Wattsjr9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with this vehicle? I’m considering getting out of my Taycan. Need more room, etc. Thanks!
Sponsored

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had one before my Taycan. For me, the power delivery with the ehybrid motor was less than impressive. I oftentimes found myself putting the pedal to the floor just to get the gas engine to kick in with some real power, because the e-motor was meh.

If I went back to a Cayenne coupe, it would be a GTS or a Turbo. Not the e-hybrid.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
we love our 2021 TurboS eHybrid Cayenne - it's different however than driving a full BEV - but we get 800 to 1500 miles per- tank of gas - because we charge at home often - for daily chores it's great, very low gas uaage, but good for road trips

it's "EV" performance will impress no one - but it's combination of EV+Gas motor is seamless, powerful

it's really a question of what aspect of the hybrid are you interested in?

I prefer the Hybrid to a pure-gas Cayenne - and love the fact that I can make short trips with out the ICE motor - but it's EV-only performance is limited in range and power - but more than sufficient for normal residential driving duties.

DJBlack

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Cayenne Coupe, Taycan GTS on order
Country flag
I had an E-Hyrbid Coupe from new in 2021 and never really fell in love with it….

for me it was “too big”, was a pain to park in certain car parks and tight narrow roads, I was extremely worried when I drove it as I was always fearful of scratching the wheels (which I did a few times). I also didn’t opt for air suspension and found the ride slightly strange on certain roads with undulations, it wasn’t too firm it just squirmed around slightly.

As above, I wasn’t massively keen on the power delivery either, in EV mode it was extremely slow and goes through the gears the same way the petrol engine did, in sport mode it was ok but I still felt it lacked grunt. For this reason I tended to drive the car in sport mode nearly all the time where it achieved 18mpg.

One thing the car did do, was educate me that if I can drive around in electric mode most days, that I would be absolutely fine with a Taycan as a full EV, when I test drove the Taycan I was instantly sold based on how it drives like a high performance “car”, which is not an experience you get in any SUV (i always describe it as being “in” a car, and “on” an SUV.

The Macan on the other hand drives like a large VW Golf GTi and is much more appealing.

If you are in need of a Cayenne sized car, then I would go for the new “S” which is a V8, or a Turbo.

Porsche Taycan Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe IMG_3568

Porsche Taycan Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe IMG_3573

Porsche Taycan Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe IMG_3569

DJBlack

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Cayenne Coupe, Taycan GTS on order
Country flag
Also, I have heard lots of stories about the Cayenne Hybrid needing lots of injector replacements due to the way the engine springs in and out of life, so I would make sure you buy one with a warranty

OP
OP

Wattsjr9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I had one before my Taycan. For me, the power delivery with the ehybrid motor was less than impressive. I oftentimes found myself putting the pedal to the floor just to get the gas engine to kick in with some real power, because the e-motor was meh.

If I went back to a Cayenne coupe, it would be a GTS or a Turbo. Not the e-hybrid.
Thanks. Very helpful. I may reconsider, but probably not before testing out the 2024, which I understand to much improved over the earlier models.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks. Very helpful. I may reconsider, but probably not before testing out the 2024, which I understand to much improved over the earlier models.
Yeah definitely try one out. If you're someone who doesn't care about the torque and power, you may be okay with it. I only got around 25-30 miles on a charge, so there's also that. If you're hoping to have this as an EV for longer trips, that'll be a no go. It'll work for short trips to the store and what not though.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
our TurboS ehybrid has tons of power when using both motors - and EV only mode is adequate for non high ways - surface streets with traffic lights and normal congestion. the EV only mode is more than enough - air suspension for the win also a must have - rear wheel steering also improves the tight parking lots navigation

but i prefer the Taycan and EV drive trains in general - our hybrid is a place holder until there is a full EV cayenne

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BMW iX M60 should be considered if it’s purely a space issue but you still like EV’s

