sulaiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
using an 11KW setup
can I charge 100% every time I charge my car which is every 3 days
coz as I understand Porsche is keeping a margin % of the battery as safety so even if it says 100% it's not
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you do not plan on keeping the car for a long time (e.g. if you have a 3 year lease), then charge however you want and your constant charging to 100% will become the next owner's problem. Charging past 80% of the full capacity (~90% of the net capacity) will increase stress on and degrade the battery. Leaving it sitting while charged > 90% makes it worse. The effect is cumulative, but will take several years to show up. If you don't NEED to charge beyond 80% - 85%, follow Porsche's recommendations. Charge to 100% when you need it but use a timer to achieve 100% at your departure time so the car isn't sitting idle charged at 100%.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
using an 11KW setup
can I charge 100% every time I charge my car which is every 3 days
coz as I understand Porsche is keeping a margin % of the battery as safety so even if it says 100% it's not
I think your method is fine, especially if you drive it every day. We plug-in when arriving home if below 50% and charge to 90% (100% if we expect to leave the next morning for longer trips). Charging at home is like trickle charging compared to high-powered DC charging and I remain convinced high-powered DC charging reduces the battery life more than anything you do at home, but have no evidence other than Porsche backing off from 270 kW charging to 250 kW.

Also, spent five years working closely with German and Dutch engineers - they may be the most conservative in the world, and I loved working with them. That experience caused me to switch from Japanese to German cars.
Sponsored