Does charging at 110 interfere with electric use in my sons house and will it be enough?

OP
OP

Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sl550, corvette c7
Country flag
So the nearest Evgo 100 kw station is 10 minutes away. 20 minutes there and back, a minimum 20 minutes charge for the return 110 mile trip. I only get to see my grandkids a few times and it’s hard to get away for an hour. The dryer with a 220 line is in the basement…to far away From the car. 110 seems not a good solution. I guess we’ll take my wife’s Lexus SUV. Or maybe pay for my son to install a 220/30 line.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like from 50% to 80% charge takes ~24 hours at 120/12. That would actually work for a 110 mile each way , 24 hour trip.
The problem is using the 110 outlet in the garage for 24 hours.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
So the nearest Evgo 100 kw station is 10 minutes away. 20 minutes there and back, a minimum 20 minutes charge for the return 110 mile trip. I only get to see my grandkids a few times and it’s hard to get away for an hour. The dryer with a 220 line is in the basement…to far away From the car. 110 seems not a good solution. I guess we’ll take my wife’s Lexus SUV. Or maybe pay for my son to install a 220/30 line.
if you pursue a 220/30 amp line you'll need to make sure to have NEMA 14-30/6-30 power supply cable for your PMC+/PMCC - suncoast parts can provide these parts - or you can purchase another EVSE that also has these types of adapters available…

here is the Porsche Factory 14-30 power supply cable for the PMC+/PMCC from suncoast parts…$120 + shipping/tax.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skuhybg2nema1430.html

porsche also makes a NEMA 6-30 Factory power supply cable but it's not listed by suncoast - NEMA 14-30 is the "modern" version of a dryer/water-heater plug so that should be fine.

if possible installation of a 14-50 power outlet int he garage would be better for your son, you, and any future occupants and should be the same cost as a 14-30 if no electrical panel upgrade is required - basically installing one of these outlets most of the cost is the labor - not the AMP size of the outlet (if it does not require upgrading the homes entire main panel).

I know you may not go this route, but I'd hate for you take this path and then show up with out the proper cable to plug into the outlet

take care and enjoy your time with the grand children.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also you don't have to focus on charging while you're there - a 10 min stop "along the way" either to/from your son's home would add the necessary excess capacity for the round trip - sometimes it's more efficient to pick one of the fast charging spots between point a & b and stop there - less overhead - and quick bio-break and snack and volia 10 minutes worth of charging at an easy off/on fast charger and you're done - then plugging in to the household outlet once there for 6-8 hour is gravy and some more buffer…

you can add the capacity you need at a fast charger anywhere along the trip on your way there or on your way back…

I've done a LOT of road tripping w/EV's since 2012 - the fast charging stop is honestly not that bad and can normally be done with minimal impact, especially since you need so little power and don't need to top off for a really long driving leg…

OP
OP

Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I tried charging at 120 in my home. The Porsche PMC+ will only charge at 50% or .6kw. This clearly won’t work. I’m not sure why I get the error message at 100%. im in PA Now and taking the turnpike to NY. Very few chargers on the turnpike I stopped at a rest stop…plenty of Tesla chargers but only 1 EVGO station operating.
still a work in progess.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I tried charging at 120 in my home. The Porsche PMC+ will only charge at 50% or .6kw. This clearly won’t work. I’m not sure why I get the error message at 100%. im in PA Now and taking the turnpike to NY. Very few chargers on the turnpike I stopped at a rest stop…plenty of Tesla chargers but only 1 EVGO station operating.
still a work in progess.
curious minds - where did we end up on this? you do not have to tell us - but hey - we're involved now :cool:

OP
OP

Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So there’s an electify America only a few miles out of the way I think . I think that’s the solution. I’m gonna try it next week I’ll let you know how it goes.
I practiced today as I never charge outside my home. After a couple glitches it worked fine
Sponsored