"California Bill Would Electronically Cap Vehicle Speed to 10 MPH Over Limit" - Article

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This will never pass, and is probably one of the dumbest bills to be proposed in a long while. Aside from just obvious reasons, there's so many caveats why this would never work and would instead be potentially dangerous for everyone involved...
California Senate Passes Bill Requiring Passive Speed Limiters

California Senate Bill 961 (SB 961) was passed by a 22-13 vote this week requiring that 50 percent of new vehicles manufactured or sold in California must have passive speed limiters installed by 2029. By 2032, that percentage increases to 100 percent.

A passive speed limiter is a system that warns drivers with audible and visual signals when their speed exceeds the posted speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour. SB 961 applies to all trucks, buses and passenger vehicles manufactured or sold in the state. Emergency vehicles are exempt from the passive speed limiter requirement.

“California, like the nation as a whole, is seeing a horrifying spike in traffic deaths, with thousands of drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians dying each year on our roads,” said Senator Scott Wiener who put forth the bill. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety’s (OTS) 2023 Traffic Safety Report, one third of all traffic fatalities in the state between 2017 and 2021 were speeding-related.

This bill must now pass the Assembly by August 31. If it is passed and becomes law, it will make California the first state in the nation with a passive speed limiter requirement. However, they will not be the first government in the world to do so. Similar systems will be required in all vehicles sold in the EU beginning July of this year. Even here in the U.S., both the National Transportation Safety Board and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety have recommended a federal passive speed limiter requirement be implemented.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
"A passive speed limiter is a system that warns drivers with audible and visual signals when their speed exceeds the posted speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour."

The proposed bill is for a passive speed warning, not a speed limiter. You can still exceed 10 mph over the limit you will just have to listen to the car beep at you and display a warning. Still stupid, but not a speed limiter.

Can you imagine merging onto a 65 mph highway, where everyone, including the semi in your side view mirror, is doing 75 and you are capped at 75? What is your option other than to slow down, pick a spot and merge at a speed below the flow of traffic. I can see more harm than good from a hard cap on speeds.

Last edited:

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
A passive speed limiter is a system that warns drivers with audible and visual signals when their speed exceeds the posted speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour.
FWIW these were mandatory in all cars in a Middle Eastern country I used to live in. As soon as our brand new, made-in-USA-but-takes-regular-leaded-gasoline-company-issued Chevrolet Lumina exceeded 120 kph, the dashboard made a very loud and constant beep. I chose not to disable it, but I heard through the grapevine that some of my co-workers did.

Also, the beep only started at 120 kph, e.g. it wasn't related to being above a posted speed limit.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
"A passive speed limiter is a system that warns drivers with audible and visual signals when their speed exceeds the posted speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour."

The proposed bill is for a passive speed warning, not a speed limiter. You can still exceed 10 mph over the limit you will just have to listen to the car beep at you and display a warning. Still stupid, but not a speed limiter.

Correct.

But the warning occurs each time the speed limit plus 10 mph threshold is exceeded.
Oh, California . . . :facepalm:

SECTION 1. Article 19 (commencing with Section 28170) is added to Chapter 5 of Division 12 of the Vehicle Code, to read:
Article 19. Speed Assistance Technology
28170. (a) As used in this article, “passive intelligent speed assistance system” means an integrated vehicle system that uses, at minimum, the GPS location of the vehicle compared with a database of posted speed limits, to determine the speed limit, and utilizes a brief, one-time visual and audio signal to alert the driver each time they exceed the speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour.
(b) If an intelligent speed assistance system receives conflicting speed limits for the same area, the system shall utilize the higher speed limit.
28171. (a) Commencing with the 2029 model year, 50 percent of passenger vehicles, motortrucks, and buses manufactured or sold in the state shall be equipped with a passive intelligent speed assistance system.
(b) Commencing with the 2032 model year, every passenger vehicle, motortruck, and bus manufactured or sold in the state shall be equipped with a passive intelligent speed assistance system.
(c) A passive intelligent speed assistance system shall be capable of being fully disabled by the manufacturer or a franchisee, but only as provided in Section 28172.
28172. (a)Section 28171 does not apply to any vehicle sold as an authorized emergency vehicle.
https://legiscan.com/CA/text/SB961/2023

Reactions: gtm

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Correct.

But the warning occurs each time the speed limit plus 10 mph threshold is exceeded.
Oh, California . . . :facepalm:
So pretty much constantly. Just going with the flow of traffic you drift over and under the 10 mph threshold and get beeped at again and again. Not too annoying while accomplishing not much.

jcroix

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

Can you imagine merging onto a 65 mph highway, where everyone, including the semi in your side view mirror, is doing 75 and you are capped at 75? What is your option other than to slow down, pick a spot and merge at a speed below the flow of traffic. I can see more harm than good from a hard cap on speeds.
Have you ever had to drive a U-Haul truck? Somehow I always seem to get the one with the speed limiter on it. And you’re right - not being able to accelerate in certain circumstances can be very stressful.

dstepin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan RWD
Country flag
I guess I misread the original bill that it's meant to be passive, still though. A lot of new cars do already have this feature, you can just turn it off. I'm hoping they will just let you turn it off in the newer cars as well, because as mentioned... merging on to any freeway you are gonna be going 75-80 instantly or else you're going to be rammed just on the merge. Sometimes I wonder if people who propose and vote for these laws think long term what this will do, because it won't get people to slow down and those who own cars manufactured before won't care and won't slow down.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I guess I misread the original bill that it's meant to be passive, still though. A lot of new cars do already have this feature, you can just turn it off. I'm hoping they will just let you turn it off in the newer cars as well, because as mentioned... merging on to any freeway you are gonna be going 75-80 instantly or else you're going to be rammed just on the merge. Sometimes I wonder if people who propose and vote for these laws think long term what this will do, because it won't get people to slow down and those who own cars manufactured before won't care and won't slow down.
The text of the California bill in post #20 above does not provide for "turning it off" except specifically for emergency vehicles.

MrJones02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Starting next month, all new cars sold in Europe must have "something" that alerts the driver when they are over the speedlimit. The manufacturer can choose from a visual alert, a sound alert etc, or even that you cant go faster (seems dangerous).

I guess manufacturers will allow you to choose the alert you "want" (next to the visual alert, that one is mandatory), if they force a sound alert that would be a reason not to buy one of their cars :)
Maybe they'll make it easy to code out with one of those odb dongles.

Will use a combination of GPS data and traffic-sign recognition ... the speedlimit info in my Taycan is often wrong. Ive seen it pulsating in red when going over the speedlimit, but thats about it.
Sponsored