utsteve98

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have fixed my charger so that it will not overheat when charging at 40 amp. I think the issue is that the wire that Porsche used for the pigtail and the cable to the car are 10 awg and rated for 40 amps at 194 degrees. I do not think the charger or car like 190 degrees F.

After charging for 3 hours at 40 amps in 95 degrees , I have measured the temperature at the car receptacle at over 170 degrees on the outside of the wire and over 200 degrees at the receptacle pins.

I re-wired the pigtail with #8 awg wire and bought a #8 awg extension cable to connect to the car. This dropped the temperature in the car receptacle from 218 degrees to 141 degrees.

My plug from the pigtail into the wall receptacle now runs at 112 degrees after 3 hours since the wire does not get as hot and does not heat the plug or charger as much.

I still have higher temp at the charger where the pigtail connects into the charger since I could not change the wire size in the connector to the charger.

The fix would be for Porsche to change the pigtail and the wire to the car with #8 awg wire. The larger wire flows the 40 amps with far less heat.
Where did you get the new pigtail from and did you have to modify the connection to the PMCC or was it a simple swap?
Sponsored

j_scheetz

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, mr2 Spyder, countach, 944 turbo, 914
Country flag
Where did you get the new pigtail from and did you have to modify the connection to the PMCC or was it a simple swap?
I had to make it. I bought an 18" long pigtail with the 8 awg wire and then cut apart the connector from a Porsche pigtail and joined the 2.