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no matter how much I like my 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid it's done nothing to convince me to "go back" to Petrol - the instant and available torque/power of an excellent EV drive train is light years better than _ANY_ ICE motor when you're cruising at 80 mph in 8th gear and want to overtake - mechanical latencies can simply not compete with the "always on" characteristics of an EV drive train - my 2020 Taycan Turbo NEVER had _ANY_ lag and neither did any of my Tesla's or even my Chevy Bolt…

for us the Hybrid is simple an acceptable alternative while we wait for an acceptable Cayenne class SUV/EV - and it fits the bill of reducing our gasoline usage in that the Cayenne with in it's limited EV only power/range fits the bill for most of the "daily chores"…

today for example it easily handled our 18 miles round trip to get: bread, groceries, coffee, and fresh strawberries from the side of the road in Watsonville, CA - I left with a full tank of gas an came home with a full tank of gas and 30% left on the battery (which is now charging) - and the ICE motor never started or was needed - this included some 30 mph two lane roads, some 60-80 mph Hwy 1 north/south between Santa Cruz, CA and Watsonville, CA - and some coasting down hill using neither gas or EV power since it's all down hill and you only lightly ride the brake for speed control.

The Cayenne is comfortable, spacious and with air supension rides really really well. And while there is lag, horrible horrible lag if your metric is EV drive trains which mine is - should you decide to fire up the ICE motor - and give it a few seconds to down shift and more seconds to let the turbo's spin up - it has a glorious amount of power once it's all "online" - almost as good as my Taycan Turbo once it's all spun up - but it's about 15-20 seconds late to the party vs an excellent EV drive train - unless you drive around in sports plus all the time in the lowest gear possible…

what I found with a Hybrid is what I expected - I always want just a bit more "range" - and it seems ashame to haul around the ICE motor when I don't really want to run it all that often - what I really really want isn't yet made - which is a full Cayenne BEV with about 300 miles range an similar volume/capacities for interior space, and performance equal to or superior to Taycan…but that product does not yet exist - so the Cayenne fits the bill while we wait for the evolution of the industry offerings.

I will NOT trade my Cayenne Hybrid for a "lesser" EV - but I will have no remorse when an equivalent EV/SUV is available for purchase…for daily use for me personally there is nothing better than a quality high-performance EV drive train. I look forward to 2026/2027 for a Cayenne EV and have high hopes…and that's just about when my CPO 2021 Cayenne will be coming out of warranty…

The BMW iX M60 is a close fit for replacing the Cayenne Hybrid - but it's not quite as "fast" as the Cayenne and myself and my wife simply can not get over the cosmetics/styling of the vehicle being a huge miss for us personally. Having driven it however for about 4 hours a few moths back it is a serious EV/SUV and more than acceptable as a quality BEV/SUV for equivalent and typical SUV duties. I came really really close to swapping the Cayenne Hybrid for it - but a few things held me back:
  • external styling is a huge miss for me personally - YMMV
  • interior styling at the time only offered gold/bronze "finish/trim" - another huge miss for me personally
  • might as well wait for the NACS version
  • max/optimal charing speed is more than sufficient but lacking top rated ability
  • my Cayenne is fuss-free and under warranty until 2027 due to some early mechanical issues that Porsche had to resolve and I extracted accommodations given the early complexities of ownership of this particular vehicle…
but it came close as a suitable full EV alternative to the Cayenne which I'm super super excited to eventually adopt.

