Dash Cam-what's everyone using?

Taycan191

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mercedes CLS 450 Edition 1, 2Taycan (Ordered)
Country flag
Sounds like a couple of the top picks are Blackvue DR-970X and Vantrue N4 Pro. What's been the experience for either and is anyone using the OBD port connection vs. hardwire? My understanding is that the Vantrue has a low voltage protection that automatically shuts down the dash cam when the battery drops to 11.6V. However, Vantrue says the OBD cable does not have the ACC function-what does the ACC function do?
Sponsored

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Blackvue 970x here, powered (for when parked) from a battery in the boot which recharges when the vehicle is powered up. Good images and very nice installation;, but connection by wifi is tricky (need to turn off carplay first) and it reboots occasionally, apparently improved by reformatting the SD card every month or so

Wovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I installed a Blackvue 970x last weekend and hardwired it into the fuse box with a fuse tap. Generally installation was easy, and I was able to hide all of the wires. The only difficulty was there seems to be some capacitor or something in the dash cam itself, and it was hard to get it to power up the first time from the fuse tap. I ended up using 10 amp fuses like a few other people on the forums recommended and I was able to get it to turn on after plugging it into the cigarette lighter charger and then immediately swapping to the fuse tap cable. It has been doing great since then, running pretty much 24 hours a day.
* Picture quality is good.
* The app is just OK. I typically have to disconnect from CarPlay to access the camera with the app, otherwise the phone just wants to reconnect to CarPlay.
* I also took a little bit of a risk and bought a “used - like new” one from Amazon, both from Amazon warehouse itself. The first box had both cameras in it, but was missing most of the wires. The second box had everything in it, and everything was brand new, except it was missing the mounting bracket for the rear camera. It was more of a pain to buy this way, but I wasn’t in a huge rush and it saved almost 50% off the price

OP
OP

Taycan191

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mercedes CLS 450 Edition 1, 2Taycan (Ordered)
Country flag
I installed a Blackvue 970x last weekend and hardwired it into the fuse box with a fuse tap. Generally installation was easy, and I was able to hide all of the wires. The only difficulty was there seems to be some capacitor or something in the dash cam itself, and it was hard to get it to power up the first time from the fuse tap. I ended up using 10 amp fuses like a few other people on the forums recommended and I was able to get it to turn on after plugging it into the cigarette lighter charger and then immediately swapping to the fuse tap cable. It has been doing great since then, running pretty much 24 hours a day.
* Picture quality is good.
* The app is just OK. I typically have to disconnect from CarPlay to access the camera with the app, otherwise the phone just wants to reconnect to CarPlay.
* I also took a little bit of a risk and bought a “used - like new” one from Amazon, both from Amazon warehouse itself. The first box had both cameras in it, but was missing most of the wires. The second box had everything in it, and everything was brand new, except it was missing the mounting bracket for the rear camera. It was more of a pain to buy this way, but I wasn’t in a huge rush and it saved almost 50% off the price
Thanks. Is there a video you used to show you how to wire it to the fuse box and how to hide the wires?

tez1

First Name
t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
Blackvue 970x here, powered (for when parked) from a battery in the boot which recharges when the vehicle is powered up. Good images and very nice installation;, but connection by wifi is tricky (need to turn off carplay first) and it reboots occasionally, apparently improved by reformatting the SD card every month or so
May I ask, where is it from and did the supplier install?

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
May I ask, where is it from and did the supplier install?
Sold and very professionally installed by blackvue.co.uk aka TTW Distribution. Well worth the drive and morning there. They have a lot of Porsche experience and are very thorough.
Sponsored