Brake lights during recuperation?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
On our Taycans, when recuperation is active and you lift off the accelerator, do the brake lights come on or do you have to actually have to depress the brake pedal to get brake lights?
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
On our Taycans, when recuperation is active and you lift off the accelerator, do the brake lights come on or do you have to actually have to depress the brake pedal to get brake lights?
There was a lengthy debate on this a week or so ago. Tl;dr: probably not. Auto regen might.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Turn radios on/have a phone call going on. And please share the findings, curious forum-goers want to know.

I'd seen at most .2g with auto-regen on, and never more than .1 with plain-regen. Both seem to be below the NHTSA-mandated threshold for a brake signal.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I've also wondered about that. Too bad you cannot just turn on the backup camera and see the glare when it's dark out, or see the brake lights light up on the car representation on the dash/ic, like you can in Teslas. It seems like a useful information for a car. Note that Taycan 3D view does show brake lights light up, but it cannot be enabled while driving above some low speed threshold.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No they won't.

I can see many scenarios where this would be confusing for drivers following behind.

No different to overrun braking in an ICE vehicle.

Brake pedal usage required.

Brake lights active during HOLD and no foot on the pedal.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
No they won't.

I can see many scenarios where this would be confusing for drivers following behind.

No different to overrun braking in an ICE vehicle.

Brake pedal usage required.

Brake lights active during HOLD and no foot on the pedal.
Teslas do it. On Teslas, the brake lights don’t come on as soon as you lift though, only if the deceleration reaches certain threshold.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
They definitely should come on once the rate of deceleration exceeds the mandated (by UN regs) level of around 2mph per second

regs-
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/regenerative-braking-setting.15633/post-239250

EDIT- I've just checked the video below and it doesn't provide evidence- it turns out I misheard the instructor, he didn't say not using brake pedal, he said not using brake pads.
The recent PECLA POV thread video demonstrates lights coming on under lift-off.

at around 20:40 of posted video-
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-pov-at-pecla-track.15743/

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
They definitely should come on once the rate of deceleration exceeds the mandated (by UN regs) level of around 2mph per second

regs-
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/regenerative-braking-setting.15633/post-239250

EDIT- I've just checked the video below and it doesn't provide evidence- it turns out I misheard the instructor, he didn't say not using brake pedal, he said not using brake pads.
The recent PECLA POV thread video demonstrates lights coming on under lift-off.

at around 20:40 of posted video-
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-pov-at-pecla-track.15743/
You can't control the rate in the Taycan without resorting to the brake pedal. Drive Mode selected will also have an impact - Sport Plus affording more deceleration ... not much call for that on the school run however.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
You can't control the rate in the Taycan without resorting to the brake pedal. Drive Mode selected will also have an impact - Sport Plus affording more deceleration ... not much call for that on the school run however.
Indeed. But the rate of lift-off deceleration varies with speed- even without regen, I'd guess that rolling resistance (aero drag, tyres etc.) could be enough to trigger the brake lights at motorway speeds.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Indeed. But the rate of lift-off deceleration varies with speed- even without regen, I'd guess that rolling resistance (aero drag, tyres etc.) could be enough to trigger the brake lights at motorway speeds.
I doubt that any brake lights will come on by lifting off even at very high speeds without any regen. And the deceleration is not high at that stage.

I tried Vmax on the German Autobahn and just let the car coast from 255 km/h and did not feel anything different from rolling along in an ICE car in Neutral.

The observation in the video that there would be such a strong regen in SportPlus mode is news to me. On the Autobahn that could be handy!

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
No one pedal driving so no brake lights when you lift off the accelerator pedal. Acceleration pedal Regen (recoup, whatever) is enabled to mimic ICE engine braking and you don’t get brake lights when you use engine braking or downshift on an ICE vehicle. Porsche has been very clear that the Taycan does not have one pedal driving so it stands to reason the recoup force programmed in will not cross the regulatory threshold to trigger brake lights.

However, a significant portion of your braking is done through the electric motors (recoup) when you are using the brake pedal so you get brake lights.
Sponsored