* - no matter how much a Hybrid is a "compromise" vs. a full BEV - I will admit it gives me no end of pleasure when seemly magically the vehicle can run for "miles" even on empty battery with the ICE motor completely shut down - I often drive to/from Santa Cruz to Silly-con Valley - which requires going over a modest pass (Hwy 17 north/south) where about 1/2 the journey is uphill followed by downhill segment - the Cayenne hybrid is simply brilliant on the downhill segments with it harvesting battery power with the ICE motor shut down and simply gliding downhill and yet AC is running, power steering, and all the accessories running and fully functional even though the ICE motor is "offline" - what most people don't realize is that Prosche has made the Cayenne basically a full EV - in that with the ICE motor shutdown it still needs to fully function - so everything "works" even with the ICE motor off - so it's a no compromise vehicle when running on pure EV - the only draw back to the EV only mode is the limited power and range - the vehicle is fully functional in every other way…and it brings a smile to my face everything it seems to pull magic power out of thin air even with the battery empty it can shut down the ICE motor and simply glide/function in EV mode with no downside…

** - auto-start/stop is simply brilliant and not an issue with a Hybrid such as the Cayenne - the seamless-ness with which it blends ICE power w/EV power will shock and delight any owner - there is simply no apparent transition with the EV/ICE powering being masterfully blended such that it "just works" - few if any friends/familiy and other "car people" have been unimpressed with the "hybrid" power blending - 99% are simply amazed and impressed when encountering it…

*** - the vehicle's ability to run "on empty" battery even when he battery is at zero % indicated on dash - the car will shut down the ICE motor and simply run on "nothing" at the drop of a hat and it works aggressively to optimize and recycle kinetic energy into usable range/motion/power - the vehicle and prossche's software is a master of optimization for range/power and even on long 350 miles stints and a 550+ HP V8 turbo I often achieve 28 mph or better - even though most of the trip the battery was "empty" - it finds every opportunity to harvest power and extend range and I've come away impressed after owning it since April of 2021…

all in all it's a great alternative vs going pure-ICE - but I will not have any remorse once I can get back into a full BEV/SUV when an appropriate product is presented to the market place. Until then there is no BEV/SUV that is better than than my Cayenne Hybrid - but the simple fact of it being a Hybrid means it's not as good as a full BEV…at least for me personally.

as with all things YMMV…

OP
OP

Wattsjr9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I had an E-Hyrbid Coupe from new in 2021 and never really fell in love with it….

for me it was “too big”, was a pain to park in certain car parks and tight narrow roads, I was extremely worried when I drove it as I was always fearful of scratching the wheels (which I did a few times). I also didn’t opt for air suspension and found the ride slightly strange on certain roads with undulations, it wasn’t too firm it just squirmed around slightly.

As above, I wasn’t massively keen on the power delivery either, in EV mode it was extremely slow and goes through the gears the same way the petrol engine did, in sport mode it was ok but I still felt it lacked grunt. For this reason I tended to drive the car in sport mode nearly all the time where it achieved 18mpg.

One thing the car did do, was educate me that if I can drive around in electric mode most days, that I would be absolutely fine with a Taycan as a full EV, when I test drove the Taycan I was instantly sold based on how it drives like a high performance “car”, which is not an experience you get in any SUV (i always describe it as being “in” a car, and “on” an SUV.

The Macan on the other hand drives like a large VW Golf GTi and is much more appealing.

If you are in need of a Cayenne sized car, then I would go for the new “S” which is a V8, or a Turbo.

IMG_3568.jpeg

IMG_3573.jpeg

IMG_3569.jpeg
Thanks. That’s a beautiful car. I do need a somewhat bigger car with more range. When you compare the Taycan and Cayenne, the ex
no matter how much I like my 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid it's done nothing to convince me to "go back" to Petrol - the instant and available torque/power of an excellent EV drive train is light years better than _ANY_ ICE motor when you're cruising at 80 mph in 8th gear and want to overtake - mechanical latencies can simply not compete with the "always on" characteristics of an EV drive train - my 2020 Taycan Turbo NEVER had _ANY_ lag and neither did any of my Tesla's or even my Chevy Bolt…

for us the Hybrid is simple an acceptable alternative while we wait for an acceptable Cayenne class SUV/EV - and it fits the bill of reducing our gasoline usage in that the Cayenne with in it's limited EV only power/range fits the bill for most of the "daily chores"…

today for example it easily handled our 18 miles round trip to get: bread, groceries, coffee, and fresh strawberries from the side of the road in Watsonville, CA - I left with a full tank of gas an came home with a full tank of gas and 30% left on the battery (which is now charging) - and the ICE motor never started or was needed - this included some 30 mph two lane roads, some 60-80 mph Hwy 1 north/south between Santa Cruz, CA and Watsonville, CA - and some coasting down hill using neither gas or EV power since it's all down hill and you only lightly ride the brake for speed control.

