happened once or twice but may aswell set to zero and avoid paying extra if I do return very low!

5341022C-D34C-4305-9FE3-26C854022568.jpeg
Yes l, it goes down to 0 but it may not charge immediately as it may wait for a low demand time to start. I think you can overcome that by setting a ready by time such that it needs to start charging straight away.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
My switch has happened this morning. I’ve been asked to submit a meter reading so will do this shortly. I take it my 4 hours octopus this morning 1230-430 would have been at ovos 35p rate? And it doesn’t official start when I submit a reading? Ovo App not doing anything yet. Need to get on anytime quickly as battery only half full and don’t fancy paying 35p for too long! In house smart meter showing 0.67p so hasnt registered any charge ( car has charged though)

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Yes l, it goes down to 0 but it may not charge immediately as it may wait for a low demand time to start. I think you can overcome that by setting a ready by time such that it needs to start charging straight away.
Super, yes I charge to 100% every day as it’s my work car and need the range just incase I have to travel somewhere. I have the small battery so circa 160 miles range in winter means 80-85% just doesn’t cut it! Im thinking set to zero and and would like the car ready for 630am most days just in case I have an early start.
Sponsored