The Cayenne is comfortable, spacious and with air supension rides really really well. And while there is lag, horrible horrible lag if your metric is EV drive trains which mine is - should you decide to fire up the ICE motor - and give it a few seconds to down shift and more seconds to let the turbo's spin up - it has a glorious amount of power once it's all "online" - almost as good as my Taycan Turbo once it's all spun up - but it's about 15-20 seconds late to the party vs an excellent EV drive train - unless you drive around in sports plus all the time in the lowest gear possible…

what I found with a Hybrid is what I expected - I always want just a bit more "range" - and it seems ashame to haul around the ICE motor when I don't really want to run it all that often - what I really really want isn't yet made - which is a full Cayenne BEV with about 300 miles range an similar volume/capacities for interior space, and performance equal to or superior to Taycan…but that product does not yet exist - so the Cayenne fits the bill while we wait for the evolution of the industry offerings.

I will NOT trade my Cayenne Hybrid for a "lesser" EV - but I will have no remorse when an equivalent EV/SUV is available for purchase…for daily use for me personally there is nothing better than a quality high-performance EV drive train. I look forward to 2026/2027 for a Cayenne EV and have high hopes…and that's just about when my CPO 2021 Cayenne will be coming out of warranty…

The BMW iX M60 is a close fit for replacing the Cayenne Hybrid - but it's not quite as "fast" as the Cayenne and myself and my wife simply can not get over the cosmetics/styling of the vehicle being a huge miss for us personally. Having driven it however for about 4 hours a few moths back it is a serious EV/SUV and more than acceptable as a quality BEV/SUV for equivalent and typical SUV duties. I came really really close to swapping the Cayenne Hybrid for it - but a few things held me back:
  • external styling is a huge miss for me personally - YMMV
  • interior styling at the time only offered gold/bronze "finish/trim" - another huge miss for me personally
  • might as well wait for the NACS version
  • max/optimal charing speed is more than sufficient but lacking top rated ability
  • my Cayenne is fuss-free and under warranty until 2027 due to some early mechanical issues that Porsche had to resolve and I extracted accommodations given the early complexities of ownership of this particular vehicle…
but it came close as a suitable full EV alternative to the Cayenne which I'm super super excited to eventually adopt.

* - no matter how much a Hybrid is a "compromise" vs. a full BEV - I will admit it gives me no end of pleasure when seemly magically the vehicle can run for "miles" even on empty battery with the ICE motor completely shut down - I often drive to/from Santa Cruz to Silly-con Valley - which requires going over a modest pass (Hwy 17 north/south) where about 1/2 the journey is uphill followed by downhill segment - the Cayenne hybrid is simply brilliant on the downhill segments with it harvesting battery power with the ICE motor shut down and simply gliding downhill and yet AC is running, power steering, and all the accessories running and fully functional even though the ICE motor is "offline" - what most people don't realize is that Prosche has made the Cayenne basically a full EV - in that with the ICE motor shutdown it still needs to fully function - so everything "works" even with the ICE motor off - so it's a no compromise vehicle when running on pure EV - the only draw back to the EV only mode is the limited power and range - the vehicle is fully functional in every other way…and it brings a smile to my face everything it seems to pull magic power out of thin air even with the battery empty it can shut down the ICE motor and simply glide/function in EV mode with no downside…

** - auto-start/stop is simply brilliant and not an issue with a Hybrid such as the Cayenne - the seamless-ness with which it blends ICE power w/EV power will shock and delight any owner - there is simply no apparent transition with the EV/ICE powering being masterfully blended such that it "just works" - few if any friends/familiy and other "car people" have been unimpressed with the "hybrid" power blending - 99% are simply amazed and impressed when encountering it…

*** - the vehicle's ability to run "on empty" battery even when he battery is at zero % indicated on dash - the car will shut down the ICE motor and simply run on "nothing" at the drop of a hat and it works aggressively to optimize and recycle kinetic energy into usable range/motion/power - the vehicle and prossche's software is a master of optimization for range/power and even on long 350 miles stints and a 550+ HP V8 turbo I often achieve 28 mph or better - even though most of the trip the battery was "empty" - it finds every opportunity to harvest power and extend range and I've come away impressed after owning it since April of 2021…

all in all it's a great alternative vs going pure-ICE - but I will not have any remorse once I can get back into a full BEV/SUV when an appropriate product is presented to the market place. Until then there is no BEV/SUV that is better than than my Cayenne Hybrid - but the simple fact of it being a Hybrid means it's not as good as a full BEV…at least for me personally.

as with all things YMMV…
Thanks so much! This is beyond helpful. I’m with you on desiring a fully electric Cayenne.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
some real world data - personally I find the following to be quite impressive for a 550+ HP full SUV that can do 0-60 in less than 3.2 seconds and yet haul 5 adults and my daughter's dorm room home - and server daily errands - the pictures below will demonstrate actual real world usage for a 2021 Porsche Cayenne TurboS eHybrid

Stats:
  • 35012 miles
  • 30.6 mpg (30 MPG!!! for a V8 bi-turbo with 550+ HP)
    • this car will "keep up" with a Taycan Turbo in launch control - but it's all gotta be "spun up" and ready…to avoid the mechanical "lag"
  • 1178 driving "hours"
  • EV "only" hours 721 hours (or 61% of the cars "seat time behind the wheel" has been EV only)
  • 16315 miles of EV only range (46% of the total miles)
  • Today's errands were 1.02 hours of drive time with 0:43 minutes of EV only time - and no ICE usage
  • 14.2 miles of pure EV range today
my wife's 911 TurboS is lucky to get 18 mpg - so lets suggest a normal Cayenne V8 Turbo would be luck to get 21 mpg - 35012 / 21 = 1667 gallons of gasoline to drive 35,012 miles - @ $4.89 a gallon (I"m being generous given California gas prices) - that's $8151 in fuel costs in 4 years

but I'm getting 30.6 mpg - so I've only used 1144 gallons of fuel - or $5595 in fuel cost for the 35,012 miles - $2556 less in fuel costs - not a huge savings but not for nothing either…

also these stats don't reflect that the fact that with out road trips - we almost NEVER use the gas motor day to day - so we easily go 800-1500 miles for each tank of gas between fill ups when we're only doing daily errands - that's 6-8 weeks between gas station visits since we charge at home when ever we can…that's less than 9 visits to a gas station annually because it's a hybrid (if you exclude road trips)…

in any case I find the Hybrid to be quite impressive and an interesting and reasonable set of tradeoffs while I wait for my ideal BEV/SUV - but I've gotten 16,315 miles of EV only driving out of the Cayenne which is simply less wear tear on the ICE motor and less gasoline pumped/payed for and less time spent filling up my SUV - and I can still embarrass most sports cars off the line…

pic's below

Shortly after delivery on our road trip home from Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles
Porsche Taycan Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe IMG_0442 2

Today's "errands" - pretty typical - no ICE/gasoline usage
Porsche Taycan Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe IMG_3463

lifetime history for ICE motor
Porsche Taycan Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe IMG_3464

lifetime history for EV mode
Porsche Taycan Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe IMG_3465